CLOSED: Cafe Vegan de la Plage

Contact 299811111

18 bis rue des Bas Sablons, Plage des Bas Sablons, Saint-malo, France, 35402

Vegan cafe on the beach with view of water and town, est. 2014 and re-opened Mar 2016. Brittany cuisine. Has fresh squeezed juices with ingredients like carrot, apple, cucumber. REPORTED CLOSED, SEP 2016. Open every day from 11am.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, French

First Review by Yannboheme

WARNING: Cafe is closing down! - Edit

My vegan partner and I visited St Malo today knowing we could have vegan food here! We walked from the historic centre for about 15 minutes until we found it (quite tricky when you're stood on top of it and can't see where it is!) we went down and it wasn't open- despite it saying Wednesday (14/9/16) was the busiest day of the week for this cafe! So we checked their Facebook page- and the owner is leaving for Brazil on the 30th of September! (Congratulations may I add) however on the sign it said "open at 11am every day until 30th September.. However it was not open. :(

Just a warning that unfortunately it will no longer be in business!

Amazing find near St Malo ferry port - Edit

Provincial France is perhaps one of the most difficult places in the world to find vegan food. You are often met with incomprehension or even disdain. So we were excited to find a vegan cafe in saint Servan, a suburb of St Malo. It's only 5 minutes walk from the ferry port and only about 10 to 15 minutes walk from the historic centre, right on the beach with both indoor and outdoor seating. There are lovely views across the bay back towards the ferry port and the historic centre. The cafe seems to open daily for lunch, more than stated on the listing.

There was a small menu but everything was freshly prepared by the friendly owner who is himself a vegan, so you can have complete confidence in everything you eat. I had a vegan bean chilli, which was mild but tasty, my wife had a salad and the other member of our party had speak used courgette spaghetti. There were also vegan desserts. If you are in St Malo, this is not to be missed.

Pros: Close to ferry port and historic centre, Lovely views, Completely vegan menu

Cons: Limited menu

Fresh and tasty, chilled beach vibe - Edit

We made a special trip here for my vegan mum while visiting St Malo and didn't regret it. Tasty, fresh food- we had spiralised courgette "spaghetti" with tomato sauce, beamy vegan chili and a "wellness" salad. The spaghetti and chilli were particularly filling, the salad tasty but lighter. Also on the menu were soup and Indian style coral lentils.
Desserts were v tempting: fruity mousse, cheesecake with red fruit coulis, and vegan ice creams. We also enjoyed the fresh juices.
The owner was friendly and the setting is lovely, right on the beachside in a quieter bay of St Malo. It's about 15 mins easy flat walk to the old city of St Malo. Recommended- especially as there are very few (if any?) 100% vegan places in Brittany.

Pros: beachside location, 100% vegan, fresh and homemade

Cons: salad was a little too light

Vegan Oasis - Edit

I visit near this area on a semi-regular basis and have had no success in finding anywhere with vegan food. So when I was told by a family member that they saw, "A vegan cafe on the beach!", I had to visit. There were no free tables inside when I visited, so I sat outside at one of the many tables overlooking the beach. The menu included two or three salads. (I can't remember what they were exactly but one included millet and another had humous.) There were three galette options, two of which included vegan cheese. Also, a ravioli option for children. Two family members chose galettes with vegetables. I had the "fomage végétal" galette. The spelling on all the menus was "fomage", not "fromage", but it was clearly a "plant cheese". It was grated and partly melted in the galette. It was quite salty but I enjoyed it. All the galettes came with a small bowl of lettuce leaves in dressing. To finish, I had a "gateau vegan". My French is minimal so I ordered it without knowing exactly what I was getting. After eating it, I'm still not sure! It was a thin pastry slice cut from a larger tart and I detected cinnamon. It came with a thin custard. It was okay. I would have enjoyed it better with a cup of coffee. My companions had ice cream which came in a cone. One had chocolate, the other had salted caramel, "which was very nice.".

We all enjoyed the food but the only downside was the very slow service. There was only one waitress. She was lovely but I think they could have done with two waitresses that afternoon. We weren't in a hurry, so it wasn't too bad. I will definitely make a point of visiting again in the future. The opening hours seem to be longer than stated on Happy Cow. I recommend checking their facebook page for updated information.

Pros: Overlooks a beach, Vegan galettes!, Friendly service

Cons: Slow service

Return to Saint-malo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe Vegan de la Plage closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2048 times.