Cafe Loop

0447220565

3-70-4-102 Kosugimachi, Nakahara, Kawasaki, Japan, 211-0063

Small place at 神奈川県川崎市中原区小杉町3-70-4-102 with only 6 tables, so book ahead, especially during the crowded cherry blossom viewing season. Offers a vegan menu plus a small selection of organic dry goods for sale. Est. 2012 as all-vegan cafe on Nikaryo aqueduct (二ヶ領用水). Note: In Japan kitchens often stop serving 30-60 minutes before closing time. Call ahead to confirm. Open Wed-Fri 11:30am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-5:30pm.

Categories: Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Beer/Wine

First Review by VeganDietGuy

Vegan Oasis in Kawasaki - Edit

I couldn't find anywhere around Musashikosugi Station on Happy Cow and was getting ready to make due with eating lunch at a non-vegan establishment, but my Japanese friend (who is non-vegan) miraculously discovered this place!
She even called ahead to make a reservation as their website requested, because it is so small.
It was a bit hard to find. I asked for directions a couple times along the way, and GPS would probably come in handy.
Everything on the menu is vegan, mostly organic and macrobiotic, as well. I had the Thai green curry with takenoko (fresh bamboo shoots) and my friend had a platter with a variety of small items including an onigiri (rice ball) marinated vegetables, tofu, bread, soy "meat", and a bowl of soup.
I enjoyed the green curry and brown rice, but I thought it was a bit expensive (1000 yen) considering it didn't have any vegetables other than bamboo shoots (they are indeed quite costly at the supermarket, so that must explain it). My friend's lunch set was a little less (900 yen, I believe) and she even shared it with me because she felt sorry for my small portion of green curry.
I enjoyed a tofu cheesecake for dessert with a cup of my favorite Inka (barley "coffee") and my friend ordered a raspberry muffin and organic coffee. Desserts were very reasonably priced (around 300 yen), and delicious!
We sat for a long time and enjoyed the intimate atmosphere, until it started to fill up with other cherry blossom viewers.
I would definitely return to Cafe Loop if I'm in the neighborhood. They also have a limited selection of popular organic packaged goods and other kinds of organic products according to their website.
I hope Happy Cow readers give them lots of business, because this rapidly developing area is pretty barren of vegan restaurants.

Pros: Organic and macrobiotic menu, Reasonable prices, Good location

Cons: Some dishes are small

Return to Kawasaki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Loop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.