Cafe Lalibela

Contact 480-829-1939

849 W University Dr, Tempe, Arizona, USA, 85281

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian cuisine. Offers some vegetarian selection all of which are supposed to vegan suitable. Try the vegetarian exclusive (enough for 2-3 people).

Category: Beer/Wine, Take-out, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by PH0ENIX

yummy!! I'm so glad we went! - Edit

This place is a great find. More than half of the menu is suitable for vegans, the food is super tasty, and the employees are very nice and helpful. I recommend the yellow split pea (:

Pros: very tasty food, nice employees, great vegan options

Delicious Ethiopian Cuisine - Edit

We've eaten here many times and they never disappoint. The food is always hot, fresh, and bursting with that infamous spiced-up flavor. I always get the veggie combo, which includes a string bean dish, cabbage & potato dish, collard greens, and spicy red lentils (my absolute favorite!), all for about $13. I usually have lefttovers, when I'm not being greedy. If you'd just like to try 1 thing, a veggie dish goes for about $5 individually.

If you have a group of veg*n diners, try the Veg Exclusive. It covers samplings of all their veggie dishes for about $36 (split it with friends and ease your pockets); there's no way 1 person could (or should) eat the exclusive by themselves. At least not in one sitting. It's a LOT of food.

The owner is very nice. Always greets everyone with a smiling face.

It's in a strip mall, so there is no issue with parking.

Nice place for family dining, date night, or grabbing a bite with friends.

Pros: Delicious, authentic Ethiopian food, Friendly service, Inexpensive & large portions

Great food - Edit

I got the Vegetable Combination and it was fantastic. Including the injera bread, which is great, there is more than enough food and at a very reasonable price. Overall everything was delicious.

Pros: Large serving size, Excellent food

Cons: Not all vegetarian

This is why Ethiopian food rocks. - Edit

As long as you enjoy flavor, you'll enjoy Lalibela's. We ordered the vegetarian platter, which comfortably fed four of us (and allowed for some mindless stew-stained injera noshing afterward). Favorites included the Misir Wat (spicy red lentil stew), Shiro Wat (a garlic-y, onion-y pea mash stew), and Yekik Alicha (yellow split peas with onions and tumeric).

Of course, scooting injera from stew to stew, scooping up everything at once also seemed to be a pretty successful maneuver, even though it mixed the individual stew flavors. Everyone else really liked when I did that (not really). Do I regret it? No.

I do have one regret though, which I shall reconcile upon my next visit, and that is that I did not leave Lalibela wearing a cloak made entirely from injera. But hey, that's why there's next time.

Pros: Flavorful, Fun & Communal, Has Something for Everyone

Cons: Tad Pricey, Easy to Overdo it

YES - Edit

I love this place. I just tried the other Ethiopian restaurant in the Valley, and was disappointed, and my gratitude for Cafe Lalibela multiplied. The food here is fresh and authentic, and the staff are really nice. I'm so lucky to live down the street! Tons of vegan options, too.

Pros: Fresh, Lots vegan, Nice staff

Cons: Gets busy

College and Pregnancy Staple! - Edit

Doubt I would have survived pregnancy without Cafe Lalibela! It's always delicious! Every menu item is perfection. The shorba itself would be worth the trip from Pittsburgh back to Phoenix! Yum!

Pros: Delicious and Authentic, Lots of Veggie Options, Very Friendly Staff

Tasty Food - Edit

I visited here once and found most of the food really delicious, although I did get a little indigestion. That's just my sensitive stomach, though. I would go there again if only my friends liked Ethiopian food!

Pros: reasonable prices, tasty food, generous portions

Okay, but Bile Nile is better - Edit

I ate here in March. I found the food here to be greasy and not as tasty as the food at Blue Nile. Considering the fact that Blue Nile is just up the street you really should go there instead if you are in Phoenix and looking for vegan ethopian food. Our server were nice though they forgot/never brought me the coffee I ordered. Then again we were a table of 13.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: not as good as Blue Nile, food seemed greasy

This is the reason I am addicted to Ethiopian food - Edit

Great food and value. I chose the option to select 3 vegetarian items and it was way too much food. I did my best to eat every last bite. The lentils - my friend had the cold ones - I had the hot, collard greens and cabbage were all excellent. It was only $15 for both my friend and I to eat. You can also sign up for their mailing list and you will receive a coupon for your birthday.
I can't wait to go back but its very far from my house.

Pros: Great prices, Terrific food, service is great too

Cons: too far from me :(

Good Ethiopian food - Edit

I really liked Cafe Lalibela. It's clean, and service was great. The food was delicious. Definitely a place where you can take anyone. A good alternative to Tina's Ethiopian in Chandler.

Pros: Clean, Good service, Tasty food

Return to Tempe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Lalibela closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3129 times since Aug 2007.