CLOSED: Cafe Mandacaru

• Vegetarian

Contact 934414017

Magalhaes, 35, Barcelona, Spain, 08004

European-styled and Brazilian-inspired restaurant serving modern cuisine. Simply prepared dishes are cooked using regional ingredients. Live music some days. CONFIRMED CLOSED ON FACEBOOK, JULY 2016.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Fusion, Brazilian

First Review by SeanB

Uptight, Terrible choice for families - Edit

We visited the restaurant mandacaru for dinner on our first night in Barcelona. We were visiting with our young kids 3 year old and 6 month old. Initially we were pleased with our find because the restaurant is in a really residential neighbourhood of poble-sec. And vegetarian to boot. The owner and manager Christian was quite friendly at first, did not appear to have a problem with the family that just walked in. The food is a fusion of traditional Catalan flavours and is creative. We found it over salty but tolerable. But as the evening continued, the under current of uptightness made our whole experience bland. The owner approached us mid meal and announced that his customers like the restaurant because it is a quiet place so we should take the baby out or just leave. We were a shocked at his tone and manner for one. Secondly, our kids were very familiar with going to restaurants. So they are well mannered. The most my 3 year old did was bang his spoon on the table when we got in, and we promptly put the cutlery beyond his reach. He then took to watching the cooks through the little peep window into the kitchen. My 6 month old was being a happy chap and happily babbling away. This is what the other customers had a problem with. The clientèle seemed mixed local and english speaking tourists, who come here for the mild ambiance and occasional live music.

Since it was our first time in Barcelona, we just picked out this restaurant from happy cow as it was closest to where we were staying. What is most appalling in the experience was how rude the owner was in calling out my family. We would have happily picked another place for dinner if he had told us when we walked in with two babies and a stroller. Clearly the owner has never encountered kids at the dinner table. Our kids are quite well travelled and have good table manners. There was no crying or tantrums during dinner. He could have appeased us with just an apology his rudeness. But, his attitude towards families and young children was appalling. Can't, speak for the clientèle. I wasn't paying much attention to them. But they were young and likely didn't find happy baby babbles too relaxing. I respect that they wanted a quiet dinner, my complaint is solely with the owner and how he handled this. He just shrugged when he approached him about this. He didn't seem to care about our experience. Please avoid this place at all costs if you are going with children.

Pros: Decent food, good vegetarian choices

Cons: Terrible for families , Rude and inconsiderate owner

Tasty, off-the-beaten-track spot - Edit

This is a neat little place, tucked deep inside Poble Sec as others have mentioned. You really have to seek it out as there's little chance of just wandering up there by accident. Modern, stylish, and fun atmosphere with occasional live music. I'd have to say that the small, pricey portions aren't a very good value, but they have creative dishes and are open late. Definitely worth a try.

Pros: stylish, fun, non-touristy

Cons: pricey, limited vegan options

Poble Sec Legend - Edit

Cafe Mandacaru is nicely tucked away far enough from the prying eyes of tourists, which is probably the best way to keep it. We made an extra effort to find this amazing place in the gloriously local Poble Sec district of Barca. Even though we were the last people to call in at 23:00 we were made to feel totally welcome. Mandacaru impresses instantly with an ultra cool interior and plush environs. How can such a fabulous place exist. Is this reality? Yes it is and it is 100% vegetarian. To start we had delicious patatas bravas, made as vegan. Main courses tonight were an aubergine and tomato lasagne and a mushroom and noodle stir fry. That's what we chose but there were others. Basic I hear you say? Amazing is my answer. My only minor issue were the small portion sizes. This was washed down with a bottle of rose house wine. Sparkling water accompanied the wine. Mandacaru is a sensation. Mandacaru is there for taking. I can't believe this is only only the 2nd review on Happy Cow for this place. Come on, let's all go to Cafe Mandacaru.

Pros: Great location, Excellent menu, friendly staff

Cons: small portion sizes

A beautiful evening - Edit

After a week in Barcelona making do with poor to mediocre tapas bars we came across this gem through HappyCow, just along the road from where we are staying. We were lucky enough to chance on a night when there was live music too, which created a beautiful backdrop to a lovely meal, and fantastic service. Could not have asked for more.

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe Mandacaru closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2925 times since Nov 2013.