First Review by MidnightSun112

Best vegan family-run restaurant in Tokyo! - Edit

Note that on our visit in October 2015, their opening hours are 1130-3pm Tuesday-Sunday, or by reservation.
Cafe Rappa was our favourite vegan restaurant we discovered in Tokyo, and maybe all of Japan! Not only is the food delicious, nourishing and generously-portioned, but the family who run it are super lovely and welcoming. We ate here three times during our stay - our accomodation was close by, otherwise it's a 15 minute journey from Shinjuku.
On our first visit, the woman there didn't speak any English and didn't have an English menu, but she was extremely helpful and made us a couple of meals which she chose - a curry set with two curries, brown rice and salad, and a salad bowl with soy meat and tahini dressing. Both were absolutely delicious!! We asked about an interesting jar on the counter, and after making a phone call she explained that it was fermented apple juice, which we had served with soy milk or soda - really tasty!
Her husband was there on our next visits and he chatted with us a lot and was really welcoming.
Child friendly, serves great coffee and beer, would highly recommend making the trip out for lunch!

Photo of CLOSED: Cafe Rappa  by <a href="/members/profile/Phoebeb">Phoebeb</a> <br/>Cute decor <br/> November 25, 2015  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/44541/126208'>Report</a>

Cute decor

Photo of CLOSED: Cafe Rappa  by <a href="/members/profile/Phoebeb">Phoebeb</a> <br/>Brown rice risotto! <br/> November 25, 2015  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/44541/126207'>Report</a>

Brown rice risotto!

Amazingly good!! - Edit

This was my favourite restaurant in Tokyo. Bear in mind the hours when coming here though (I believe the hours here are wrong, as when we went it closed at 3PM with last order at 2:30PM). I had the karaage bown (fried soy meat with brown rice and veggies) and my partner had a falafel. Both were amazingly delicious! The cook/owner really has a thing for flavours and how to make them work perfectly, I was honestly impressed by that. We also had ume (plum) juice carbonated and that was delicious too. We took a couple of muffins to go as well but they weren't as good as what I'm used to in the US but still not bad. Prices were very reasonable, dishes around 1000en each and drinks around 300-500en if I recall. Highly recommended and the owner is super nice. I don't know if she speaks English though since my partner and I spoke only Japanese (menu was in Japanese as well). Would come back again in a heartbeat. You can take a bus from Nakano station too if you want to avoid the Seibu line to get here.

Pros: Best tasting food I've had in Tokyo, Very reasonable prices, Cute decor inside and homely feeling

Cons: Location is a bit out of the way

Photo of CLOSED: Cafe Rappa  by <a href="/members/profile/NinomaeJyuuichi">NinomaeJyuuichi</a> <br/>Falafel and ume soda <br/> April 9, 2015  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/44541/98467'>Report</a>

Falafel and ume soda

Photo of CLOSED: Cafe Rappa  by <a href="/members/profile/NinomaeJyuuichi">NinomaeJyuuichi</a> <br/>Karaage bowl (from the daily special) <br/> April 9, 2015  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/44541/98466'>Report</a>

Karaage bowl (from the daily special)

Fantastic, friendly, homestyle - Edit

Down a side street near the Araiyakushimae Station (take the Seibu-Shinjuku line from Takadanababa Station, South exit, left, walk along - the map is accurate. I walked from Nakano Station, as that was near the place I was staying, but that might be a bit far for some) this place is a welcome relief if you're missing the style of homely, healthy vegan food readily available in most large Western cities. If you are Australian, think Newtown/Glebe in Sydney, Fitzroy in Melbourne, and you won't be far off.

The space feels homely and is clean and spacious and well lit - 4 bench seats, one table for 4 and three for 2 with lots of space in-between makes this larger than many of the local eateries. Access is better than most, with a fairly gentle sloped step up from the street and space between tables to manoeuvre. Decor involves wooden tables, crocheted coasters, nice plants and an antinuclear banner.

The proprietor/chef, Hiro, speaks good English and is friendly and happy to walk you through the fairly brief Japanese-only menu. Options include Indian style curries (one or two types), vegan pizza, felafel pockets, a japanese-style vegan set and a special. I was hungry, so chose the two curry option (root vegetable and a split chickpea and eggplant curry), which comes with brown rice and a generous fresh and delicious salad, with two tiny bonus felafels. Everything tasted freshly cooked and although there was nothing startlingly original about the food, it was prepared with care and attention and good ingredients.

Excellent. Highly recommended for anyone craving this style of vegan food, which seems hard to find in Tokyo, and the whole place is friendly and charming and welcoming. This deserves to be very popular.

Pros: Food is great, fresh and well cooked, Proprietor is friendly, speaks English, Space is calm, clean, welcoming

Cons: Very few cons! Short menu, maybe?, Not in major tourist area

Photo of CLOSED: Cafe Rappa  by <a href="/members/profile/MsVyv">MsVyv</a> <br/>Interior, and the curry plate <br/> September 18, 2014  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/44541/80314'>Report</a>

Interior, and the curry plate

nice homecooked vegan meal - Edit

I ventured out here to try this place and had an enjoyable meal. It's within 5 minutes of the station and the interior is cozy. The menu is not so large but has a nice selection and is one of few places where you can get vegan Japanese-style curry. My friend and I shared the vegan pizza, the 2 curry set, and the Cafe Rappa plate. Everything was nicely flavored and those 3 items provided ample portions for us. There were lots of beautiful fresh vegetables. Prices are quite reasonable. The friendly owner explained that he is interested in all natural/organic foods that are additive-free. I didn't try any sweets myself but all the other customers had ordered some so they appear to be popular. For non-Japanese speaking customers, the owner can speak some English.

Pros: good flavor, well-prepared, fresh ingredients

Cons: out-of-the-way location, a few more menu items would be nice

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe Rappa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.