Get the HappyCow App

HappyCow mobile application
The App Stores #1 vegetarian and vegan restaurant guide
Thousand of listings across the globe
Featured on CNN, NY Times, and Wall Street Journal
Download the app

© HappyCow 2018

Cafe Pyrus

519-954-7705

16 Charles St W, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2G 1H2

Vegetarian cafe since 2010. Food is vegan except for dairy cheese and milk for drinks. Offers coffee, sandwiches, main entrees, and pastries. Hosts readings, music nights, and other events. Takes debit cards. Open Mon-Fri 8:30am-6:30pm, Sat 9:00am-6:00pm, Sun 10:00am-6:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, Canadian

First Review by eatwild

EnthusedSilver

Contributions +68

22 May 2018

Do not miss if you're in Kitchener! - Edit

My omni boyfriend and I went here for breakfast and had the breakfast wrap and breakfast club with mango creamsicle shake and chai shake - everything was incredible, my very fussy bf loved it and said they were some of these best shakes and sandwiches he had ever had. We even went back later that day before we left Kitchener to get more sandwiches to take away - the angry vegan and the reuben - this place knows how to make an amazing sandwich. Highly recommend, don't miss it if you're in Kitchener.

Pros: Great food, Shakes, Lovely atmosphere

MeiMcKorrmik

04 Mar 2018

Love it - Edit

The waffles are store bought (Selections or Compliments gluten free, I hear.. Sobeys) frozen, some items are pre-mixed so bad if you hate one ingredient (tomatoes for me).. but other than that, great place. Been there several times, along with a meat eater friend. The foggy london tea is amazing when they have their lavender syrup.

Pros: Everything can be made vegan, Friendly staff, Variety of option

Cons: Can be costy, Busy

JustineCass

Contributions +110

09 Feb 2018

One of my favourite veggie spots in KW! - Edit

Cafe Pyrus is a wonderful spot. They have a great space, host fun events, and are a great spot for a meal, coffee, or to set up shop and get some work done. All of their food is delicious. Highly recommend any of the sandwiches.

Pros: Anything can be made vegan

Cons: None!

Sarinajw

Contributions +55

30 Jul 2017

Favourite veg cafe in KW - Edit

Delicious vegan food, lots of options regardless of what you're looking for (gluten-free, healthy, indulgent, kid-friendly, etc). Very casual vibe. Big enough for large groups. Cow milk and cheese is offered along with vegan milks and Daiya; be sure to specify if you want vegan when you order. Pyrus has really improved over the years in atmosphere, cleanliness, and customer service. The Big Bang, Club Sandwich, and Kale Caesar are my favourites.

Pros: Affordable, Quick service

Cons: Parking can be a challenge

vanessacanadese

Contributions +31

13 Jul 2017

Delicious - Edit

I eat here regularly, and I've never had a bad meal. You can't skip this place if you're in Kitchener-Waterloo. You can't go wrong.

Keith_Thode

Contributions +650

05 Jun 2017

Excellent comfort food. - Edit

Terrific sandwiches, side orders, desserts, smoothies and juices. Friendly staff. Couldn't ask for more. Also noted for their coffee.

Five26

Contributions +98

22 May 2017

awesome burger - Edit

Worth driving way out of your way for this burger. Tons of other vegan options.

Dancingbarefoot

Contributions +248

09 Jan 2017

yum! - Edit

Love this place. We've been a few times now and loves everything we've gotten.

plant_based_princess

Contributions +56

05 Dec 2016

I love this place - Edit

This is the first vegetarian/vegan friendly cafe I went to. I love how close it is to my house. The food is very good. I love the quiet environment. They have free WiFi. It is a great place to study too.

Pros: I I live nearby, Friendly staff, Nice Atmosphere

Cons: Kinda expensive

GreenSpiritYogi

Contributions +64

12 Oct 2016

Awesome Veg Cafe! - Edit

We thoroughly enjoyed our 1st and 2nd experiences at Cafe Pyrus! From out of town visiting, this was a pleasant surprise and new addition to the veg scene since we visited KW last.
Delicious vegan treats!
*not completely vegan, cafe does serve organic dairy as an option, but the focus is definitely vegan.

Pros: Vegan treats/baking/menu options, Great vibe

Cons: No Dinner Menu ... yet?!

