First Review by LindaFern

My favourite Cafe in London :) - Edit

I love this place. When I am in London, I always try to visit and I have never been disappointed. I love their soups, burgers and the cakes.... heaven :)
I have ordered a vegan cake there twice (one was gluten-free and sugar-free) and they both were super-tasty :)
The staff is always very friendly, helpful and the place is beautifully-decorated.

Pros: Not expensive, Many options, Friendly staff, cakes to order

Excellent cake - Edit

Cute little shop near where Loving Hut used to be. Good range of cakes - we had Apple pie and tiramisu, whuch were both really good. Huge portion of Apple pie. They seem to have a big savoury selection too, we didn't try any - peopl at the other table did have breakfasts, but seem to have left a lot of theirs.

Pros: Great range of vegan cake , Friendly staff , Nice little spot

Cons: Doesn't seem to be doing much business

Original place - Edit

Went there for a typical English breakfast and wasn't disappointed. Beans, veggie sausage, fried tomato and scrambled tofu with turmeric made my day. The almond cappuccino was not of my taste though. It's almond flavor was a bit too strong for me.

Pros: Friendly staff, Original treats, Good value

Cons: Too many artificial flavors

Cozy place and tasty cakes! - Edit

I was here with my (non-vegan) boyfriend and we tried the tiramisu and the whoopie pie. We both thought it was tasty but the whoopie pie was a bit dry. The staff was friendly and welcoming and the service was quick!

The place in itself was cozy and I wouldn't mind another visit!

Pros: Cozy place, tasty cake, friendly and welcoming staff

Cons: A bit dry whoopie pie

disappointment - Edit

I was looking forward to this one.. As another review says, they should stick to cakes and leave the savoury. My cake had obviously been made a couple of days before as it was dry and with a weird texture. The famous Hazelnut Crisp Latte Macchiato took ages and would taste better from a Costa (the "crisp" bit is made up). As well as taking ages the staff gave us bad looks when we asked how long it would take. The place wasn't that busy, they were just messing about and ignoring us. If they don't want another customer well, that's settled with me.

Pros: good location

Cons: poor quality, unfriendly, overpriced

Lovely food, great atmosphere and quiet location. - Edit

A wonderful little cafe on a quiet side street in Camden; perfect if you want to avoid the overcrowded main stretch.

The staff are very friendly and the food is great, and very reasonably priced.
For savoury food expect a soup of the day, burgers, sandwiches, all-day-breakfast and some salads. They also have a great selection of smoothies and milkshakes. My favourites: breakfast, Thai burger, green smoothie, scrambled tofu bagel and the soups.

As for their speciality - the cakes - these are phenomenal and I can't recommend them enough. The tiramisu is the best I've ever had, and that includes the non-vegan ones I've tried in the past. I've tried most of their layer cakes and I'm yet to be disappointed.

Me and my girlfriend are regulars here and we always look forward to our visits.

Pros: Friendly staff, Excellent food, Good prices

Very welcoming with delicious food - Edit

I am not vegan or vegetarian but a vegan friend introduced me to this quaint little coffee shop. The first few times we went in, we only had cake and coffee but then I was tempted with the savoury lunch menu. I had a gluten-free cheese and sweet onion sandwich and it is one of the best sandwiches I've had! Fresh ingredients, amazing gluten-free bread, healthy veggies with pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I'm really looking forward to trying their other savoury foods. I also brought home a selection of cakes for me and my family to try with a cup of tea - lovely. Not sure what cake I had but it was chocolate and had peanut butter as an ingredient and it was divine.

The prices are good for London, well worth every penny and they are always so friendly and welcoming. Definitely my new favourite coffee shop.
Updated from previous review on Monday July 28, 2014

Pros: Delicious, creative selection of food, Warm, welcoming staff, Nice atmosphere

Delicious, Fast & Friendly - Edit

A great range of vegan food. The burgers are delicious. But the really good stuff is the cakes and milkshakes!
The service was fast and I like the small town cafe feel.
I can't recommend this place enough!

