Caffe Coco

• Veg-friendly
Contact 808-822-7990

4-369 Kuhio Hwy (at /on Kauai), Wailua, Hawaii, USA, 96746

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small bistro-style outdoor cafe. Food can be made vegan upon request. Pasta bella (penne with gorgonzola cream sauce), tofu veggie peanut wrap, pastries, desserts. Honey is used as sweetener.

Category: Lacto, American, Take-out, Hawaiian, Non-veg

First Review by shaz

outdoor patio paradise - Edit

Everything on the menu can be made vegan (and gluten free). We started with the appetizer special, avocado toast, and then had the Jerk Tofu and the Coconut-Macadamia Nut encrusted tofu. Both were delicious! All of the desserts are vegan and we shared the Lillikoi Cake with a scoop of mango ice cream, which was fantastic. The service was great, and despite being on the main highway, the garden in back was quiet and charming. This was the best meal we had on Kauai.

Gourmet Tofu - Edit

This restaurant bills itself as a vegan restaurant with fish items for non vegans. They do amazing tofu. Careful attention to details and flavor combinations. Beautiful presentations. Try macadamia crusted Tofu in coconut sauce with rice and veggies. Also Jerk tofu with puréed purple Hawaiian potatoes. Herbs grown on site. Lovely laid back garden area. Don't miss this place for a real gourmet dinner!

Pros: fresh, local produce. friendly staff. nice music.

Cons: hard to find! don't use HC map. use GPS.

Would like to give 5 stars! - Edit

Best meal we ate on Kauai. Really cute cafe with outdoor seating and nice atmosphere. The Jamaican jerk tofu was amazing, one of the best meals I've ever had - the coconut cream sauce was just fantastic! My mom and cousin had the Pasta Fresca (vegan if you don't get the parmesan cheese). Basically everything on the menu can be made vegan. They also had vegan dessert options, we had chocolate coconut ice cream, although they also had vegan cake and cookie options. Definitely go here!

Pros: Amazing food, Cute atmosphere, Friendly and attentive servers

Cons: Meat is available on menu so I can't give 5 stars!

favorite place to eat in Kauai! - Edit

I've eaten here 3 times and want to still go back for more. All dishes can be made vegan. Their tofu nori wrap and jerk tofu dish is amazing. If you're not a coconut fan, you should still try their coconut cream sauce since it's a very mild coconut flavor and its vegan! Their peanut sauce is the best peanut sauce I've ever had. All desserts are vegan and gluten free!

Really 5 stars - Mostly Vegan! - Edit

We visited this place for breakfast and dinner every day during our trip. I can't say enough good things about it. On our first visit we met the owner and she told us she is transitioning the menu to be all vegan and she herself is clearly passionately vegan. The breakfasts and pastries are all vegan, and the dinner menu has a vegan option for every item. The dinner options are very creative and delicious. For dessert they have fresh made vegan coconut-based ice cream with different flavor each night. We got banana peanut butter ice cream, and... holy moly it was fantastic. Breakfasts are delightful as well: acai bowls, smoothies, avocado toast, banana bread, cookies, berry turnovers - I wanted the owner to adopt me and feed me for every meal. Get breakfast and coffee to eat outside on a nice sunny morning and watch the wildlife. There are geckos, feral cats and chickens that might say hi but never bother you. You can also see banana trees erupting with fruit around the yard. Very pleasant atmosphere, friendly staff and delicious food. I want to rate it 5 stars, but Happy Cow won't allow 5 stars for a place that still serves meat (seafood and chicken).

Pros: delicious and creative menu items, wonderful outdoor atmosphere, varying options day to day

Good quality but strange combinations - Edit

The food was very fresh and high quality, but the recipes were so creative that the food was a bit strange. The samosa appetizer was not at all like a samosa except maybe in shape. It was also huge. Good for probably two or three people to split. The banana chutney was tasty but not at all like any chutney I've ever seen. The menu was small and they served quite a lot of seafood, but I appreciate the use of locally sourced food.

Pros: open later than many other restaurants, seating under the stars, excellent service

Cons: unconventional recipes

Beware of glass floor-flipflops not recommended - Edit

We ate at this place and it was pretty good. The food was organic and mostly sourced from local farmers. Although there was no meat on the menu but they did have fish and seafood. The presentation was creative and it tasted pretty good. The service was great and the ambiance was nice nestled amongst the flora and fauna outside. Do wear bug spray otherwise you may get eaten by mosquitoes! Also be prepared to spend - It was pretty expensive. My biggest concern though was that the floor was made of recycled glass which was sharp and not rounded off. So be careful if you are wearing flip flops. I cut myself on the glass shards. Also after you leave the restaurant check for glass shards in your shoes which you may track into your car and hotel room.