JenBaggs

09 Aug 2016

BEST VEGAN FOOD - Edit

I could eat here 3 times a day. Every menu item is full of flavour and fresh ingredients!!

BizVegan

Contributions +44

14 Apr 2016

A must for awesome vegan lunches and great coffee - Edit

The Club is outstanding and most everything can be made gluten free if you ask.

jessoc

15 Feb 2016

Thus far, the best. - Edit

Currently, Cafe Pyrus is the best vegetarian and vegan eatery in KW, with hearty and affordable meals.

Their house-made, vegan, peanut butter cookies are a treat and they have an arrangement of vegan cupcakes made by Fairly Frosted Cupcakes that are also worth more than just a ton of calories.

"the angry vegan" is their best sandwich, because you can add this extra old organic cheddar from a QuĂ©bec cheese vendor - L'ancĂȘtre.

Also, their feature soups are always delectable and the feature sandwiches are so good that I've always devoured them before thinking of sharing a picture of its awesome-ness with you, HappyCow reader. I will try harder for this, in the future.

T'il then - bon app!

Pros: Vegan cupcakes & local cheese, Kombucha on tap - request a glass cup., monthly art exhibits & music shows

Cons: Napkins are served under the food., Sometimes, they have forgotten my pickle

OccasionalGrump

Contributions +34

30 Jul 2015

More than acceptable, less than great - Edit

My wife and I had dinner here recently on a Sunday evening. For the most part, we enjoyed our dinners, a veggieburger thingie and a vegan-not-really-cheese quesadilla. However, there wasn't anything really special about them. The desserts, a peanut-butter-and-chocolate scone and a chocolate doughnut, were disappointing. The iced coffee and iced chai were really nice.

Overall, I'd say it's a good alternative to scouring the menu at a general restaurant trying to find vegan or vegetarian options, but it's not worth going out of one's way to eat there.

tinnnnnna

27 Jan 2014

:) - Edit

LOVED IT! Got a gluten free wrap with hummus / spinach / & carrots. was great!...but was upset when i got a pickle and chips on the side.. haha maybe next time i'll say something ahead of time :') cause i'll be going again/
Updated from previous review on Monday January 27, 2014

Pros: good service, great price, variety

Cons: not in my town

runningemily

18 Mar 2013

Extremely Impressed - Edit

I was staying in Kitchener-Waterloo to visit the University of Waterloo campus and I looked online for a vegan restaurant in town and found Cafe Pyrus. I went for breakfast with my mom and we were both thoroughly impressed with the menu options, our meal, the music, atmosphere, staff, price, and just about everything. I was very pleased to find that it is right across the street from one of the GRT stops and I am looking forward to visit Cafe Pyrus on a regular basis next year while at university.

Pros: location, variety of options, all vegan, inexpensive, staff, atmosphere, ect.

RyanKorczak

Contributions +28

28 Jul 2012

The best - Edit

Go-to vegan restaurant in K-W. I recommend it highly. Super affordable and amazing staff. Food is always tasty. I'd recommend the rad thai and the club sandwich as my faves. The baked goods are always changing and are a great treat. Super relaxed roomy space. High quality coffee and tea. Regular hang out spot for me or place to go when you are hungry.

Petesternz

Contributions +1310

03 Jul 2012

Impressive coffee but food lacking... - Edit

On second visit, was much less impressed. Food very average, at best.

Did notget a chance to eat there but stopped in for coffee and a scone and was very impressed. Nice cozy space with delicious coffee. Scone was solid too! Cant wait to try the weekend brunch!
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 08, 2012

SaraNovocin

Contributions +33

14 Mar 2012

IMO - Edit

Went here for the first time and had a chai shake (made w/ almond milk) and a g-f pb cookie. Both were delicious! Can't wait to go back and try some more of their foods. :) Their prices seem pretty reasonably, too.

