Cafe Mlynek

Contact +48-124306202

Wolnica Square 7, Krakow, Poland, 30-061

Bed and breakfast with a veggie cafe that offers breakfast food, Polish pierogi with mushroom, noodle, spinach pancakes, quiche, desserts, and vegan soups. Cozy atmosphere, located near the Kazimierz district. Hosts music some evenings. Mon-Sun 8:00am-3:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Polish

First Review by Upliftance

Nice vegan dessert - Edit

Stopped by for dessert at lunchtime and had a nice vegan date and almond thing (can't remember exactly). Lemonade was also nice. Would reccomend! Lots of vegan options. They did however put nuts on top of my friend's drink without asking, which was an issue as she is mildly allergic.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Good location in Jewish district, Good food

Cons: Nuts came on drink unexpectedly

Great Breakfast & Bigos - Edit

I ate here on several occasions. Had the Vegan Breakfast (strange but great!) and the Bigos (fantastic) and Corn Pancakes (okay). Location great, service fast and friendly, super cheap and lits of choice. I've uploaded a couple of pics too. Round the corner from Nova - another great Vegan eatery. Definitely recommend this place!

A solid option - Edit

I found Cafe Mlynek solid, but a little uninspired. All the pierogi are non-vegan, which is a real shame. I wanted to try some Polish food so I had bigos, which was a cabbage and mushroom stew. It was really tasty and had a good kick, though the bread it was served with was a little dry. I thought the portion sizes were a little small (my boyfriend is vegetarian so he had some pierogi, but it was just a plate of dumplings, no salad or anything), so getting more than one course is advisable. However, the vegan starters were both hummus-based and there's only one vegan dessert, which I was willing to try - but nobody came back to take our order. All in all, it was good but not mind-blowing.

Impressive vegan breakfast! - Edit

I came here with my girlfriend on a Sunday morning for their vegan breakfast.

The serving was huge: a massive salad, 3 types of bean paste, pesto, basket of bread and fried tofu with carrot.

It came with unlimited tea/coffee for a fantastic price, and was so filling we couldn't even finish the bread (which never happens to us!)

Great place, big menu but not a huge amount of vegan options. Lovely big vegan breakfast for cheap though!

Pros: Huge portion, Good food and service

Cons: Need more vegan options

HUGE breakfast - Edit

Absolutely incredible breakfast! The vegan breakfast was huge, filling and healthy. Loads of veggies, different types of pea pastes that were like houmous, parsley pesto etc. Unlimited tea/coffee too. So, so good.

Pros: value, size of portions, unlimited coffee

we enjoyed it - Edit

It's a week ago that we stayed in Kraków and luckily found Cafe Mlynek. We had a big and good breakfast there. I liked the grated tofu with carrots the most, it was very tasty. Also the parsley pesto and hummus. We went there a second time in the evening for a glass of vegan wine which they offer.

Pros: huge vegan breakfast, , inexpensive , nice to sit outside, vegan wine

Cons: no

Very cute place, good vegan options - Edit

This is my 3rd time and Krakow and I always come back to this place. My favorite dish is definitely the vegan latkes. The tofu sandwich is also good.

Pros: Fresh, Good prices, Nice location

Fatastic Find in Krakow - Edit

We were amazed and delighted to find this "cafe" - actually a full service restaurant - in the heart of charming Kaziemerz by one of the main squares. We ate here half-dozen times and everything was delicious. Polish specialties (well, except for no meat or fish) as well as Italian pastas, various pancakes, a few curries, tofu dishes, and some other international choices, with great soups and appetizers from a very large menu. They also serve vodka, wine, beer and desserts. The Cafe is also a B&B (we stayed here too) with very inexpensive and basic but quiet and comfortable rooms. Friendly staff; popular with the locals. Funky old Polish decor.

Pros: very large and diverse selection, everything was delicious

Big tasty portions! - Edit

Loved this place! Great service and atmosphere and the food was great. Our entrees (the hummus plate and tofu salad) were HUGE. They could have been mains. The main dishes were a normal size but very tasty. I had the polish stew which was hearty comfort food (served with bread) and my boyfriend had prerogis. It would be nice if they added a vegan prerogi option as the only authentic polish vegan dish on the menu was the stew. They could also use more vegan dessert options (I found the date and nut dessert - the only vegan option - a bit sickly sweet and boring). The mulled wine was delicious!

