CLOSED: Cakes n Treats

Contact 0231-28210009

Bissenkamp 11-13, Dortmund, Germany, 44135

A melange of Viennese cafe, art exhibition, and bakery. Makes a variety of vegan cakes and treats, crepes, waffles, shakes, and coffee drinks made with vegan milk alternatives. Also offers vegan burgers, salads, bagel sandwiches with meat alternatives. SEPT 2014 SHUT - CHANGED OWNER AND NAME TO BEWITCHED CAFE - SEE THAT LISTING.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Take-out, Bakery, German

First Review by LindaLoveletmego

just as bad as London - Edit

I was disappointed to say the least. Nothing was freshly baked, the staff were unfriendly, it wasn't very clean and quite expensive.

Pros: vegan

Cons: expensive, dirty, unfriendly

Yahoo!! - Edit

I am a huge fan of Cakes n Treats, which is a welcome addition to the Dortmund landscape. I've been visiting the city for almost ten years, and it was often hard to get interesting fare. That's all changed with this great vegan restaurant and bakery. The food here is good, though not my absolute favourite. The bagels are solid and the burgers the usual packaged stuff. What makes this place special are the desserts, the shakes (YUM!) and the vegan coffees. Most of all, however, is the DO NOT MISS amazing Sunday brunch. To all vegans: if you are anywhere near Dortmund on a Sunday, make a reservation (you need one) and trek to Dortmund for this exceptional extravaganza. For 13.50 you will eat like a King or Queen, and thank me for the rest of your days. It is an all you can eat spread full of so many dishes I thank my lucky stars that I am going for the second time today. THe desserts alone make it worth the trip. There is a dark chocolate fountain for dipping fruit skewers, for Heaven's sake, and I almost fainted over their lovely caramel parfait, amongst other delights. Do not miss. Make the side trip from Cologne or wherever you are, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 24, 2012

NOTE: While it is still a good place to visit, the quality overall seems to have declined a bit from my original rave review. Our second brunch was more in the average range, and other meals have been just good, not great.

Updated from previous review on Saturday April 12, 2014

Pros: Sunday Brunch!!!

GREAT STYLE - Edit

like the partner one in london u really gotta c this place

tasty food,not always healthy though,lots sugar

but if u dont care, this is really ur place then

very creative regarding the food design

Pros: tasty food, creative design, warm people

Cons: not too healthy , small variety

Greatplace - Edit

I ordered dish od the day raw veggy noodles with cashew-mushroom sauce - it was deliciuous and price worthy. Also apple pie was light and sophisticated. Big portion of latte was the happy end of my dinner. Highy reommend!

Pros: Delicious food, Great cakes, Nice provence-style furniture

Cons: A little bit untidy tables

nice people and good food - Edit

It was a rainy day and we were not finding food in the Weihnachtsmarkt when we finally found this place. They were very nice, spoke English and let us use credit card (uncommon so far almost anywhere else we went in Germany). Savory food was good but dessert was definitely great. Desserts here a total must. Another point is that I dont think it is expensive. So, try it if you are there!

Pros: They speak English, They accept credit cards, friendly staff

Cons: Savory food could have more flavor

Deserve all the compliments it gets - Edit

The excited reviews here are completely right. When I read them I asked myself: "Can a place be SO good?" After I ate there, I answered: "Yes, it can!"

I came with high expectations and this can lead to a disappointment, but not in this case. Everything was delicious.

I knew I have only one day in Dortmund, so I tried to eat as much as possible: Cupcake and shake banana-mango for breakfast, Chocolate crepe and a cake after lunch, and then some other things for take-away. I enjoyed all of these foods, and the nice workers there added to the good feeling.

The vegan supermarket has a lot of interesting stuff too.

With this place and with the great football team of Borussia Dortmund, The city of Dortmund becomes one of my favorite cities in the world.

Pros: Food , People, Location

Totally Wonderland! - Edit

This is probably the cutest place I've ever been. You instantly feel like Alice in Wonderland with the lavender walls and the antique dishes, but it's still not overly "girly".
The cakes look great as well, almost too great to eat, but they also taste great. They might be a little less sweet, at least to my taste buds, but it's just a little *might* and they still are so delicious and addictive!
The owner has also wirtten a book about vegan baking, you can get it in the vegan supermarket next door (if it's not sold out).
Same for the not-sweet products. They can use the best fake-products with the vegan supermarket right next to it, so all the snacks taste quite "real" and great. I had my first cheeseburger for ages there; I came with high expectations and was totally satisfied! As for the whole menu, the snack menu is quite big, so you can finally eat (almost) every non-vegan junk food that you might have missed.
They're located just a five-minute walk from the central. So if you ever come to Dortmund go there, and if it's just to enjoy the atmosphere with a cup of tea.

Pros: Atmosphere!, Tastes great, huge menu

Such a lovely place! - Edit

I've visited the Cakes 'n' Treats at least a dozen times and it's really cute-looking and the cakes and cupcakes are just delicious!

They also offer special treats on different days, like vegan doner kebabs on Thursdays or a brunch on Sunday, which is awesome, by the way - for a fixed price you can eat as much as you want and it's really yummy!

I'm also happy about the "doner kebab day" as there is - as far as I know - no other diner in the Ruhr area which offers doner kebabs.

There are also special events taking place every once in a while and there's a vegan shop right next to it, so it's definitely worth a visit!

PS. Try the lavender lemon cake if they offer it - it's divine!

Pros: delicious, brunch, doner kebab

Cons: pricey

great place - Edit

I had a tremendous cupcake which was really tasty.
I love the atmosphere and the hardcore lookalike waiters in a really cute vintage style decorated cafe.
the price was really decent

Definitely worth the visit

oh and next door is a great vegan shop

Pros: great food, funny staff, lovely place

my fav in germany - Edit

i have never eat so much cakes and sweets since the cakes n treats opened in dortmund. i could eat there everyday. the location is a really loving place vor vegans, vegetarians and everyone else. the ingredient that is used most frequently at the "products" is love and compassion. you can not only eat there sweets. just try the chickin bagel oder something. 5 meters away there is a vegan supermarket from the same owner - a really lovely person.

Pros: lovely location, great value, lovely owner & employees

How every Café should be like - Edit

Cakes 'n'Treats really got all it takes to be a great Cafe / Coffee Shop.

The waitress' are very friendly, patiently and well informed about the food they serve! The place itself is very neat and lovingly decorated, just as the cakes. And they dont just look delicious - they are!

Everyone who gets the chance to go there should try and taste for themselves! I can't say anymore than: highly recommended! :)

P.S.: They also offer a brunch on sundays now: 10 am to 4 pm - 13,50 Euro for 1 coffee and a nice all you can eat buffet. Can't wait to try this out! :)

Pros: delicious cake, best vegan macciato ever tasted!, sweet atmosphere

just excellent! - Edit

We just waited for a place like this!
Delicious cupcakes, cakes, fancy cakes, burgers, bagels and other mouth watering snacks :)

My all time choice: the chickin bagel! tastes just like chicken, with a nice sauce, fresh vegetables and salad!

the coffee beverages are awesome and all of the cakes (everytime they have different cakes!) are just fantastic!

I have to say that I am a bake-a-holic myself so I am critical!

(One of) the best part(s) is: if you like the chickin stuff (or fake-tuna, fake-cheese...) you can go just to the vegan supermarket next to cakes' n treats! because there they sell all of it! thumbs up for that!

Pros: excellent food, everything vegan, nice atmosphere

Cons: addictive

Return to Dortmund Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cakes n Treats closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3434 times since Mar 2011.