Pros: Entirely Vegan, Fast Service, Very Tasty Food

Best Vegan Cakes in London, probably the UK!! - Edit

I work in Camden so pop down to Cakes 'N' Treats pretty often for lunch or early dinner. I love their burgers, I love their bagels, I love their coffee, their soft drinks, the decor, the friendly staff...

...But the cakes are just mental! The best vegan cakes I've ever tried in the UK without a doubt! If I go there and don't bring one home for my girlfriend I'm in big trouble :)

Fab! - Edit

I live locally and this place has truly delicious foodstuff. I am vegetarian eating lots of dairy and this place has vegan food which is yummy for my taste buds unlike the boring vegan meals I have experienced in other places in the past.

Pros: cakes, tiramisu , relaxed

Great Vegan Cafe - Edit

A great addition to Camden's ever-growing vegan scene!

Great selection of cakes - double chocolate is highly recommended - and some really nice savoury options. They also make some pretty amazing looking celebration cakes to order.

Prices are pretty low for a place like this and staff are really helpful and friendly.

Pros: Great cakes, Good selection of burgers etc, Really good value

Einzigartig - Edit

Great place to have a vegan breakfast or German "kaffee und kuchen" (afternoon coffee and cake). They do some interesting coffees along with the many cake options. My biggest problem with this café to date has been to make a choice. They do orders too and I had a fantastic vegan black forest gateau for a birthday party. Friendly staff too.

Pros: Wide choice, Friendly staff, Relaxed

Cons: Small, limited seating

delicious!!!! - Edit

I had a 'Turkey' bagel which was so beautiful. Followed by an Oreo cake which was equally as delicious! I bought a whoopie pie and ate it later on, it was perfect. Thank you cakes n treats, you have a lovely little shop with delicious food and friendly staff :)

Pros: delicious food, so much variety! , lovely setting, loved the cute hearts and decor

Heaven ! - Edit

I absolutely love their cakes, muffins and cookies - all of which are vegan. Having tried my hand at making cruelty-free muffins myself, their own are really delicious, plus their chocolate cake is incredible.

Pros: Delicious, Cruelty-free, Inexpensive

Amazing Vegan Delicious Food - Edit

We loved everything here, everything was great, both sour and savory. The burgers were incredible, the emplyees were nice. It was so great we just had to return.

Pros: Tasty Food, Tasty Cakes, Amazing Cupcakes

Cons: Nothing!

The Last Thing I Need - Edit

Picked up a 'snickers' cake in passing and it was fantastic. All the other cakes and treats looked amazing too. I am so glad I don't live in Camden anymore so that I don't have the temptation to eat my own weight in cake every day. Will certainly return and hope to try some of the savoury offerings as well.

Pros: Cake, Lots Of Cake, Other Vegan Food Beside Cake

Cons: Nothing Obvious

The best vegan cakes in London!! - Edit

Cakes and treats is one of my fave places to go for afternoon tea :) They have a large variety of cakes and other treats such as, cupcakes, cookies and croissants, they also serve a variety of savoury products too, these are ok but the portions are slightly small. However the cake slices you get for £3.50 are very large. Perfect!! They also do custom made to order birthday and wedding cakes. I had one for my birthday and was very impressed by the quality and precision to detail of my strawberry cream cake :) Also they do a quality white coffee and a chocolate split latte ;)

