Cakewalk Baking Company

• Bakery Bakery
  • Vegan
Contact 801-860-5473

145 East 1300 South Ste 201, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84115

Mar 2014 moved from 566 W 1350 S into same space as Frisch Eatery. Currently accepting email orders only - see website. Vegan bakery goods include: dillos (vegan snack cakes, like twinkies), cupcakes, cookies and more. Mon-Fri 6:00am-8:00pm, Sat 8:00am-3:00pm

First Review by biflhop

Not The Best In Town - Edit

These guys do not take the crown when it comes to vegan baking in SLC. City Cakes does. However, I do love their Thai dillos and a few other items. The selections are limited and pricey, I wouldn't come here if I was looking to pig out, but it is still yummy, I just wish they had more options.

Pros: Yummy, Vegan "Twinkies", Located In Frisch's

Cons: Small, Pricey, Limited Items

Delicious and Satisfying - New location OPEN! - Edit

I stopped by yesterday for lunch at Frisch, and was happy to find a selection of delicious cupcakes and treats made by Cakewalk Baking Company as well. They are located at 145 East 1300 South Suite 201 in Salt Lake City. I tried a chocolate peanut butter cupcake. It exceeded my expectations. The consistency was perfect, and it had a mouth watering peanut butter mousse filling, topped with another layer of chocolate. I would definitely recommend trying one of their delicious creations.

Pros: Great new location, Delicious vegan desserts, Staff is very friendly and nice

Cons: Not a huge selection

Seriously disappointing - Edit

Worst experience ever. They shouldn't be charging any amount of money for the baked goods they sell. I don't know how they got this far. I would have not given a negative review. But this isn't the first time that the baked goods have tasted gritty and almost stale. The cupcake I got this last time was almost like a rock. If you are selling day old (or older) please tell me first and at least reduce the price (although it shouldn't even be sold in that state).

ew - Edit

Finally stopped in to try a cupcake & the "legendary" twinkies. I was not impressed. The cupcake was dry and reminded me of something I would get at a walmart bakery. The twinkie thing was slightly better. But nothing worth writing home about. I'll skip this place from now on. 1 star for being vegan.

Pros: vegan

Cons: dry, not good, small location

Not a fan. - Edit

It sucks to say this, but Cakewalk just doesn't make the cut as far as taste goes. I feel like she honestly is just using recipes from Post Punk Kitchen and sadly not doing them justice. I really wish I could be more positive about an all vegan establishment, but the treats taste very "earthy" almost gritty. The fillings and frostings often have a very chalky taste. That being said... it is all vegan. Which is a plus. But, I would much rather go down the street to City Cakes. The location also feels very awkward. The dildos (vegan twinkies) aren't something that really "wow!" you either. They fall short a great deal in almost all their products. Customer service was also terrible, would have loved to express my feelings with the store in a positive manner. But, the employee behind the counter (not the owner) seemed extremely annoyed and irritated that I was even in the store ordering food.

I wish them luck, but really hope they take criticisms like this as an opportunity to improve their product and not as an attack.

Pros: All Vegan

Cons: Gross Food, Awkward location, Poor Attitude

Pretty and Tasty Sweets! - Edit

Cute bakery! Unfortunately, they were out of soft serve, although I really enjoyed the Boston-creme filled cupcake and lemon chiffon cake. All the desserts in the case were beautifully-decorated and I'm sure they tasted as good as they looked. Prices were reasonable as well.

Meh - Edit

I'm honestly not a huge fan of this place. When it comes to vegan bakeries in SLC I would much rather go to City Cakes.

While Cakewalk is 100% vegan and I like to support that, their food just isn't there. It seems like everything I get there tastes like earth balance and grits with sugar crystals. It's all too sweet and too fatty tasting.

They do have dillos (vegan twinkies) that are worth a try, but they're not something I would ever eat again.

Their store front is small and it's kind of awkward to hang around.

They also do catering, which is great, but everything I have had catered from them was gross. Their cakes taste like bread with frosting on them and their pecan pie was nasty.

Yummy! - Edit

I took my non-vegetarian friend there to try the treats and it was also my first time ever trying their goods. I loved their vanilla cupcakes and the brownies with peanutbutter! I also tried their pizzawheel bagel and that was delish!

Thinking about getting a bunch of cupcakes from there for my birthday and having all my non-veg friends try them, then surprising them with the fact that they're totally vegan. ;) Shall be a fun experiment!

Wow! - Edit

I can't believe this place is vegan! I had not been able to make it to the other location because it was too far, and now that they're in SLC I am sad that I waited so long.

These treats are so good! I have been taking my non vegan friends to Cakewalk to try treats and they all LOVE everything. I'm really proud to have such an incredible vegan spot in my city. The eclairs, the Dillos, and the Peanut Butter Massacre, are to die for! I also really love how involved everyone that works there is in raising awareness to animals rights issues, and answering questions that non vegans have.

Thank you Cakewalk!

Great cakes! - Edit

If cakewalk is open and we are driving on I-15, there no question - we're stopping to pick something up. Entirely vegan bakery. We've ordered custom cakes at least a dozen times and they are always amazing. We serve at parties and even our non-vegan friends agree they are some of the best cakes around - hands down. Our favorite is the cookies and cream cake. If you stop in without ordering, pick up a "dillo" - something like a vegan twinkie.

Really close to the highway so very easy to get to, but its behind a chinese restaurant so don't be discouraged if you drive by and don't see it - go in back. New location just opened in Salt Lake City too.

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cakewalk Baking Company closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 923 times since May 2010.