Calactus Cafe

Food is fresh and nicely presented. Non smoking. Parking lot is next to restaurant. Prices moderate to slightly more. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Canadian

First Review by PickyVeggiePup

Calactus - Best Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

This is my family's favorite vegetarian restaurant in the world [and we're from nyc]. Food is tasty, staff is super friendly, portions are perfectly sized. This is where we go for "comfort food." Special kids menu with appropriate sized portions. Each child receives a placemat to draw on and a box of crayons or colored pencils. There are also a handful of board games and books to borrow. Specials of the day are great value. Place can get crowded and hot and service tends to cross line from relaxed to slow.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice vibe

Cons: can get crowded and service may suffer

Good food and cozy atmosphere - Edit

We stopped at Calactus for lunch on a long drive through New Brunswick in mid August, 2015 and had a wonderful lunch. It's definitely worth the detour from the highway (took about 10' from the interstate). Most items were not vegan but some could be adapted, and they were able to make some dishes gluten-free. Very enjoyable. If I lived nearby, I would visit regularly. Calactus has a nice vibe.

Pros: All vegetarian, Some vegan options, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Vegan dishes required modification

Delicious comfort food - Edit

I heard great things about Calactus so I had to stop in while I was in Moncton. I love how most of the tables were separated by curtains, which made them a little more private. Our waitress was very friendly, upbeat and chatty, which was great. I had just finished a bodybuilding show and was craving comfort food. I ordered the lasagna, made vegan with tofu cream on top. It came with garlic bread and a salad. It really hit the spot and the portion was perfect. My boyfriend got an Indian dish, which was delicious too

Pros: friendly staff, delicious comfort food, good portions

Cons: lots of cheese on the menu

great for non-vegetarian friends/family! - Edit

The food is delicious in my opinion, though its not always the healthiest since they have lots of items burgers, pizza, nachos, etc. But they are still obviously some other great picks on the menu as well. I love going there with my family (big meat eaters) because they can always enjoy one of their dishes without even missing the meat since they're so tasty! Would definitely recommend, since its basically the only vegetarian reataurant in town.

Pros: tasty food, reasonable prices

Cons: not all dishes are that healthy

Great option in a city with very limited options. - Edit

I have been to Calactus 4-5x over the last few years. The servers are always pleasant, as is the environment. The menu is very cheese heavy, but they can make most dishes vegan upon request (I am always disappointed when good restaurants over use cheese, as it is really not necessary in their dishes). The food is good, not great, but I'd happily return.

Pros: Vegan optoins

Cons: Too much cheese, Lunch can be expensive

Continues To Get Better - Edit

Over the last decade, I have always eaten at the Calactus when travelling through Moncton. The food is always better every time we eat there and it was great to start with. This time, I had the soup of the day, the burger and cheesecake for dessert. Today, there was a line waiting to be seated so the word appears to be out. The place has a nice atmosphere, friendly staff and large portions.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 06, 2014

Pros: Satisfying vegan food, Lots of menu choice, Positive atmosphere

My New Favourite! - Edit

So this is probably my new favourite restaurant I have ever been to for vegan cuisine. The atmosphere is really nice, I love the decor and how warm and cheery it feels. The service was prompt and friendly and the food is to die for. My husband and I, being vegan, ordered all the options veganized since this is something they offer. I believe almost everything on the menu can be made vegan. We started with a banana chocolate shake, followed by the Texan nachos and finishing with a big marc burger. Everything was incredible and as I said, probably the best vegan food I have ever eaten. Definitely will be back.

Pros: Huge vegan menu, Fast, Great atmosphere

Cons: Serves dairy, A little noisy

Tasty food in a pleasant setting - Edit

The food and atmosphere all provide a sense of comfort, while the all vegetarian or vegan menu provides tasty, fun options.
The staff are reasonably attentive, and are all bilingual in French and English, and the food represents good value. In Moncton, which like all of Atlantic Canada provides few options for vegetarians, Calactus Cafe provides a very important option in a region that has very few such options.

Pros: Tasty Food, Moderate Price, Pleasant Atmosphere

Cons: Can be crowded

Awesome - Edit

Passing thru Moncton. Came across this great veg restaurant. Very busy which is a good sign. Dined there two days in a row. Loved it!