Pros: Large cake portions, Good value, Friendly Service

Cons: Not much seating

INCREDIBLE CREATIVITY AND IT IS ALL EVEN VEGAN - Edit

i could not believe what i first saw when it opened
i did not think the food was 100% vegan
a huge sweet delicious variety of pastries
u gotta try the food ,amazing for sweets

the marzipan coated in dough ->just amazing

Pros: big variety, delicious sweets, happy people

Cons: not too healthy , location a bit too small

Delicious!!!! - Edit

The cafe is quite small but when we went there around 2pm on Sunday it was not so busy so we could easily find a table for 2.
We tasted the all day English breaksfast and it was siply delicious, served with sausaged, scrambled tofu, mushrooms, tomato and bread with butter.
For dessert we had to taste one of their beautiful cupcakes and it was really worth a try. Being a huge fan of cupcake I particularly loved their creamy but not heavy topping!
We also bought some cake slices to take away.
I really recommand this place where the decoration makes you fee like you're having tea with Alice in Wonderland :-)

Pros: Excellent food, Variety of cupcakes flavours, Price

Cons: Small place

Incredible Eats! - Edit

Had lunch here yesterday and it was fabulous! Two bites into my cheeseburger and I realised I should have taken a pic...so I definitely will next time! And the cupcake - holy moly! Kim, the owner, was really personable and clearly talented. A definite plus for the neighborhood...

Pros: food, service, price

Cons: none

Nice friendly little cafe - Edit

We ended up here as Loving Hut was closed (when its website says it was open - disappointing) but it was a pleasant alternative. Had a lovely cheese burger, shake and cake. The cakes are amazing. The lady serving was also very sweet and friendly and it had a nice atmosphere.

Pros: Cakes, Friendly, Good value

Cons: Cramped if busy

slightly disappointed - Edit

I had a burger here followed by a cake.
The burger was nice enough, the sauce inside was tasty. I wasn't too keen on the cake though, it was something like orange and vanilla flavour and it was sort of stodgy.
The cafe itself is small inside and a bit cramped, the seats look nice but are not built for comfort. It would also be nice if you didn't have to ask for condiments like ketchup on the table. This had to be borrowed from the kitchen and returned.
However I hope the cake I had just wasn't to my taste. I will return to try out a few more of the cakes and drinks that looked nice. Also they are doing vegan breakfast now that I would like to try.

Pros: all-vegan, ok prices for Camden

Cons: cramped/uncomfortable

Gorgeous cafe with delicious food. - Edit

What a delightful and delicious cafe. I had a "chicken" bagel and then a piece of orange buttercream chocolate cake for dessert. I was in heaven. The bagel was so tasty, fresh and delicious. The cake was huge...really good value for money and heavenly. The lady serving was really helpful and friendly. I'll definitely be visiting here again when in the area. Belissimo!

Pros: Delicious food, Reasonable prices, Friendly staff

Cakes in Camden - Edit

We loved the fact that there was all-vegan cafe where you could eat delicious vegan cakes and drink vegan coffee/hot chocolate, amongst other things. Cake slices are big, as well as coffee and hot chocolate. We loved the interior, the service. Everything was remarkable. Highly recommended.

Pros: All-vegan

Great addition for vegan food - Edit

I was amazed when I entered this little cafe in Camden. Just up the road form All Ages Records, Pratt Street can now be my main street to visit while in London.

There were cakes galore, vegan croissants and cookies. The problem was what to order. Spoilt for choice in the extreme. I then looked around and there was a small hot food selection too. Vege Burgers, veg hotdogs and moct meat sandwiches. The sort of place you can bring people to and they won't view you as the last hippy from the 60's.

I loved it. I wish I had more room for more food on the day

Pros: Great selection of vegan cakes, Vegan Croissants, friendly staff

Cons: a little small

Disappointed :| - Edit

Went with a group of friends, one of whom is also vegan. It's very small inside so had to wait a bit for a place to sit.
I had a latte and a chocolate chip cookie. Latte was fine but the cookie was SO dry and cement like. I had to take a sip of tea and then take a bite to be able to swallow it. My friends had a slice of cake and they liked it so maybe I just picked the wrong thing!

