Cafe Sydney

5th Floor, Customs House, 31 Alfred St, Circular Quay, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Upmarket restaurant with harbor. Has a vegan menu option with 3 choices in each 3 courses - ask for it. Sample dishes might be a peach gazpacho, potato dosa with okra, and vacherin meringue (chickpea brine) with passion fruit, coconut flakes, and sorbet. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, European, Non-veg

First Review by Squirrel

Very Surprising Vegan Menu - Edit

Beautiful dishes, I had the soup which was sensational as a starter. My favourite was the gnocchi and the little taste of my husbands potato dish! Highly recommend for a special night out

Pros: Vegan Menu , Vegan wines, Amazing view

Cons: Parking, Difficult to get booking

Cafe Sydney - Edit

Now this is not going to be for everyone but it is now my favourite restaurant. It does serve meat but it's full vegan menu and stunning harbour views make it amazing. I believe we change the minds of non veg people by "normalising" being vegan and Cafe Sydney is making headway in that regard. Three courses with three options in each means you aren't a second rate diner.

My entree was a peach gazpacho followed by a main of Dosa of potato, okra massala with cashew nut, cucumber pickle and coconut chutney, beautifully spiced. Surprisingly it was better than at genuine Indian restaurants I have been to. Dessert was a vanilla vacherin with passion fruit sorbet, coconut cream, flowers and lemon balm. The vacherin was small chickpea brine meringues.

The general vibe of the place may not feel in line with some vegans ideals but Cafe Sydney is supporting worthwhile projects in the community and they should be encouraged for their full vegan menu.

I dislike that some reviews mark down restaurants because of the price. What is expensive for one is cheap to another. Entrees were $24, mains $34 & dessert $16. I would prefer to consider the overall experience as part of what you pay for which made it reasonable.

My fellow meat eating diners may not be converting to a veg diet anytime soon but my amazing lunch did get them thinking.

Pros: Harbour views, Great food, Choices

Cons: Meat served

Return to Sydney Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Sydney closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.