Calafia Cafe

650-322-9200

855 El Camino Real Ste 130 (at Town & Country Village), Palo Alto, California, USA, 94301

Serves meat, vegan options available. New American food restaurant. Prices are around $13-20 for a main which is moderate for this area. Around 40% of the menu is vegetarian, of which some are vegan suitable and marked VG. Casual, nice. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by AmandaT

Comically poor - Edit

Ugggh okay guys. So I'm not a vegetarian, but I have food sensitivities to milk and eggs so I often say 'vegan' as a shortcut. I'm also VERY gluten-intolerant. So. I explained this all to the waiter at the time.

I ordered a burger and fries and asked for no bun, no butter, etc. Mind you, this is a 'special' burger composed of filet mignon, various other meats, and is topped with a quail egg. It's also topped with fried onion rings normally, but I asked the server if that was breaded, and when he said 'yes', I asked him to leave that off as well.

Here comes my burger, with a bun and topped with onion rings. I ask for it to be returned. The service here is quite good, BTW -- my server cannot be faulted. He swore he'd told them about the gluten, and was very apologetic, whisking the meal away. I'm not sensitive enough for it touching the wheat to be a problem, so whatever.

Burger returns. No onion rings, but also the quail egg has disappeared. Why? I ask about it. After all, I'm paying a ridiculous amount for this burger -- seriously, well over $20 -- and the quail egg is part of what makes it 'special'.

Oops! I'll fix that immediately, ma'am!

Quail egg returns in a tiny dish of its own. Why?

Whatever. I cut into the burger, which looks greasy. It's undercooked -- blood squirts out (sorry vegetarians!) I ask if I could please have it well-done. This may well be my fault, since I don't remember saying how I wanted the burger cooked. However, it's customary to ask, which the server didn't.

By now the fries are cold -- they have the sense to top off my dish with hot fries so this isn't a concern. Good work!

The burger and fries taste average -- what I'd pay half the money for at any other place.

Nothing was taken off of my exorbitant bill for any of these mistakes, as you'd expect would happen at a restaurant where they value their customers and where a meal costs this much. I felt positively swindled. Avoid, avoid!

In general, my advice is to travel to nearby Mountain View for vegan and vegetarian food -- they seem to be much less interested in how things LOOK and more interested in how they TASTE and what they're made of than in Palo Alto, where there's a lot of glitz and not much substance.

Pros: Upscale atmosphere, Attentive service

Cons: Did not listen to dietary restrictions at all, Food ho-hum for exhorbitant prices, Very noisy, even in later evening

expensive and tiny portions, but tasty - Edit

came here for brunch and got the "no huevos rancheros" and the vegan pizza. The huevos rancheros were very tasty and the pizza was simply okay. Nothing to write home about. When we finished my partner was so hungry still he went across the street and bought more food for himself...

amazing food, service and atmosphere - Edit

Love this place, and a wonderful spot for vegans and non vegans to share a meal. I had the stuffed acorn with kale and apple and loved every bite. The vegan lovers plate has plenty of vegetables, lots of flavor and quite a feast. We split the vegan ice cream sampler and it was the best vegan ice cream I have ever had.

Great Food, Very Veg-Welcoming - Edit

This is my favorite restaurant in Palo Alto, conveniently located (for me) near Stanford campus. Their menu is half "plant- eaters" and half "meat- eaters"--a whole page for each-- with vegan, gluten free, and dairy free items clearly marked. Vegan and vegetarian items range from lighter salads and vegetable sides, which are usually plenty satisfying for me, to more substantial items like pizzas, noodle bowls, paninis and burgers. Everything I've had there has tasted excellent, and I love how healthy many of the options are (I need lots of veggies, or I'm not happy).
The best part is that all of the friends/family I've taken there love it too: vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores alike. Even my picky meat-loving cousin loves it there!

The only downside is that it's a little pricey, especially on a student budget.

Pros: Lots of options, delicious food, can go with picky eaters and omnivores

Cons: money

Return to Palo Alto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Calafia Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.