Cafe Mosaics

Contact 780-433-9702

10844 82nd Ave (at Old Strathcona), Edmonton, Alberta, Canada,

Billed as "the vegetarian and vegan waterhole," this cafe offers a simple menu that includes veggie burgers, a noodle soup, juices. Falafel offered on Friday. Busy on weekends. Loud music. No storefront sign, just the street number. Accepts debit cards. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Western

First Review by greensky_888

Great Brunch - Edit

Three of us ventured there for a Saturday brunch and it was busy, busy. The music was a little on the loud side but everything else was great: the service, the colourful good tasting food and a positive atmosphere. Two of us had the scramble and one the hues rancheros.

Pros: Good service, Excellent vegan brunch

Cons: A touch loud, Not cheap

Lovely food but loud and crappy music - Edit

Went there with a bunch of old friends I hadn't seen for a long time. I don't live in Edmonton anymore so hadn't been there before. Really enjoyed the food and thought the service was great, however, they had musicians playing just outside, all of whom were terrible and also terribly loud. It made it very difficult to keep up a conversation.

Pros: Lovely food, Good portions, Friendly and helpful service

Cons: Terrible and loud music

Great selection of fresh tasty food - Edit

Amazing ambiance with very friendly staff. Every item on the menu looked amazing and almost everything could be veganized. They have all day breakfast (including vegan benny,) lota of great appies and entrees, fancy drinks and fresh juices. I wish I could try all the menu items!

Pros: great variety of menu items, fresh food, friendly staff

One of my favourites - Edit

Edmonton really only has about 5 vegetarian / Vegan restaurants. Mosaics is a busy place with lots of energy and louder music always playing. The food is pretty good overall and quality ingredients. I love the Happy Cow! The salads are great and large too.
I have also had some of the best, creative soups here and some excellent beverages. They are also licensed and serve craft beers etc.

They do serve dairy but most anything can be made vegan too.

Pros: Good menu variety. High quality food and upbeat we

Cons: Busy place sometimes and no seating available.

Cute café for all audiences! - Edit

i had a very pleasant time here. As a non-vegan (for now, hehe), I was a little hesitant on coming here. The wait wasn't too bad, considering how busy it was when I arrived. I got the stir fry, and it was absolutely delightful. Very filling and tasty. Definitely will be back here again soon!

new hip atmosphere - Edit

We used to come here before the update and the food is still great - maybe even better now. Nice variety to choose from - even our meat eating teenage niece enjoyed herself. Great juices. Love the burrito. Can be loud and "hipster" but we like it

Pros: good food good prices , nice atmosphere

Cons: can be loud - music, talking.

Love this place - Edit

The food is incredible with a fantastic menu with numerous options. I have had a tofu scramble for breakfast. For dinner I have had the "cheese" burger, Caesar salad, boneless wings, soy tuna ceviche and it was all fantastic. My kids love it too. The atmosphere is great. My only complaint are the prices. We'd eat here regularly as a family if it were cheaper but it's slightly overpriced so we usually go elsewhere.

Pros: food, staff

Cons: prices

Happy Cow bowl - Edit

Both the Happy Cow bowl, with a side of hash browns, and the Pho soup are awesome! Service is friendly and there is plenty of choices for beverages and other dishes. The chocolate cake was also very good.

Not wild about this place.... until they renovated - Edit

There are a few OK choices here, but portions are tiny and the food is nothing special. I have been a couple of times and now have just stopped. It's not worth it.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 02, 2013:

OK - now this is a great restaurant. The renovations have changed the menu and the look. It's now a beautiful place with a lot of character. Tons of vegan desserts, and great options. Could become Edmonton's premier veggie attraction. The food is very good. Recommend the chicken wings and the spicy burger which were both excellent. Candied bacon not my thing, but the kids loved it. It's a very very good place. Need to try a few more things before calling it excellent, but a VERY welcome addition (renovation) to Edmonton.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 29, 2015

And now, after having been twice - I'm calling it excellent. The Lemon Chickpea falafel is excellent. Great food, great vibe. Try it!

