Cafe Nom De Plume

Contact 01314781372

60 Broughton St, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH1 3SA

Serves meat, vegan options available. Progressive small cafe, with a relaxed vibe; a 10 minute walk to the main train station. Staff understands veganism. The street has a very bar/cafe culture. Has four vegan mains and four vegetarian mains, plus several starters and sides are vegan.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by craigmc

Lovely vegan options - Edit

For a cafe that isn't vegetarian let alone vegan, I was extremely impressed by Cafe Nom De Plumes vegan options on their menu. The staff were very attentive, especially when we walked in close to their closing time, having only arrived in Edinburgh however they were kind enough to seat us. We stumbled upon it not knowing it would be an ideal place to eat! I had a Vegan Chilli served with guacamole and tortilla crisps which was delicious. Very happy over all and would definitely go back

Pros: 3 or 4 vegan options, friendly staff knowledgeabl

Cons: Wanted to try the asparagus and broad bean risotto

Great Cafe with a Range of Options - Edit

This was the place where I finally gave up on my stubborn refusal to eat vegetarian haggis (which was predicated on a belief that I still hold - that tasty as it is, it shouldn't be called haggis, because it clearly isn't), and I'm glad I did. I've been back since for an equally delicious lasagna. The service is perhaps not the quickest you'll ever experience, but it's more of a place for a relaxed, drawn-out experience rather than a quick bite to eat anyway, so I would highly recommend it.

Good portions and helpful staff - Edit

Visited on a Tuesday evening in January. The staff were happy to answer any queries I had about how vegan dishes were, and I enjoyed a variety including very filling haggis nachos.

The cafe has eclectic decor and a pleasingly relaxed atmosphere.

the best things in life - Edit

Sometimes the best things in life are accidental - and so it was with our discovery of Cafe Nom De Plume. My mother, sister and I wandered down Broughton Street in Edinburgh on a recent trip. We were actually headed to a particular spot for lunch, however on arrival discovered our target eatery wasn't open until 4pm. So we just turned to the restaurant right next door to it - which was Cafe Nom De Plume. Our lunch was amazing. We opted for olives, breads, oils, hummus, pittas and nachos with vegetarian haggis (sounds weird but it was sooooo good). The food was fit for a king. Also the bottles of house white Pinot Grigio were delicious and happened to be only £12 each (thus we had two bottles - of course!). Our food was so enjoyable we thought we'd try dessert (despite our 'diets') and we shared a large dessert of O'Galloway ice cream. Service was attentive, helpful and delightful. An awesome relaxed cafe, which serves awesome food.

Pretty good food but definite room for improvement - Edit

I came here in the second half of December 2014 and had a decent meal of baked aubergine followed by halva. The aubergine was very tasty in a rich tomato sauce, but unfortunately despite asking clearly for 'the vegan baked aubergine' and it being marked as vegan on the menu it was served with a pat of dairy butter. The staff seemed not to understand what vegan meant when I asked them to remove it, which is pretty poor for a cafe which promotes itself as vegan-friendly. It also left me with serious concerns about trusting them to actually provide a vegan meal in the first place and I think it is very unlikely I would come here again.

Pros: Good food, Vegan marked on menu, Nice space

Cons: Staff don't understand veganism, "Vegan" meal served with dairy butter

Yummy and Funky - Edit

This place was delicious and had a great number of vegan dishes. It was a very pleasant atmosphere and a very funky design for the inside of the restaurant. I was amazed to find vegan haggis...I had no idea that was possible.

Pros: Lots of Vegan options, Great Atmosphere, Perfect Location

central and friendly - Edit

ten minutes walk from either the bus or train station, this is a great option for a quick bite.
a friend recommended cafe nom de plume and i was pleasantly surprised. the vegan and vegetarian options were clearly marked and a decent selection of mains, starters and light bites were available.
i had a couple of ingredient questions for the staff, who were aware of what was in each dish and very accommodating in trying to please. a warm interior make you feel very welcome with staff to match.
if you don't have time to visit one of edinburgh's totally veg eateries, this is a good option.

Pros: staff, clear menu, tasty food

Cons: meat

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Nom De Plume closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2610 times since Jun 2014.