Cafe V

Contact 030-6124505

Lausitser Platz 12, Berlin, Germany, 10997

German-style dishes but with tofu and seitan. Has menu in English. A pizza cost approximately on average 7.50euros. Reported August 2010 to longer serve fish. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 10:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine

First Review by atandt

Love that place!!! - Edit

So glad, that I´ve found this lovly place. the stuff is very friendly and the food is delicious! I love the Kichererbsenpolenta. It is my favorite...

Pros: charming location, friendly stuff, delicios food

Invisible seitan! - Edit

They have two vegan pizzas, one with seitan, veggies and cheese and one without cheese. So seitan was one of the main ingredients. There was no trace of seitan what so ever in the pizza. The waiter told us that seitan is so small and in the tomato sauce so we can't see it. Other waiter told us the same when we paid and complained. We tried find the magic no-show seitan from the base sauce but just couldn't find any bit of it. Crust and base was ok (not great), but this invisible seitan thing was so wrong.

Pros: vegetarian

Cons: invisible seitan

Tasty Lunch in a Lovely Setting - Edit

Cafe V is a vegetarian restaurant with some vegan choices (they can make the other dishes vegan upon request, if possible). The food is pretty good, but my favorite thing is the location - Lausitzer Platz is gorgeous, especially in the Spring! I love their salads and the garlic bread with tomato sauce is amazing. They also have pizza with vegan cheese and rucola.

Pros: gorgeous setting

Cons: on the expensive side

One of my favourite veggiel restaurants in Berlin - Edit

This is one of my favourite veggie restaurants in Berlin. It's relaxed and easy-going with a good range of veggie options. The vegan options are more restricted in the main menu but the specials always include some seasonal vegan options. You can choose from more casual pizzas to quite sophisticated choices. The service can be erratic depending on who's working! It can get busy and noisy at the weekends. The outside space is really pleasant when it's not being ruined by smokers.

Pros: Wide choice of veggie options, Range of prices, Seasonal daily specials

Cons: Limited vegan options, Erratic service

Cafe V- vegetarian and vegan - good - Edit

Cafe V is a nice restaurant located in a nice area. I actually like that it is a bit dark inside and the nice candle light. We had some hummus with salad and some Caserolle and a pasta dish.
It was tasty. But I was really disappointed that so many dishes there contain dairy products or cheese! I hoped that they would offer more vegan dishes. They have tasty food, but it is not a very special place. One time I had a delicious pumpkin soup there though.

Pros: tasty

Cons: not enough vegan options

stuck in the dark ages - Edit

We went to this place because it was top of the list for places to eat in Berlin (not just veggie places), what a let down. way too many dishes contained dairy products (in 2015?), we paid about 12 euro's each and it really wasn't worth it. The server what a bit too over enthusiastic and this left us wondering if they where coked out of their heads. with such an excellent and vibrant veg scene in Berlin why would you go here?

Too few vegan options - Edit

Being called Café V and fully vegetarian, I expected it to cater well to vegans like most similar places, but it had only 3 vegan main dishes which weren't so original (all curry- or tomato-based). I had the polenta which fortunately tasted well.

Didn't like the service, the waitresses didn't say hello when I first sat down. They looked shabby and disinterested as well. They reacted annoyed when I asked the pretty normal question if they could make a vegan version of certain vegetarian dishes, saying those 'wouldn't taste any good'.

Prices are steep for the area (12 euros for a main course).

nothing special - Edit

There are so many other great vegan restaurants in Berlin,and I never understood the point of a vegetarian restaurant where cheese seem to be the only option to meat.
I think this place would benefit of skipping the dairy altogether

Still My Berlin Benchmark - Edit

This is absolutely still my favourite veggie place in Berlin, as well as in Germany. We have eaten here on at least 16 occasions or so in 9 visits to this amazing city since 2004 and is the place I use as a standard with which to compare other vegetarian establishments.

It's called Cafe V (as in Vegetarische) and for some reason in the past it did serve the occassional fish dish or two which was disappointing but I can confirm that as of August 2010 this is no longer the case. This is also still the case in April 2015.

Why do I highly regard this place? Quite simply, it's the whole package. Cafe V is a bar, a cafe, a restaurant, a meeting place, somewhere you can drink, dine, chat, have breakfast, have supper, chill for hours, have a snack, have a beer, enjoy a romantic meal, drink wine, have a cocktail, read Die Welt, people watch, sit inside, sit on the street, have a birthday meal....just appreciate life. You may just have to tolerate the functional, bordering on disinterested, service.

It is set on a square next to a pleasant leafy park off Skalitzer Straße in Kreuzberg. Take the M29 bus or the U1 and get off a Görlitzer Bahnhof, have a beer in one of the fantastic bars in the area. My favourite has to be Cafe Bar Morena which just happens to be over the road from the wonderful vegetarian fast food paradise of Yellow Sunshine. Then walk over to Lausitzer Platz, go past the church and through the park to Cafe V. A very cosy, dimly lit and bohemian setting awaits. Enjoy the darkness. The staff might be friendly, the beer is good and the seating is perfect. Take your time, have a beer, order food, maybe a carafe of organic wine......a litre perhaps if you plan to stay a long time. You might as well.