Pros: Beautiful decor, Lots of dessert options

Cons: Little bit pricey

Okay... - Edit

Not bad. Did not like the loud music. The menu states on front cover something like "we like loud music.." Many people do, but I don't. For that reason alone, I won't be back.

To be fair the food I had was good (lunch time). Small restaurant. Waitress was friendly enough. Mismatched salt and pepper shakers.

Seems like a restaurant that is trying hard but it is not for me. I beleive there is only street parking but could be wrong...

Pros: Good food , Friendly , Nice choices

Cons: Loud music, Small restaurant, Street parking

OK if it's your only option - Edit

It takes a lot for a vegetarian restaurant to disappoint me. This is one I won't be going back to unless I have no other option.

It's a very small place, but we waited 15 minutes just to get menus. Music is too loud for conversation. The "wings" were dry, almost burned, and overprices. Water is served in soft plastic glasses. (A veg place should know better). Limited holiday hours.

In the past, I've enjoyed great veggie breakfast here. Gotta say though I was surprised to see hot poached eggs served in plastic dish - and the plastic was cracked, no less!

On a previous visit, server placed a whack of candy canes in front of our kid - not exactly what I look forward to at a healthy restaurant.

Updated from previous review on Sunday January 10, 2010

Pros: vegetarian food, location

Cons: plastic dishes, candy, too loud for coversation

Mystery Burger - Yummy mystery - Edit

Stopped into Cafe Mosaics after not being there for a few years. I had the Mystery Burger and was VERY impressed. Tan (the owner) brought out a sample of the vegan lemon cake she makes and that was really delicious. I will start to go there more often because the food is so good.

Great tofu burger! - Edit

I love Cafe Mosaic's spicy bomb tofu burger, the sauce is absolutely mouth watering. I go here about once a month, and I usually order the same thing every time! The caesar salad can be made vegan and is really good too. The restaurant itself is a bit of a hole in the wall, but the value and portion size is excellent.

Pros: TOFU BURGER!, falafel friday, good value

Cons: Kind of ugly decor, bad for big groups

Small but good - Edit

I love this place. I have been coming here for years. Randomly every time I go the menu seems different. Not a bad thing though. Sometimes things are added, other times things are taken off. Not sure why but it doesn't matter. I could live on their veggie burgers. Make sure to ask for your meal made vegan because they do use dairy and some things have cheese on them. The menu usually tells you what can be made vegan though.

Pros: Good food, Large portions

Cons: A little pricey, Super tiny, Staff a little pretenous

My Valentine's Restaurant! - Edit

Cafe Mosaics is a favorite of mine and my fiance! The atmosphere is great. I love the ever changing art on the walls. They have a simple but great menu! That is expanding. I have to admit I have only had a few items on the menu as I love the Creamy Portabella Pasta and always wrestle when I come as to whether I should try something new or stick with the Creamy Portabella Pasta. I see they now have a vegan Pho, so this may be one of my next taste adventures when out for lunch!

Pros: generous portions, good value, great atmosphere

Cons: slow service

Its not worth the fuss - Edit

I've been hearing for years how good this restaurant is supposed to be, but I've had 2 poor experiences with it and I'm not even interested in trying again.
Even though it was 20 minutes before they were supposed to close, my boyfriend and I were turned away because they wanted to leave early. This was supposed to be out anniversary dinner and it was supposed to be a big deal but they were too busy for customers. We didn't even get an apology, we just got shoo'd out.
I tried to go again, a year later thinking that maybe it was just a one time thing but no. There was one other table busy and you could see there were 3 people working. I ended up waiting for longer than would be OK for anywhere that small and not busy before the server could be bothered with me. There were snarky signs up about the music choices and the atmosphere just felt forced. All of the food was stupidly over priced and barely any of it was vegan, they didn't even have soy milk for coffee, and the whole menu seemed like it was eggs and cheese. The way everything was written up, it seemed like unless I got a 15.00 pita with falafel, it wouldn't be easy to tell if it was vegan and that's not the kind of thing you mess around with people about. You can go to pretty much any restaurant and get something vegetarian, but I wouldn't expect such a lack of effort from a vegetarian and "vegan" cafe. Due to the lack of vegan options and just horrible attitude, I wouldn't go back and I would never ever reccommend it to a friend