Cons: serves fish and seafood, dangerous glass flooring

A must go! - Edit

The best restaurant we've found on Kauai!

We've been to Kauai two years running, and hands down, Caffe Coco is my favorite spot. The decor is delightful, bright, fun, and the staff are all super friendly. One of the nights we visited (we went 3 times in 2 weeks!), there was live music going on in the open courtyard, and it added to the overall cool vibe of the place.

It's a BYO, VERY vegetarian/vegan friendly, and the menu is what it should be if a restaurant is doing it right - rather than having a million options that are all OK, Caffe Coco has carefully chosen a smaller menu (17ish options total) were no matter what you order, it's going to be AMAZING. The potstickers and curried soup are a must from the starters list, and we tried both the Jerk Tofu and Charmoula Tofu as our main dishes and they were out of this world. For dessert we tried the homemade coconut milk ice cream and it was GREAT.

If you're on Kauai's eastern shore, and are looking for excellent food, a cool vibe, and a great evening, eat at Caffe Coco.

ALSO, I wanted to give 5 stars, but since the restaurant is not listed as officially vegetarian, the Happy Cow system would not let me. Nearly everything on the menu here can be made vegan if you ask, so this is definitely a 5 STAR place!

Pros: Excellent vegan food options, Great vibe, Great prices

The Vegetarian Gem of Kauai - Edit

We ate here our first night and our last.......and should have eaten here every night in between!!! The night we flew in, we were tired and not too hungry so came here for appetizers. The pot stickers were to die for......and the sweet potato samosa's and pumkin soup were super deliciious as well. Throughout the week we went to various other "veg friendly" places and their idea of creating a vegearian dish was serving vegetables and rice with a block of tofu stuck on top. Very disappointing. So on our last night here we headed back and I was sooo hoping that their main dishes were as good as their appetizers. They did not disappoint!!! OMG, the Coconut MacNut Tofu was absolutely amazing!!!! It had the texture and flavor of a perfectly done fish without having to kill anything! It was so flavorful.....yumi.....And we had a vegan brownie w/bananna chocolate ice cream for dessert. Best vegan meal I've ever had in a restaurant--even better than Millennium in SF. And there was live music to boot which added to the whole island vibe. Perfect way to end our 8 day venture in Kauai! Don't foreget....it's a BYOB place.

Pros: Delicious vegan fare., Live music., Super friendly staff.

Cons: BYOB--not really a con, it's cheaper!

Amazing vegan and gluten free options! - Edit

My girlfriend and I ventured out to this slightly hidden gem and were more than happy with the food and overall experience. We were greeted right away by who we found out later was indeed the owner and the chef of the night. Everything from the cozy and welcoming ambiance to the energetic and bouncy young host it was a terrific experience. The staff was super friendly and the owner actually came to our table to see how our meal was which is a rarity, but much appreciated. Being vegan and gluten free can sometimes be a struggle especially while travelling, but that was not the case here. The entire menu including desserts are mostly vegan and gluten free. My gf had the Coco-Mac nut tofu and I had the Moroccan inspired dish with a purple sweet potato samosa and both dishes were absolutely delicious. I also indulged in the pot stickers and they were probably the best I've ever had, the sauce was amazing! The desserts were terrific as well, chocolate chip cookies, homemade mint chip ice cream (made with real mint), banana bread, and carrot cake. We will probably have a stomach ache, but it will all be worth it! I'm sure we will be coming back again tomorrow after a long day of zip lining. Thanks again for the amazing food and wonderful hospitality. They also had good live music that was non invasive and accompanied the chill environment. The restaurant is BYOB and many were hip to this already, but now we are prepared for tomorrow!

Pros: vegan and gluten free, friendly staff, great ambiance

Excellent spot in Kapaa - Edit

My husband and I ate here three times during our visit to Kauai. This is an excellent restaurant that serves organic dishes and numerous vegetarian options. Of the main dishes, each dish has a vegetarian complement. My husband is a vegetarian, and he had all the same options I did for food. I highly recommend the jerk chicken or jerk tofu with sweet potato. It was one of the most flavorful/interesting dishes I have had in a long time. The sweet potato samosa is also excellent. The restaurant is a BYOB, but their homemade drinks are excellent. We tried the Thai iced tea and the Tahitian lemonade, both served with coconut milk.