Pros: Comfy couches, Knitting nights on Thursdays

jenisnape

07 Feb 2012

Hit or Miss - Edit

For the most part I love Cafe Pyrus. Sometimes I love what I get...other times I'm not impressed at all. I will need to try more items to make a completely fait judgement. The drinks they offer are amazing though! Their version of a london fog made with almond milk is that best i've ever had :)

Pros: Vareity, Vegan choices, friendly staff

Cons: hit or miss with food

Mr Bones

Contributions +6

Non Vegetarian
11 Jan 2012

Never a let down - Edit

I've been going to Cafe Pyrus now for the past year and a half, and I have never had a bad experience! The coffee is incredible! And its great to be able to choose between different roasts! And the tea selection is just as good! The staff not only treat you like gold, but they pour and cook gold too.
All my life, I have been a Timmys drinkin', red meat eatin' son of a gun. But now, since Pyrus, I've realized what good food and drinks should taste like. I'm still a meat eater, but if there's any place that could convert me (and is VERY close to it), it would be Cafe Pyrus.
It's not very common for a new small business to have such a great impact in its community so early in its life. But they have, and continue to do so. They know what people want, and they provide it!
Be it a quiet place to read or surf the web (free WIFI and books/magazines/games), give bands a great music venue, hold gatherings/meetings/parties, or just to stare out their huge street side bay windows, Cafe Pyrus has what you need!
It's refreshing to know a place like this exists....finally! I look forward to being a customer of theirs for a long time!

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Great place

Shaytheveggiegurl

Contributions +24

08 Jan 2012

Nice Place to Hang Out - Edit

I find Cafe Pyrus to be a quaint little cafe. Its in a great location and the prices are very reasonable. I would love it if they took a few more risks and experimented with more depth of flavors. The present the food very nicely but I found that they need to either add some more seasonings or invent some condiments for those who like more flavor to their food.

Pros: Reasonable Prices, Place to Hang Out, Close to bus route

Cons: Conservative with spices, Not enough two people seating

jdwarner215

Contributions +51

07 Nov 2011

BEST! - Edit

Vegan food is delicious! They knock themselves out to give you exactly what you need. Will go there as often as possible, great food, friendly, helpful staff, and the coffee, it's simply the best! Atmosphere is creative and changing, family with children friendly, old people friendly, relaxed living room/dining room, artwork new and exciting or occasionally not so great, but fun just the same. Highly recommended from a vegetarian of 35+ years.

Carley

Contributions +36

18 Oct 2011

Best restrant of all time, not just vegan - Edit

This restrant is truely amazing, not only is the atmosphere calming and inviting but absolutely everything (and I mean everything) on the menu is amazing. I have never had a bad experience, th staff is always very kind and friendly. And the coffee is amazing! Fresh brewed and organic, not to mention delicious. I reccomend trying the super shake for sure, and the samoa cookie. As for a main meal, take your choice they always have fresh new specials every day and I am never disappointed. Defiantly take the time to visit this place, I promise it won't be your last

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Organic & vegan

Cons: Adicting

surfindoc

Contributions +13

05 Sep 2011

Very Disappointing (and confusing) Experience - Edit

I was very disappointed with my experience at Pyrus. It was one of the worst experiences I have had at a restaurant (or in any other area of customer service.)
I went in search of some vegan baked goods to surprise my sister on her birthday. Since the options were limited, I tried to buy 8 little cookies but was told I could not as "that's like almost our whole stock of those cookies", asked if I could alternatively buy just a couple cookies (even though the original response made no sense to me, since they are in the business of selling cookies), and the girl then sighed and told me they were actually closed.
Since the door was open when I arrived and they had begun taking my order, I'm not sure how this could be the case. When, disappointed, I said I guess I would leave if it was too much trouble and the cash registers were already shut down, she explained to me that she might have been willing to help me if I had just wanted something easy, but since it had "kept getting more complicated" and I wanted "a lot more stuff" she changed her mind.
I am still pretty dumbfounded by this experience and I will definitely never go back! (on a brighter note, I did find a delicious chocolate orange muffin for my sis, down the street at another cafe where the staff were super friendly!)

Cons: surprisingly unfriendly, unhelpful staff

Ken4057

Contributions +1195

17 Aug 2011

Sweet place to, as the kids say, chill - Edit

High ceilings, couches, Valu Village furniture, board games, local art, grassroots event info all over. I immediately took a liking to this place.

My partner and I had the breakfast bake for $8. It came with bread and jam, tofu scramble with daiya cheese, fruit and two small tempeh sticks. Everything was cold. The scramble was much more veggie than tofu. Cheap tho.

I'd still come back if I lived here.

Return to Kitchener Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Pyrus closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.