Pros: easy to find

Cons: price, apathetic staff

"Meh" - Edit

Everytime I go to cafe mosaics I walk out of there indifferent. Is the food amazing? No, but it isn't horrible either. Their chili is bland, their pasta is too greasy, their breakfast is boring and the salad needs to change. The only items on the menu that I enjoy are the secret burrito and the vegan chocolate cake9which I can easily bake at home). The service leaves very much to be desired and I hope whoever is in charge soon realizes that hipsters and scene kids do not make very good customer service oriented servers. Cafe Mosaics has a lot of potential but until the cooks learn to be original and give their food something special, I won't be returning, especially considering the nasty service I get every single time.

Pros: Local, Very nice art, Moderately priced

Cons: Bad service, Bland food, Messy

gross - Edit

Cafe Mosiacs would be a great a place if they had someone with food and sanitation knowledge. but for now we have to resort to a filthy atmosphere and food that can barely compare to those of a TV dinner. their menu, much like their staff is exhausted.

Pros: Falafal friday

Cons: dirty, zero consistancy

D-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s ! - Edit

My first visit to this restaurant and I would definately go back! I had a cup of the Vegan Tomato and Garlic Soup and a small Ceasar Salad (vegan without the cheese) and was both stuffed and happy! Delicious large portion sizes will definately have me coming back!

Pros: Vegan Options, Resonable Prices, Very Tasty!

Cons: Small, Tiny bit noisy

Tasty - Edit

I just got back from eating at this café, I'm so happy I went =) the food I ordered was very tasty! I got their pancakes ( which are Vegan, w/o the butter) They were sooo good reminded me of cornbread mmm As well I added fresh fruit very cheap under 10$ and you get 3 huge pancakes! Maybe they hired new staff or something because I received great service and they very quick and the place was packed (on a Sunday around 1) I will defiantly be going there again during the weekdays to try the vegan Chocolate cake I've herd so much about ... ;)

Pros: Vegan Options , Great Value, Friendly staff

Cons: Smaller (who cares)

Good for breakfast - Edit

Very cute little spot for breakfast on Whyte Ave. They have a much larger menu when it's not Weekend Brunch. Not 100% vegan, but is 100% vegetarian.

Pros: large portions, made to order food, very cute atmosphere

Cons: crowded, service can be slow

good breakfast - Edit

taking the advice of previous reviews, we came in on a weekday for breakfast to avoid the crowds. it is a cool little restaurant. the service was quite good. the menu was small, but the food was innovative and very good. we recommend the "cowgirl" breakfast dish. it was excellent.

ups and downs - Edit

i visited cafe mosaics several times during my stay in edmonton this august. many of the dishes can be altered for a vegan, which is great. i liked the atmosphere and music of the place. the food was consistent and fairly tasty. i found the serving staff to be inconsistent - some where very friendly, others would just plop something down on your table without saying boo with a very apathetic attitude. i found other inconsistencies too - i asked for a side of salsa with a particular meal. the first time or two i asked for this, it was included. one of two other times (i went there a lot) they charged me $1.50 for the salsa (which i think they should mention if it will me extra, but whatever.) and another time someone actually charged $2.oo for this little side of salsa (about two tablespoons worth, I'd say) - which seems a little ridiculous. But it was more the fact that the price was inconsistent that bothered me a lot.

another time, i asked to substitute soy ice cream with the chocolate ganache when i ordered the fruit crisp. i've done this before several times. but the most recent time i was charged extra for the ganache. again - inconsistency is not good.

Pros: atmosphere, vegan friendly

Cons: some staff unfriendly, inconsistency in price

Good Food - Edit

Lots of options, serves breakfast all day and does lunch and dinner
has the best chocolate vegan cak in the city and have a fruit crips too!!!
lot's of vegan friendly food, all vegetarian!!

Pros: tastiness, service

Poor Customer Service! - Edit

>Loud music- not able to have a conversation.
>Staff- is rude & look like they just got out of bed.
>Food service- Very slow....waited over an hour for simple dishes!

Pros: vegan, good tasting, non-smoking enviroment

Cons: loud music, rude staff, very slow service

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Mosaics closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6004 times since Aug 2007.