Pros: Great outdoor seating, Numerous vegetarian/vegan options

Best vegetarian selection - Edit

A quaint vegetarian and seafood restaurant hidden off the road in Kapaa. They have the most vegan/vegetarian menu items of any restaurant in Kauai. We really enjoyed the Coconut Macnut Tofu, Vietnamese Summer Rolls, and Thai Curried Pumpkin Soup. The Purple Sweet Potato Samosa was disappointing – it’s just mashed taro in a pastry shell. It could use some texture and spices.

Pros: selection, outdoor patio

Good veg menu - Edit

It was great to find a place that knew the word vegan. Owner is really nice and the place has a great atmosphere. Be sure to get the veggie samosa.

Food was a bit on the bland side, but it will definitely be a place we return to if we visit Kauai again.

Pros: Veg Menu, Veg samosa, Nica atmosphere

amazing delicious food!!!!! - Edit

My husband and I ate there this evening and the food is absolutely delicious and creative!!! Do not miss this place !!!! It is wonderful !!!!

The pumpkin soup is heavenly and the samosa was great too! Many vegan options and great selection of vegan deserts as well.

Pros: many vegan dishes, wonderful vegan deserts

Cons: none

Good Vegan Food - Edit

We ate here for lunch in Dec 2011. There were many vegan options. The staff was very helpful. We had delicious pasta, wrap with peanut sauce and tofu and a plate with purple potato samosa and baked tofu. Everything was delicious. The salad was fresh and the dressings very good. They served fish also, which worked well for my 'mixed' family of vegans and omnivore.

It was hard to find - look for a low sign near the brick oven pizza place. But everything in Kauai seems to be hard to find.

Pros: Friendly service, Fresh food, Good vegan options

Cons: Hard to find, Menu hard to understand

Island Gem - Edit

Lots of vegan options: tofu potstickers, salads, samosas, noodles, pasta, vegan desserts.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/09/vegan-kauai-hawaii-part-two.html

Pros: local ingredients, organic, vegan-friendly

Amazing!! - Edit

This place is great - not just one of the best places on the island, but one of the best restaurants we've been to. My boyfriend and I went here twice during our trip. The food was great, vegan options (and gluten free options) were plentiful - the tofu potstickers were particularly good. The staff was very friendly and remembered us when we came back.

The atmosphere was the best part of the restaurant, we ate in the yard/outdoor area during the event. The outdoors was decorated with colorful holiday lights and assorted tables. It was almost like being at a holiday party in someone's backyard. Both times we visited live musicians were playing at the restaurant and a friendly neighborhood cat wandered over for a bowl of water.

Really the only thing bad I have to say about this place is that we left with a few mosquito bites each time we were here :)

I can't recommend this place highly enough.

Pros: Great food - lots of vegan options, friendly staff, wonderful atmosphere

Cons: mosquitos in the yard.

Delicious vegan dishes! - Edit

We loved this place! It's a little hard to spot from the road but just look for the sign!

My husband and I shared a plate that included a wonderful, dessert-like sweet potato samosa, a salad, some perfectly seasoned and cooked tofu and a few other things. It was SO, SO delicious! They even threw in free vegan pumpkin soup - YUM! This one plate was plenty filling for the two of us!

The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating and let us know what was vegan and what wasn't.

We got to hear some live jazz music, which was great, and the actual atmosphere of the restaurant was so fantastic! Very Hawaiian-tikki feeling with "indoor" (which is somewhat open to the outdoors) and outdoor seating. They're only open for dinner but it's so worth trying this place!

Pros: Cool atmosphere, GREAT service, SCRUMPTIOUS food

Delicious! - Edit

This place was heavenly, especially after striking out at so many other places in Hawai'i. We would have returned many times if we had found it earlier!
We went at night and the atmosphere was great.
The waiter also works the register and remembers who ordered what as you seat yourself and he brings you your food. He was the only staff member not working in the kitchen, and it was amazing that he remained so friendly and didn't forget a thing, even when the place was full!
THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS! We ordered the pumpkin soup and just couldn't get enough of it. We each had a cup, and then I bought myself another bowl! The samosas were very good, but more like a turnover than a samosa (very dessert/pastry-like). The noodle salad was very fresh and the peanut dressing was fantastic; we only wish they put more on there! The coconut custard in lilikoi syrup was very different: tangy, but creamy; very interesting and good.
The food wasn't expensive either!

Pros: amazing food, great atmosphere & prices, friendly staff

wonderful vegan dishes - Edit

We highly recommend this restaurant, although they serve some meat the chef is very experienced with vegan food and can make almost all the dishes on the menu vegan. The food here is excellent, especially the vegan samosas!

Pros: excellent food, very friendly staff, outdoor dining

Cons: hours of operation, hard to find

Return to Wailua Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Caffe Coco closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1677 times since Jun 2009.