Cafe Nola

Contact 301-694-6652

4 E Patrick St, Frederick, Maryland, USA, 21701

Serves meat, vegan options available. A combination of a coffeehouse, restaurant, and bar located in downtown Frederick. The atmosphere is casual, and the walls feature regularly updated art collections. The menu includes organic and local ingredients with vegetarian options. Try the orange crush made with the orange infused rum, fresh orange juice, and fizzy water. Has Wi-Fi.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by NIBsmf

Nice, Funky Place for Veg + Non-Veg's - Edit

I usually dine with non-vegans so it's considerate to find a place to eat where we all have choices.

I ordered the black bean/veggie wrap and really enjoyed it. My non-vegan companion thought it was better than the turkey sandwich she ordered.

There are few vegan options but they are very good and they do change from time to time so you get variety. (Read other reviews to see that other vegan options had been reviewed -- options that I did not see.)

Pros: Good place to go with non-vegans/veggies, Great vegan options, Relaxed funky place in downtown

Cons: Limited menu for vegans

Good food & drink - Edit

I never ate a meal at Café Nola that I didn't enjoy, and they try to get as much local produce as possible. I think the beverages are my favorite part. You can get a soy latte or a happy hour cocktail with their liquor infusions. Their fryers are not dedicated :( However, every time I have been there,the wait staff has been very knowledgeable and helpful. They don't look at you like you have two heads when you say you are vegan, and even have a decal saying they are "proud to serve vegetarian and vegan meals."

Pros: atmosphere, live music, happy hour

Cons: noisy, no dedicated fryers

Great Drinks and Food in Frederick - Edit

Although there are admittedly limited vegan options at Cafe Nola, this restaurant is still a gem. The staff is friendly, there's a great drink selection, and lots of vegetarian options. I had the vegan BLT, a side salad, and a beer, and thought it was a great lunch. Very satisfying! I will definitely stop here again when I'm in the neighborhood. The only drawback is the restaurant is very popular, so it can be a bit of a wait for a seat. We waited ten minutes, but it was well worth the wait!

Pros: Drink Selection, Tasty Food, Friendly Service

Cons: Waiting for a table is likely

Good food in a great location. - Edit

Cafe Nola doesn't offer a ton of vegan options, but their vegetarian offerings are plentiful and it's a cute place to grab a bite when you're hanging out downtown. I agree with NIBsmf, the black bean burger wasn't quite seasoned to my liking. It had a very strong cumin taste, which I don't really care for. If you are a fan of cumin, you might really enjoy it. I'm fairly limited to what I can try at Nola, but their tofu scramble is tasty and the last time I was there I had a pumpkin spice latte (with your choice of soy or almond milk) that was delightful. It was probably the best pumpkin spice latte I've ever had. I'm not sure they have the stir-fry anymore, the last time I looked at their menu I didn't see it. Nola tends to be fairly busy at almost any given time, so service can be a little slow as a result and you may need to wait for a table to open up. My overall experience at Nola has been good, I would recommend it to friends.

Pros: lots of veg options, great location

Cons: few vegan options

Cute atmosphere and yummy veg*n options - Edit

Food: 8. There are a lot of vegetarian options, and there are a handful of vegan options (off the top of my head I remember a stir fry, a curry, a hummus plate, and a black bean burger). I ended up with the black bean burger with sweet potato fries. I really liked it! It was a little bit spicy/zesty, but not overwhelmingly so. My only complaint is that it was a bit mushy. I like that the restaurant has non-dairy milk options and vegan desserts.

Prices: 8. Average prices, like somewhere around $8-10 for the black bean burger and fries.

Atmosphere: 8. Cute and cozy. Feels like a coffee house more than a restaurant. I've been in there when there is live music. It's a lively kind of place.

Service: 8. It was pretty busy when I was there for dinner, so the service was a tad bit slow. The waitress was very nice, though.

Pros: good veg*n options, reasonable prices, cozy atmosphere

Cons: could have even more veg*n options

Return to Frederick Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Nola closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3644 times since May 2010.