Cafe Stay Happy

Daizawa 2-29-1, Tokyo, Japan, 155-0032 Tokyo-to, S

Serves meat, vegan options available. Really close to Shimokitazawa train station, this cafe is friendly and relaxed. A bit of a hippy vibe, complete with hammocks and a little shop selling incense, etc. Menu has a few vegan items, all clearly labeled. Address: Japan, 〒155-0032 Tokyo, Setagaya, 代沢2丁目29−14. Reported to have unreliable opening hours, check ahead. Open Mon-Sat 1:00pm-12:00am, Sun 1:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, International, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Non-veg

First Review by Shauna333

JackieJans

Points +848

22 Mar 2020

Cute place

I love the atmosphere, but they are quick to hustle you to order more food or drink every hour.

GrayHorwitz

Points +335

15 Feb 2020

Great atmosphere, nice food, a bit pricy

Nice little spot away from the hustle and bustle of the street, where you can cozy up in a book lined nook with a hot meal. Not a 1 $ sign place though.

Cons: Expensive , Few vegan options

KuratoKitashirakawa

LauraDG

Points +132

03 Dec 2019

Super cute!

Cute bohemian style cafe with a lot of veg and vegan options for lunch and dinner. Owner speaks perfect English menu is in both English and Japanese.

Pros: Lots of options , Good price, Cute place

jessinjapan

Points +35

Mostly Veg
25 Aug 2019

Such a cool vibe!

I really enjoyed my first visit to Cafe Stay Happy today. They have an incredible range of teas, coffees, smoothies, cold drinks, craft beer, wine and the meals looked great too. I had a delicious soy chai tea and baked cheesecake. Will definitely be back!

Pros: Really extensive menu of drinks and food , English-speaking staff and menu, Quirky and cool vibe inside

RuthAlice

Points +46

03 Aug 2019

Chilled coffee and cake

I came here with a friend and had a really nice soy milk latte and a piece of vegan cake. Both were great.
The cafe itself is chilled and amazingly decorated, with lots of wall hangings, hidden tables, bookshelves and many many beautiful things on the walls! You can choose to sit at a table or on the floor on a tatami mat.

The only negative was that it was really obvious the guy working there wanted me and my friend to kind of hurry up and pay and leave (we had been sitting chatting for a while) even though it was really quiet. But I still liked the vibe in general and I would still totally go back.

Updated from previous review on 2019-08-03

Pros: beautiful decoration

VinSingapore

Points +238

04 Jul 2019

Was closed when I went

Their website and storefront says open until 10pm except closed on Tuesdays and the 2nd Wednesday but it was closed on a Thursday at 8pm

Cons: Closed unexpectedly

NadiaSchofield

Points +46

29 May 2019

A good place to stay happy!

The cafe has a Lovely chilled out feel and the food was good. I had the vegan organic vegetable curry that came with brown rice and a small side salad. Both tasted nice and fresh. Note this cafe doesn’t take card payment so make sure you take cash to pay. Nice food and relaxed environment.

ReiAmber

Points +2663

20 Aug 2018

Lovely place to relax

The hammock portion of the restaurant is divided into small areas, each with tatamis, small tables and cushions and one hammock.

I adored the tiny folding table made entirely of hardwood and the relaxing hammock.

My friends are taller people and I wasn't sure how they would do, but they were game for the experience, even though one of them had a bit of trouble eating pasta with thin carbonara sauce off a plate on a tiny table.

I had a falafel sandwich, iced soy latte and vanilla coffee shake and everything was great.

The owner speaks good English. The menu was marked clearly for both vegan and vegetarian options.

I would happily go back.

It looked kid-friendly- another area had a family seated there with their two very small children.

They have a blog showing the interior and menu: http://cafestayhappy.com/?page_id=16

Updated from previous review on 2018-08-20

Pros: vegan and vegetarian options marked separately, great food , child-friendly

Cons: serves meat

channellehazel

Points +167

29 Jun 2018

Comfy and nice

I liked the food and I really liked the place itself. It was cosy and I was able to just chill out and draw and enjoy the food.

Pros: Nice interior, Food is yum

Cons: Not a huuuuge amount of vegan options

susieandmichael

Points +37

05 Mar 2018

Excellent vegetarian meal in Tokyo

Of the many vegetarian restaurants we visited in Tokyo, this was our favorite. Great, laid-back vibe, and menu changing daily. We especially loved the soup on a cold day. Make a reservation if you want one of the special tables.

I would happily give this 5 stars but it says that only 100% vegan/vegetarian restaurants can be rated 5 stars on Happy Cow!

ZoeMackenzie

Points +64

16 Dec 2017

Lovely!

A really great cafe! We had a set lunch menu and vegetarian nachos, everything was really tasty. There was a good selection of vegetarian and vegan options which were all labelled very clearly. The staff were really nice and made sure that we understood what we were ordering. Would definitely go back again!

Pros: Really tasty food, lots of vegan and vegetarian op

Cons: No cons!

elainekirk

Points +24

23 Oct 2017

Cozy Cafe

This cafe is so cute! They have multiple areas for seating including hammocks and traditional Japanese seating. The decorations are super cute and give a hippie vibe. The curry was amazing and the staff was very helpful (great English) when I was ordering as they even offered to vegan-ize other menu items for me. There are also vegan desserts. Try the teas!!! Can’t give full stars because it’s not fully vegan.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Nice Vibe, Great Food

Cons: Small menu

Disappeared

Points +238

09 Jun 2017

Good vegan food

Excellent food, and run by lovely people. They have an English menu and speak excellent English too.
The soups are really good.

Pros: Lots of choices for vegans and vegetarians

Cons: Only takes cash, no credit cards

Shauna333

Points +556

09 Apr 2017

Laid back place

I discovered Cafe Stay Happy last year when exploring Shimokitazwa. It is in a really convenient location, and pretty easy to find (see the picture of the exterior). They have a selection of vegan things, including onigiri, curry, bean croquettes and sandwiches. I always get the bean croquette sandwich, as I love it! It's so flavourful and just right for a light meal or snack. The curry is also really good. They always have vegan desserts, too, but I haven't tried them yet. The owner is really friendly and helpful. They also have DJ sets and events there, so check out their website for details. There are chairs and tables, also an area where you can sit on the floor, and a raised platform with hammocks.

Pros: Tasty food, all clearly labelled, Laid back

Cons: The vegan food selection isn't huge

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Stay Happy closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.