CLOSED: Cafe Romantica - Food Truck

• Vegetarian

Contact n/a

Hana Hwy, Mile Marker 35 (at downtown, Maui), Hana, Hawaii, USA,

Vegetarian food truck in downtown Hana. Try their curries. Look for a maroon bus on the right side of the road as you are driving through Hanna to O'heo Gulch. JULY 2013 REPORTED OWNER PERSONAL HARDSHIP, CLOSED FOR NOW.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Italian, Organic, Thai, Western, Take-out

First Review by Ned Harding

Get there early - Edit

We stopped by around 3:30 and cleared them out of their vegan food. They normally open from 4-6 but sometimes will come out earlier and had been open for about two hours already by the time we arrived. The truck is basically open as long as they have food but they shut down once they run out.

I think the food changes daily. I recommend the mung bean soup which I think they have daily / almost daily.

The food is expensive, even for Maui. But still worth it.

Pros: Good food, very friendly staff

Cons: Can close early, expensive

Not romantic but excellent none-the-less! - Edit

I was expecting a vegetarian *restaurant* at the end of the 3 hour "Road to Hana" drive. When I saw the food van I was disappointed - I was so expecting somewhere to sit down and eat peacefully. But we were hungry and out we went to see what they could offer.

By the end of it this was actually a most pleasant experience. The food was awesome. Most things were vegan. The vindaloo curry was deep red and the best I've ever had, hands down. And the pastries were fantastic too. While it was not the sit-down affair I was anticipating it was actually quite relaxing pulling up a chair and watching the cars go by and people pull in; they are very busy.

We spent around $50 and that only half-fed 2 adults and 2 very young kids and included no drinks or sweets. It is *very* expensive for take-away food. But if you're on holidays and you have a chance at good vegan food, who cares, right?

By the time we got back to our pad 3 hours away we were contemplating going back the next day for another feed!

Pros: Very good for caravan food!, Plenty of vegan options

Cons: No vegan cake/desert options, Expensive!

Surreal veggie paradise in paradise! - Edit

No words can truly describe the bizarre awesomeness of this restaurant. After driving 2 hours down the Hana Highway into rural Maui, you'll find this gourmet veggie wonderland started and run by classically-trained vegetarian Husband-and-wife Chefs Hans and Lorrie Lee. Their menu changes daily and includes a veggie burger wellington, samosas, all-vegan soups and delicious curries. And yes, all served out of a food truck. Seriously, their food competes with any of the gourmet veggie food in Los Angeles. Best vegetarian food in Maui, hands down! Too bad it's in the middle of nowhere and the hours are somewhat unpredictable, but every vegetarian who visits Maui should add Cafe Romantica to their to-do list.

Pros: top notch cuisine, friendly owner, idyllic setting (out of a truck)

Cons: middle of nowhere, variable hours

Fantastic Veggie food - Edit

This is a most surprising place. Way in the middle of nowhere, some of the best vegetarian fare out of the side of a truck. On of the highlights of the drive to Hana. About 50% of the food is vegan, the menu seems to change every day. Highly recommended.

The owner is super fun and really cares about the food and Hana, etc...

Pros: Amazing Food, Great Owner

Cons: Out of a truck!

Return to Hana Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe Romantica - Food Truck closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 954 times since Jan 2011.