Cafe Libre

098-7091302

Calle Larga 5-14, Mariano Cueva (at Calle Larga), Cuenca, Ecuador

A plant-based food cafe/restaurant reported to be all-vegan, but appears to possibly have vegetarian food (please send HappyCow an update if you know the status). Conscious gastronomic experience. Accepts reservations. Open Mon-Sat 8:00am-4:00pm, 7:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, International, Macrobiotic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by Giselle88

Super tasty sandwiches!! - Edit

We had lunch here and is was really delicious!!!
Rich and flavoursome, with several components to the dish - sandwiches with tasty filling, great crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside chips, and good salad full of flavour. There were also a good mix of salsas to accompany. The vegan mayonnaise was an unexpected surprise, although the passion fruit salsa was probably my favourite!
They also have almond milk, so I had a nicely spiced chai latte!
Not the cheapest of places (approx $7 for large sandwich with fries), but worth the money for extremely tasty food in good sized portions.

Pros: Good selection, Extremely tasty

Cons: Not very cheap for the area

Exquisite food, beautifully presented - a bit pricy - Edit

Café Libre is definitely one of the must-go vegan restaurants in Cuenca when you are looking for a treat to pamper your taste buds. My boyfriend and I shared the Raw Lasagna, the Ramen and the Oriental Buddha Bowl with whole grain rice and curry (which was unnecessary cause it did not add to the dish). They were served with a complementary small salad and roasted bread as well as small bruschettas and orange-infused water. All dishes were very thoughtfully assembled with lots of whole foods and are fully recommended. However, some food was a bit salty for my taste.
We asked about the Quinotto, which is listed with optional parmesan (not vegan cheese), and the owner informed us that they are soon offering a homemade, vegan parmesan with that dish.
The desserts (3 different cakes, mostly raw, each around 8 USD) sounded delicious but we were rather full.
We absolutely recommend this place and would go again for a special treat next time we are visiting Cuenca.

Pros: Very tasty, healthy and thoughtfully assembled, Very friendly and knowlegdeable staff , Good variety

Cons: Rather expensive, Some dishes were a bit salty

Just lovely - Edit

Delicious food, beautiful space and delightful staff. Will be back for sure.

Cute and tasty - Edit

Tiny little restaurant with only 4 tables. It's not entirely vegan but lots of vegan options and non vegan items had vegan alternatives. I had the fungi burger and a fresh mango juice, very tasty and well presented.

Return to Cuenca Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Libre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.