Pros: Yummy, Big portions, Friendly service

Cons: More vegan options, especially dessert

Russian dumplings and polish beer mmmmm - Edit

Lovely little restaurant in the old Jewish part of krakow. Staff are friendly and prices reasonable. I only had the Russian dumplings which came with sour cream. They are stuffed with potatoes and cheese and are delicious. The beer was lovely too. Varied menu with polish dishes and other options like pasta. Will definitely be going back here before i go home.

Good food in a relaxed atmosphere. - Edit

Had seen this café on Happy Cow and ended up there after a long heavy morning at the Schindler Factory museum. We had a very welcome, delicious and relaxed lunch sitting outside overlooking the square. Chose the 2 course set lunch for about 19 zloty each. Lovely soup to start and main choices of mixed dumplings or potato tortilla and salads. Both were delicious. Added vegan ice cream to finish off which was lovely too - we tried the chocolate flavour. Homemade 'lemonade' was inventive and refreshing: a glass full of crushed ice, watermelon, orange and mint. Well worth trying.

Pros: relaxed atmosphere, good portions

Good But Not Great - Edit

Nice place, the food is good, plentiful but not special, everything I could snap up at home in 5 minutes, which of course doesn't make it bad but keeps me from giving it 5 stars.

Also it would be cool to have more vegan options, for example you can get a milkshake but only with cow milk... Also there's only one vegan desert which is like a typical raw fruit date type so don't expect to be blown away but all in all a nice place I would recommend

Pros: Nice Atmosphere, Homestyle Cooking, Easy Readable Menu

Cons: Not Enough Vegan Options, Not Enough Vegan Desserts, Not The Cheapest

Saved me! - Edit

Loved this place, as others have mentioned their vegan breakfast is awesome.....very creative & tasty selection.

Went there 3 times in 2 days so that should tell you something!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Awesome vegan breakie , Friendly staff

Totally Go here!! - Edit

I loved this place. I ordered both the corn pancakes and latkes with mushroom sauce. Both absolutely amazing. Loved it. Good service and nice for breakfast.

Pros: Delicious, Good location in Jewish district

Cons: Come early cause they close early

Great vegan breakfast - Edit

"The vegan breakfast" is one of the best meals I've had in eastern Europe.

This place is open for breakfast, which might be one of your only vegan options for breakfast in the city. That's a huge factor in why I went there, but I was really delighted. The waitress was friendly, food was GREAT, and prices were super cheap.

Definitely going back again in the future.

Pros: All-veg, Breakfast foods, Friendly staff

Great gem of a cafe. - Edit

I ate here twice during a recent trip to Krakow - once for breakfast where we sat outside in the sunshine, and once late at night for an after-dark dinner.

Everything we ordered was delicious, fresh and flavourful. My party of three (one omni, one veggie, one vegan) were consistently thrilled with our dishes. English menus made it easy to choose what we wanted to eat, the cafe itself has a lovely atmosphere and the staff were really helpful and kind. I enjoyed a tofu and vegan pesto sandwich as well as a tofu/coriander and rice dish. My brother ordered the Polish dumplings, which were out of this world. Our mother enjoyed a Polish-style veggie breakfast and a vegetable pasta dish. It was incredibly good value for money and I'd have happily eaten there for every meal.

Pros: variety, cheap, atmospheric

Cons: none!

Green Light for Vegans - Edit

A bustling traditional Polish cafe in a very impressive setting in amazing Kazimierz. Highly rated and recommended by local people and alternative local guide books. It's located right under a hostel but I don't know whether they have a connection with them or not. Very busy indeed. In the past the main focus used to be on milk, cheese and egg-based meals. However, after visiting again in August 2011 the menu has changed considerably with many vegan options clearly marked. It's a great place to soak up the summer sun outside or a romantic meal inside at night. To sample traditional and delicious Polish food I would suggest the bigos, potato cakes (naliesniki) or the dumplings (pierogi). The staff are a bit young and dis-intersted but the food is great and drinks are cheap. The setting in the heart of Kazimierz' Plac Wolnica is truly fabulous.

