Cafe Yumm - The Meridian

Contact 541-225-0121

1800 Willamette St (at Meridian Bldg), Eugene, Oregon, USA, 97401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Quick service restaurant chain in Pacific Northwest. Offers bowls, sandwiches, salads, wraps, and breakfast; has tempeh and tofu. Signature dish is the Yumm Bowl which comes with choice of brown or jasmine rice, beans, and topped with sauce, salsa, veggies, and dairy - ask to make your bowl vegan, and kitchen will substitute cheese/sour cream for avocado or veggies. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-8:00pm, Sun 11:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by kilat1

not much of a food experience - Edit

Can't say I would go again unless desperate. The vegan options aren't that broad, not in modern context anyways. Overpriced for what you get and the atmosphere is so-so. No wonder that, by comparison, the friendly, funky and personal touch of food carts is a much better option.

Pros: convenience

Cons: bland

Disgusting and Embarrassing - Edit

My wife and I were shocked at the quality of the food here. We expected more from a franchise. It's a disgrace for vegans looking for healthy options. All tofu and tempeh is pre-cooked off-site and deep fried before delivered to the restaurant, then marinated for 24 hours, then warmed up in a microwave before served on your table. The tofu skewers are puffy, hollow and completely destroyed of any nutritional value. The employees have no clue about the food or what is organic. The salad is sliced cabbage with some simulated vegan dairy-like sauce that was yucko. I think they should focus less on building franchises and learn how to make good healthy food. Will never return again

Pros: Free water bar.

Cons: To many to list.

** Updated; unreliable - Edit

This place has such high turnover that they can't hire anyone literate enough to not put dairy in the vegan Yumms, according to the manager who had to repeatedly apologize to me for putting copious amounts of dairy in my food, even after it was sent back. The GM was notified too, Dave, but he has no oversight powers of quality control. Its a shame that there is such incompetence. If they are so careless and reckless with the dairy and are so lacking awareness in the kitchen it makes me wonder if they actually cross contaminate w all the meat they serve.

Cons: meat & dairy in your food

HOLY CRAP! SOO delicious! - Edit

So, I'm from Seattle - hence the name. We don't have Cafe Yumm up here and I DREAM about Cafe Yumm in Oregon. My mother-in-law lives in Eugene and I have to eat here every time I come by. I've only tried one thing but it was so good, I don't need to try anything else - the smoky Yumm bowl, vegan with avocado. I literally could live on this. I also buy some of their sauce and take it home. I put it on sandwiches, dip veggies in it, as a sauce in burritos, anything. SO good, if you haven't eaten there - do it soon! They will only let me give 4 cows because it's not vegetarian, but I would totally give it 5.

Pros: Fast service, awesome food, nice staff

Perfect Fast Food - Edit

I love Cafe Yumm. I am vegan/nutritarian - for my health - and it is very difficult for me to eat out - but I can find plenty at Cafe Yumm that fit my needs.

My family is not vegan AT ALL!! - Plus they like the SAD very much - so it is difficult for us to go out to eat and agree. But they LOVE Cafe Yumm - My husbands favorite is the Hot and Jazzy Yumm bowl - He has tried the chicken in the past - and would rather eat a Yumm Bowl instead.
(He is slowly changing...but will never admit it...)

For me - I usually order a Wrapit - Basically I substitute everything - and they are very nice about it - I usually order an original Wrapit W/wheat - Vegan with cabbage and carrots and red and black beans. So good.

The Tofu wrap is okay(tofu was a little dry) - and I love the Veggie Burger - get it with Sour Dough for vegans, only wish they served salsa with the chips.

I have tried the Hot and Jazzy and the Smoky Chipotle (spelling?)- they are great as well....but still love the Original.

In addition, they have an amazing Ginger Cookie that is Vegan, nice to have a really good dessert now and then.

I buy there sauce, and make my own at home all the time- I use Quinoa instead of brown rice though. In addition, I buy there Ginger Coleslaw sauce (wish they would bottle it) and make homemade coleslaw whenever I go to a potluck! Everyone LOVES it....It is great to bring a vegan dish that people LOVE....the only problem is there are never leftovers for me to bring home :-D

I am not sure of any cons - As I go fairly often, and only have had one time that the beans were not quite cooked, and one time that they hardly had anything but rice and beans in the wrap. I do wish they would consider using Quinoa or a different grain than rice - and the Delta Establishment always seems a little dirty. Oh yeah, and NEVER-EVER-EVER - use the bathroom!!! That is probably my only REAL COMPLAINT!!