Pros: Friendly, Great menu, Will work with your diet perks

Great atmosphere, Great food. - Edit

As a vegan there are almost no places for me to go out and eat at. I am so happy to have at least one really good restaurant to go to. Calactus has a very nice atmosphere, always having a fresh flower on the table and candles lit. The food is amazing, I am able to veganize almost all items on the menu. Instead of cheese on the lasagna or mushroom cannelloni they bake tofu cream balls. It's absolutely delicious! The veggie quesadilla appetizer with tofu cream instead of cheese is yum, the lasagna yum, the pakoras with prune chutney yum, the marc burger yum, the garden salad yum, the fruit smoothie yum, need I go on? The only problem is the price. It's definitely a treat when I go there, because it adds up fast if you are getting appetizers and desserts or drinks. You get what you pay for though. Healthy, good quality meals. I will be back soon. :)

Pros: Vegan friendly, Options to alter meals, Healthy

Cons: Expensive, Not entirely vegan, Small portions

A wonderful surprise - Edit

We were recently in the East coast of Canada and were very pleasantly surprised to find the Calactus Cafe.
It was a nice night and we sat on the patio which was very relaxing.
Our waitress's name was Andrea and she was a delight and was very knowledagble about the menu. The restaurant is ovo lacto but every thing can be made vegan.
My husband started with the minestrone soup which he said was great.
He then had the enchalada with soy meat and cashew "cheese" and it came with guacamole and rice salsa & chips . It was a huge plateful and was very good and welcome in a province that only knows from lobster every where !!!!
I had the black bean borrito with tofu "cream "and it came with guacamole salsa and chips and ahuge mound of rice.
It was all very yummy.
We even had a choc brownie for desert which was a delight.
I would return to Calactus Cafe if I was in Moncton again.

Pros: good food, knowledgable staff, good value

A vegan's delight - Edit

Calactus is an excellent restaurant.
The food is all veg and very vegan friendly.
I highly recommend it and we are actually eating there again tonight..
My favorite is the Indian pizza with Tofu cream instead of cheese with the shalome salad
And of course the pakoras as an app are not to be missed.!!

Pros: Excellent food, Many choices, Vegan friendly

Cons: The brownie is a bit dry/no vegan ice cream

Love it! - Edit

Great spot!! Very veg and raw vegan friendly.

Food is not gourmet, but we enjoy eating there non-the-less. Their salads could use some work. Highly recommended! Best vegetarian restaurant in Moncton.

All vegetarian menu!

So happy to find this place - Edit

We arrived in Moncton at the end of our two-week vacation in Atlantic Canada, and this was our first stop in town. The inside of the restaurant is lovely and the service was warm and attentive. We arrived between lunch and dinner and so the restaurant was not too crowded. My kids loved the decor and were very happy when the waitress brought coloring pencils and paper.

My children ordered the mini lasagna bolonese, a kids' veggie burger and a small falafel plate. My husband had a veggie burger and I had the "Calactus Club," if I remember correctly. We also ordered some green salads. The restaurant does not offer non-dairy cheese but the cheese can be omitted from dishes if requested. We also ordered the fruit smoothies (blueberry, strawberry, banana) which were a hit. There was a nice selection of wine, and my husband and I each ordered a glass.

I can completely understand why people love this restaurant. The food was very fresh and carefully prepared. However, I did not love the dressing on my salad or my sandwich. There was a very pungent herb used in both--I think it was the rosemary--that gave it a bitter flavor. My girls did not like their lasagna with the chunks of zucchini and vegetables, although they did pick out the noodles. I am told the veggie burgers and the falafel plate were tasty. We ordered two desserts, and both were tasty.

I forget what our bill was, but I wasn't that surprised. It was comparable to what we would have paid in New York, and we had ordered a lot of food. Of course, we were not in New York, but during our entire two week vacation I found there were not many bargains at restaurants in Canada. We would have returned but we were only in Moncton for a short time.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, pleasant interior

Cons: not cheap

Return to Moncton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Calactus Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.