CLOSED: Cafe Viva Natural Pizza and Vegetarian Italian

Contact 212-663-8482

2578 Broadway (at Upper West Side, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10025

Vegetarian Italian shop with counter service. Offers pizza, pasta, vegan desserts, wheat-free pizza options. Has vegan cheese. Reported closed to HappyCow, Mar 2015.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Pizza, Italian, Fast food, Take-out, Kosher

First Review by Poundie

Huge portions and cheeseless options - Edit

Most people who want pizza head to Little Italy or the local pizza joint... but this place is so much better for vegans. I love that they have desserts from Vegan Treats, like the cheesecakes, cake slices, whoopie pies, brownies and cookies that made VTreats famous. I also love that they have vegan options with "cheese" and without. I love that the options for slices rotate regularly.

All the pizzas are labeled with the ingredients, so it's helpful when you don't want to ask about 5 of them. Also, you can order your own entire pizza - though I've always been so happy with the choices offered, no need to order my own. It's more fun to pick 2 or 3 types of pizza slices!

It's good to have vegan cheese, but I greatly prefer the ones without vegan cheese and are just tomato-sauce based with veggies and/or fake meat.

The slices are super filling and have crusts that are whole wheat, spelt, wheat free and Sicilian style. Soo good! This is my fav vegan-friendly pizza place in the entire country.

Pros: Portions, Flavor combinations, Whole wheat crust

Cafe Viva Natural - Edit

We ended up here since we wanted a vegetarian place in this part of town. While I had expected the place to be ultra casual, counter space kind of place, the menu looked interesting and the reviews were not bad. The place is a hole in the wall, run entirely (kitchen, cashier) by Hispanics. While they did a decent job with most of the items, Italian cooking is not exactly second nature for them. The split pea soup was a bit on the bland side, though it was very hearty and substantial. The garlic rolls that come with the pasta and the soup, as well as the toasted garlic bread we ordered were disappointing. The underlying breads tasted stale and tough to chew. The pizza was barely acceptable. The only decent item really was the margherita linguini I had. Since it is primarily a takeaway and delivery place, most of the plates eating utensils are all plastic and that really affects the taste, no matter how good the food. [edit by staff- see ToS]

It is not a place I will be going back to.

Updated from previous review on Saturday January 28, 2012

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: Plastic

Fast, easy, good - Edit

Let me start by saying: VEGAN CHEESECAKE! Plenty of vegan pizza options (everything in the shop is at least vegetarian). Cheap, easy. Not a lot of sitting space so get it to go.

Pros: tasty, cheap, fast

Cons: no sit in area

Excellent Cake! - Edit

The pizza here is tasty, although a bit pricey in my opinion. However, the chocolate cake here is AMAZING and well worth the $5 or $6!! For any cake fans, it is worth checking this place out just for this cake. I almost fell over when I took the first bite it was so delicious!

Best Vegan Dessert - Edit

We had a cheeseless veggie pizza that was just okay, nothing special. But then I noticed three vegan desserts for sale. Strawberry shortcake, blueberry cheesecake, and chocolate cake. I can honestly say the strawberry shortcake was the best vegan dessert we had while visiting New York. I would seriously go there just for this item. Our pizza was a little bland but the dessert made up for that.

Pros: great dessert, good options

Cons: needs vegan cheese, kinda bland, small

HORRIBLE - Edit

me and my 4 fellow friends waited outside this restaurant for 40 min because they do not open untill 11:30 which was misprinted. also their pizza is NOT vegan. as it does contain casein! so we bought our own vegan cheese, and the counter lady told us that "there was no time to grate our cheese, and that the displays were more important than their customers." she then started helping the customers behind us ignoring the fact that we had stood in line and waited for 40 min.

Pros: good ravioli

Cons: rude customer service, not vegan cheese, disgusting atmosphere

Delicious! - Edit

We went to the location at 179 2nd Ave (btwn 11th and 12th St) and almost did not go in because it looked like such a dive. After checking the surrounding eats, we went in and I am so glad we did. We tried the vegan calzone with tofu and it was bigger than my head but so tasty we finished the whole thing! The crust was amazing and apparently chock-full of nutritious stuff. Must try for pizza loving vegans!!!

Pros: Healthy comfort food, Very inexpensive, Pizza tastes like pizza

Cons: small, uninviting

Good pizza joint - Edit

The atmosphere is like most pizza joints, except that they have pizzas that are vegan and healthier than most, with vegan desserts as well. The slices are quite delicious, and as one would expect, the food is not that expensive.

Pros: Good pizza, nice price

Cons: decor is pizza-jointish

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe Viva Natural Pizza and Vegetarian Italian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3602 times since Aug 2007.