Pros: Yummy, Vegan, Friendly Staff

Cons: Icky Bathroom

Oh, my God - Edit

Cafe Yumm is THE BEST!!! Get a deluxe original Yumm bowl... you won't be sorry. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Saturday vegan breakfast was amazing - Edit

This restaurant was unexpectedly great. I went to the one at 730 E Broadway on Saturday morning. Turns out they have a special breakfast menu on Saturday and Sunday until 2pm. I had the Deluxe Scramble - scrambled tofu (crumbled and grilled with special seasoning) with original Yumm! sauce, and served with potatoes and toast, $6.75. It is topped with "Deluxe Toppings" which includes diced tomato, avocado slices, cilantro, and olives but you'll need to ask for the "Vegan Deluxe" toppings for them to hold the cheese and sour cream and substitute extra avocado or shredded cabbage and carrots - but wonderfully at no extra charge. The tofu with the Yumm! sauce was fantastic. The Yumm! sauce is nutritional yeast, canola oil, almonds, lemon juce, garbanzo beans, garlic, soybeans, herbs. It is a little tangy but very good. They have numerous yummy sounding meals on their regular menu. Mostly all sorts of rice and bean bowls. I think that the key is having some great sauces and they nailed this. There is a lot of info and a menu available online at http://www.cafeyumm.com. My only gripe is that they didn't have vegan margarine. But they do have Vegenaise (wow!) and they offer jelly.

The restaurant was spacious which was refreshing for a super veggie-friendly restaurant in Eugene. Not sure about the other locations.

Pros: lots of vegan options, great sauce

Cons: no vegan margarine

Good but Oily - Edit

I ate at the Cafe Yumm off of Delta. The food was very tasty but the Yumm sauce is quite rich and oily. Not exactly health food.

It was self service where you line up to order but they bring the food to your table. The service was prompt but impersonal. It's a very modern, busy place. Not much atmosphere. The employees seemed rather rushed, even though it was mid afternoon and past the lunch rush. The floor needed sweeping and in general it could have used a bit of cleaning.

Lots there for non-vegans so a good compromise for going out with non-vegetarian friends. Also a good place to go if you want to be left alone with a book while you eat. Lots of parking.

Pros: reasonable price, quick service, easy parking

Cons: cold, lack of atmosphere

Delicious food at a vegan-friendly franchise. - Edit

Cafe Yumm, a franchaise established in 1995, is a very vegan-friendly omni restaurant, with plenty of delicious vegan items from which to choose. All items have the ingredients listed on the menu, and they will customize orders (leaving off cheese, sour cream, etc.) I had the ginger-garlic veggie burger which was delicious. To give you and idea of how vegan-friendly they are, the description reads, "Our own veggie burger (unbelievably vegan, contains peanuts), GingerAisian slaw, lettuce and tomato served on a whole wheat bun (w/w bun contains honey, order on sourdough for totally vegan)." And BTW, there's no shortage of vegan condiments to put on the burger--they even offer Vegenaise, and their original Yumm sauce is vegan as well.

My omni partner enjoyed his tempeh reuben, which would have been vegan except it had Swiss cheese.

Vegan items on the menu include some of the Yumm bowls, various combinations of rice, beans, vegetables, sauces, and other ingredients. Unfortunately, I haven't had one myself yet, but a good friend who is vegan tells me they're quite good. Also one can order tofu or tempeh skewers, vegan salads. Some of the daily selection soups may be began as well.

I was surprised to see they offer vegan ginger spice cookies as a regular dessert item. These are made with organic oat flour and are wheat free.

I was there at lunch time on a week day, and there were about 6 people ahead of me in line. This place is quite popular with the locals, so be prepared to wait a good 20 minutes or so for your order if you order a sandwich at prime time. The Yumm bowls are a few minutes quicker.

My only complaints were minor: that the balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing was quite boring, and the person who took my order neglected to leave off the tomatoes.

Next time I'm in Eugene (or Springfield or Bend), I will definitely be eating at Cafe Yumm again!

Pros: Delicious, Vegan-friendly

Cons: Slow at prime time, No vegan cheeses, Closes 5 pm on Sundays

Return to Eugene Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Yumm - The Meridian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1673 times since Aug 2007.