Pros: vegan now available

Cons: no soya products, young staff

skippable - Edit

the food was so so, and the staff was too cool for school. it was almost like i was bothering them by being there, it was mid-day. the food wasn't bad, but i felt like it was something i could have easily whipped up, and was more expensive than the other vegan options in krakow.

Pros: nice location

Cons: staff, average food

Best place for Gluten Free in Krakow - Edit

Other places in Krakow that offer Gluten Free options are VERY expensive. Cafe Mlynek, however, is moderately priced and has sever V/GF options to choose from! This is a MUST ENJOY for GF Vegans travelling in Krakow! An all-vegetarian restaurant. I have been several times and have ordered: GF rice noodles with veggies, GF fried potato cakes with mushroom gravy (like American hash browns), and vegan cream of broccoli soup--all were delicious. MAKE SURE to mention to the server that you are Vegan or Gluten Free because some food is occasionally garnished with cheese even though the menu says it's vegan. Unfortunately no soya milk for coffees. This Cafe is opening a second location called "Green Times" down the street on July 5 2012. I imagine that this second location will be even MORE vegan and GF-friendly!

My favorite Veg-Friendly restaurant in Cracow - Edit

I go there as often as I can. I really love that they are open late!. They are open until 3 am or the last client. I love their Onion and Spanish soup! (They currently have 4 soups and they are all vegan upon request). I love their potato pancake, tofu sandwich, and rice with fried tofu.

Comparing the other restaurants in Cracow such as Momo or Green or Glonojad, then this is definitely the best one. The only downer is that its kinda pricey as for its portions and comparing to other restaurants.

Pros: great food, variety, location

Cons: price

quirky decor, great food - Edit

We had lunch here during a recent trip and loved the quirky interior with the selection of random antiques and knick knacks. The staff were friendly and spoke great English. This was one ofthe only veggie cafes in Krakow that served to the table as opposed to self service (not that that bothered us). The menu was good and what was better was that they could 'veganise' anything that had eggs or dairy in it. prices were really reasonable as we found with all the veggie places in krakow.

Pros: Excellent food, vegan options for most things on menu, great value

Superb - Edit

I discovered Cafe Mlynek online whilst first visiting Krakow and have never been disappointed since, after becoming a frequent visitor. It is without question the superior vegan and vegetarian restaurant in Krakow and ranks etremely highly with those across Europe, indeed I would say top 5 of all I have visited.

The atmosphere is special, the people a breath of fresh air, the staff consistent, the owner Elizabeth one of the most beautiful people I have ever met. The food, fresh and always of a high standard. The vegan and Ayverdic recipes a delight to taste.

Cafe Mlynek not only nourishes hunger but nourishes the soul. It is always a joy to visit.
Updated from previous review on Friday May 13, 2011

Pros: Excellent food, great value, delightful ambience

Worth enjoying - Edit

Great little restaurant with creative decor and fun ambiance. Wonderful pierogi, great soup, friendly service. Sit on the square and enjoy the experience.

They also have a rare non smoking room which are few and far between in Krakow. Caged birds serenade in the clean air.

Pros: Good food, Great ambiance, Clean and fresh

Cons: Few vegan choices

awesome - Edit

really excellent food. the pierogi is top class. though watch out for the spreads that come with the bread. the potato salad was out of this world...though it did have a slight "bacon" taste to it. ask the waiter if you're dead set on being completely veggie.

Pros: food, location, price

Cons: few veggie options

Creative environment, excellent food - Edit

Consistently very good food. We eat there weekly. The onion soup is fantastic. Delicious pierogis, good pasta with broccoli. Presentation is excellent, artistic and very nicely served. Local art exhibited always. Nice creative atmosphere. People are helpful and competent. It is a cafe bar, but they have added a whole new room which is non-smoking. In summer, they have an outdoor cafe.

Pros: delicious all vegetarian food, lovely presentation, consistently good, onstreet parking too

Cons: limited menu, need more dishes!, not much vegan options, smoking only in main room

Return to Krakow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Mlynek closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6744 times since Aug 2007.