Pros: Variety, Location

Cons: Small, Slow staff

disappointed - Edit

Pros: vegan
Cons: expensive, slow, unfriendly
Maybe it is just me, but I was really disappointed with this place and I had looked forward to my first visit for so long.
The cake was nice enough and reasonably priced but the milkshakes were a woeful, overpriced joke. At £4.50 each I did expect something that tasted nicer than Nesquick powder in soya milk. The girl behind the counter when downstairs to slowly make each one which meant my partner had finished by the time I got mine.
The menu wasn't very inspiring and I think for this new venture to survive they need to specialise and find their niche. Maybe improving or dropping the milkshakes would be a good start and as a previous reviewer suggested, drop the savory menu and concentrate on, oh I don't know - cakes and treats?

Pros: vegan

Cons: slow, unfriendly , overpriced

Loved it! - Edit

My daughter and I were in London for a couple of days and were desperate to try out this new vegan cake and tea place. The first time we went I tried the hotdog, which was very tasty but a bit on the cold side. My daughter raved about the huge slice of chocolate cake and scoffed the lot. We went again before leaving London and this time I had the apple tart and cream and my daughter tried the lemon cake. The tart was very nice and the cake good too, but not as good (or as big a slice!) as the chocolate cake she'd had on our first visit. It was great to see the vegan philosophy carried through to the soaps provided in the toilets but I admit I was surprised to see that only one small cloth towel was provided for drying your hands. Even more surprising was that it was very wet and not that clean. We'll definitely be back next time we're in London! Hope they sort the hand towels out though...

Pros: Good food, Resonable prices

Cons: Hot food a bit too cool, Hand towel in the toilets

Great little Vegan find in the heart of Camden. - Edit

I was really excited to come across Cakes N Treats on Happy Cow.
I was actually searching for Vegan restaurants in North London and I spotted this little gem.
As a vegan with a sweet tooth :) I felt compelled to visit as soon as possible. So I did.
The atmosphere is very cool, and has been decorated in a modern tea shop style, with beautiful mirrors and minimalist decor. and the choice of cakes was wonderful. I was completely spoilt for choice! Everything looked so enticing, there were cakes, cup cakes, pastries, croissants, slices and more! As well as a selection of savory food.
I was interested to see that you can also order novelty and specialized cakes for your loved ones and for all occasions. I will defiantly be bearing this in mind for the future as I've previously traveled quite far out of London to buy Vegan novelty cakes.

As we had arrived at about 2.30, and seeing that vegan burgers were on offer, I ordered one.
As a vegan, I love veggie burgers, but sadly I didn't feel that the burgers were a strong point .
It was quite cold when it arrived and was very small for £4.50. I asked the waitress if it could be re-heated, but when she came back, she presented me with freshly cooked one. I felt this was incredibly good and fast customer service, but I have to be honest in saying I just really didn't enjoy the burger. I have uploaded a photograph of it for you to see.
But the cakes however were another matter!! Absolutely delicious. I tried a slice of cookie dough cake, a slice of double chocolate cake and a chocolate croissant (to take home) :)
The chocolate cake was one of the best I've ever tasted, I liked the addition of little tiny chocolate drops or buttons in between the filling and the cake layers, I felt this was a very original touch and added to the texture of the cake too. The cookie dough cake was also lovely.

I think my advice would be to stop the savory foods or adapt the menu, but mainly focus just on being a fabulous vegan tea and cake shop.
I very much look forward to returning with friends and spreading the word about this great little find in the heart of Camden.

Pros: Absolutely delicious cakes, Lovely atmosphere , in the heart of Camden

Cons: I found the vegan burger disappointing

Lovely - Edit

Went on a Sunday afternoon, lovely space. Case in front with cakes, etc. Really friendly woman working counter. Had a very nice cake and a shortbread cookie (which was very like a NYC black-and-white cookie), both delicious. Small menu of savory sandwiches and salads.

Pros: lovely space, friendly staff

Return to North West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cakes 'N' Treats closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7543 times since Sep 2013.