As far as I am concerned the food is gourmet but not at gourmet prices. We are talking unique dishes with tofu, seitan, aubergine, courgette, pasta and rice all served with the delicious complementary house tomato and garlic bread. If you're lucky you might even get a free spirit at the end of the night but to be honest I think those days are gone. You can then head off into one of the bars on Oranienstraße. The M29 bus runs through the night to take you into the main centres of Berlin depending on where you are staying. All in all, it's the whole package of Kreuzberg that makes Cafe V the special place it is and I didn't think anything would ever beat it until the game changers of Rasoterra in Barcelona and Tel Aviv in Warsaw came along.

Pros: location, excellent food, good prices

Cons: staff can be disinterested

Very bad experience overall - Edit

The food was extremely salty and greasy. The tomato sauce was runny and spiced with something that tasted hot but was not flavorful. All the food seemed not to be fresh. The service was very slow, even though the restaurant was almost empty. The wait person was unfriendly and unhelpful. There were very few vegan options. This was the worst veg restaurant I've been to in Berlin.

Pros: Nice ambience

Cons: terrible food , bad service , very few vegan options

good but dark - Edit

we went there for late lunch. it was ok but a bit heavy and fatty.
less vegetables lots of cream sauce.
the baked potatoes bad! maybe from the day before?
i should have give them back...

the room is a bit dark and cold.

wishes: bio products or at least regional would be nice.
prices ok.

Pros: fast, nice menu

Cons: dark

I was surprised... not in a good way - Edit

Well... The place is just very unlikely.
It's so dark, the waiter is not polite or friendly, it looks like an old casino or something. Not so many Vegan options and I asked for 3 things he did not have.. Not a really good experience. My friend had a pizza, was okay but not incredible.
I won't return that place

Cons: nothing vegan available to eat, not friendly, dark and creepy place

a great place for a dinner - Edit

the staff was very polite and attentive despite the restaurant was completely full, the quality of the food was excellent and the portions were generous, the wine was really good too (and I'm pretty picky about wine) and the atmosphere allowed us to spend a pleasant evening for two despite the local was full. Nothing to say, one of the best places I've eaten in Berlin!

Pros: quality of the food, hummus, wine

Are you really sure it's Berlin? - Edit

It's supposed to be one of the oldest vegetarian restaurants in Berlin, but seems they didn't followed the development of vegetarian community in the city.

The dinner was ok, not many vegan options (if you can call that vegan options), but after the breakfast experience, it just became my least favourite eatery in Berlin. Even some meat based restaurants have better breakfast options for vegans then Cafe V. Only one option? Not at least one vegan cheese? (smoked tofu, for god's sake, that's what everybody does to be cheap). So, if you end up with no options, maybe it's a place to go, but if you want a proper Berlin vegetarian experience, better to try somewhere else, especially if you are vegan.

Great, Laid-Back veggie restaurant - Edit

I really like Cafe V and I like it more and more each time I come. Despite having had it on my radar for a while I had kind of been put off going, in part due to some of the bad reviews on here. However, this summer I went for the first time with a friend and have been back many times since.

The food is really good and tasty. It has a large menu with plenty of choice - from hot & cold appetisers, to salads, pizzas and "main" dishes. As it's a vegetarian restaurant and not a vegan restaurant, the menu has a mix of both types of dishes, although there is definitely more for the non-vegan. But there are at least 3 vegan pizzas on offer and plenty of salads & a good selection of the mains, so it's not difficult if you're vegan. But, you might just feel short-changed due to the huge selection of offer for veggies.

The setting is really nice as well - it's located in the very hip Wrangelkiez, on a nice square - great for people watching if you sit outside. I haven't sat inside yet so can't comment on that but I imagine it to be very cosy in the winter.

I have found the staff to be nice and accommodating but not intrusive. If you're not used to Berlin-style service you might think they are inattentive but I don't think it differs much from any other place in Berlin.

They have a full bar with lots of great wine, beers, teas & juices as well. oh, and the vegan garlic bread before the meal and with the starters is amazing!

Pros: huge choice, friendly, delicious

Cons: fewer vegan choices

Not recommended - Edit

We had lunch here and this was our only bad restaurant experience in Berlin. The place itself doesn't have a nice atmosphere , it is dark and not too inviting , the service wasn't too friendly either (and it isn't language related). The food was simply not good! it didn't taste fresh , was very greasy and the vegetables looked tired and old. Would never visit there again and wouldn't recommend it.
There are so many other great options in town do not bother to make your way to this one.

hack_man 24 Mar 2013 - Cafe V - the darker the better. This is a Kreuzberg institution

pretty bad - Edit

went here for breakfast with a few friends the other week, and i wish i hadn't. it wasn't cheap by berlin prices, and the food was bad, as was the coffee. the only vegan breakfast option is a plate of bread and spreads, which, for a vego place is pretty poor. the coffee was burnt, as was the soy milk, making it pretty disgusting. ordering a veggie breakfast and having vegan substitutions in it made for a much smaller meal at the same price. the beans were just a spoonful of heinz baked beans. at least the soy sausage was nice.

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe V closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.