Cafe SoVegan - Market Stall

East London area, East London, England

Mobile vendor selling loaded seitan burgers and sweets. Check Facebook for locations. Open Sun 11:00am-4:30pm.

Categories: Vegan, American, Western, Fast food, Bakery, Take-out only

First Review by jon active

delicious food - Edit

They make delicious Mac n cheese, big hearty wraps, cheese sauce to take home, cakes... everything I've tried has been really good. The mac and cheese especially is delicious

gorgeous food - Edit

The food here is amazing, so are the friendly people. The frangipani and vegan sausage rolls are gorgeous little pick me ups, and I haven't had a burger this good in years. Wish there were more places like this!

Marvelous little vegan stall. - Edit

I was saddened to learn that the Cafe So Vegan couple had lost their tenure at the Royal Sovereign pub, getting the push like so many of the good things in Hackney. :(
So I was real happy to go and try out their stall at the Sunday market just off Chatsworth Road in Rushmore School. On offer were three home made burgers with salads and sauces. I had the "Herby" one. The burger is as good and "meaty" as any I know of in London at the moment. It cost £6 so maybe not the cheapest takeaway snack available but certainly a superior vegan burger. My day was made memorable however by their range of sugar free cakes on offer. I bought one of each, just so I could tell you all about them, nothing to do with piggery on my part honest! The chocolate orange sponge cake took me straight back to sweet memories of Pumpkins and the marvellous range of light spongey vegan cakes that Yolande used to make back in the day! Except that Yolande's cakes were a tad too sweet some people couldn't manage the icing without having diabetic nightmares. Michelle of So Vegan is a convert to refined sugar free baking and so her cakes are tasty but not too sweet. The Pear Frangipane was a total delight, a kind of sticky pear flan. The Toffee cheesecake with chocolate ganache was light and creamy whereas the Chocolate peanut butter one was gloriously rich and gooey. There are well known vegan outlets like the Black Cat Cafe and Mildreds which have become complacent with their desserts, hardly ever changing what is on offer, relying on outside caterers and rarely offering sugar free options. Cafe So Vegan is showing the way forward for healthy vegan treats and doing it with panache! The cakes range from £2.50 to £3.50 a slice which given the quality is well worth it.
Check out their website for other catering they do or get down to Chatsworth Road next Sunday and treat yourself to something good, but please don't get there before I do and buy everything up!

Went back to the stall today 28/5/17 and had an excellent rhubarb sugar free cake ! Rhubarb taste but not too strong and the chewy biscuit base was perfect.

Updated from previous review on 2017-05-28

Pros: Excellent tasty burgers., Friendly vegan chefs., Sugar free cakes!!

Cons: In hipster gentrified Hackney but what can one do?

Return to East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe SoVegan - Market Stall closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.