First Review by joseykitson

Great breakfast - Edit

This is a very nice cafe, especially in the summer when you can sit outside. When I am in Hamburg, I usually go there for breakfast at least once and have never been disappointed.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, nice vibe

nice sitting area outside - Edit

An organic cafe with some vegan options. better for cakes and coffee than for a real meal.
the area outside is pretty nice - perfect for the summer time.

Pros: outside

Cons: not so many vegan options, food could be better...

Chill out in Hamburg - Edit

I was in Hamburg for a few days in January 2012, and I am really glad that Happy Cow put me on to this place. It is full of character and eccentricity, in a good way. It is in the House of Arts and Crafts (entrance off Lange Reihe: the Koppel entrance is closed, at least in the evenings) and sometimes there will be some artistic creation going on in the building's main hallway, watchable through the large internal windows. The ambience is quiet, with some relaxing background jazz or suchlike, the food pleasantly homely. I especially recommend the Pinkus Hefe (English style -flat- beer). I went in each evening about 8pm and it was moderately busy. Even so the service was very prompt and attentive -- although, I think they don't want to hurry you, so if you don't look as if you want any service, it won't be pressed on you. I'm guessing there was some misunderstanding along these lines with those reviewers who found the service slow. And to this Londoner, the prices were astonishingly reasonable.

Pros: Good homely food, Nice beer, Interesting location

Nice laid back feel, food ok - Edit

The food was ok without being great. Staff were very friendly, and the outside seating was lovely on a sunny afternoon.

I would go back, but I would not go out of my way. A little pricey for what it was.

Pros: Good staff, Outside space

Cons: not great value

Substance over Style - Edit

We went here on the wonderful Easter Sunday of 2011, April 24. It was 9:30pm and the place was empty but they still served food until 10pm and closed at 11pm. It was no problem at all and the atmosphere was still cosy and inviting. Cafe Kopppel is on 2 levels, the 2nd level being a wooden mezzanine type arrangement which would have been amazing had it been busier. They do most of the their trade during the day and early evening. This was apparent when walking past at lunchtime to see the place absolutely brimming with people and about 6pm when it was full of workers who had finished for the day. The vegan stew was delicious and served with succulent rye bread. This was washed down with a generous glass of red wine and the famous Pinkus beer from Munster. Other customers came in as we ate and ordered food and drink. Really friendly staff, hearty food, good drink selection, wonderful layout and very homely. The vegan choice is limited but they can always adapt on request.

Pros: layout, staff, open late for food

Cons: vegan choice

Good food - but slow service - Edit

The place is lovely and the food is excellent, especially the bread, vegetable choices and salads (very few vegan options though :/) ... If you're just looking for a quick snack or a short break while having some food, this is not the place to go. We even had to wait almost 20 minutes for our drinks. I appreciate the food is being prepared freshly, but how can preparing a salad take 45 minutes? If you want to stop here, bring some time ...

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: Very few vegan options, Slow service

Nice place - Edit

Situated in an art centre type place. They serve salads and soups mostly, with a nice stew. Great ice creams sundaes.

Not cheap. Open late but the terrace shuts at 7pm. Friendly staff who gave us some tips for where to go after we had finished.

Busy, friendly, expensive - Edit

Quite tricky to find - it's down a passageway in some sort of arts centre. I went on a Sunday afternoon and it was incredibly busy - it's on at least two floors (there's a basement too) with an undercover-outside section also, and no tables were free. Situated in the heart of Hamburg's gay district, but a very diverse clientele - none you'd think of as either gay or vegetarian by looking at them (I'm both but look like neither either). Service was exceptionally slow, but maybe that's because they were so busy - all staff were friendly and spoke excellent English. Open daily 10am to 11pm.

I guess I might have chosen the "wrong" thing - a typically German breakfast plate of breads, cheeses, salad and so on - to be honest I could have got this in any German cafe and it would have been at least as good. The breads looked like excellent German breads but were dry like yesterday's. The homemade Nutella and jam were both exceptional. The portions were adequate, but at €10 with coffee and a bonsai orange juice it was far from cheap. There were other menu options like soups, stews and salads - I'll give it another try someday to see what all the fuss is about - it can't be that ludicrously busy for nothing. And I do have a slab of exceptional-looking torte upstairs to devour too - maybe that's why they keep coming back. Here's hoping :)

Pros: friendly, long hours, good location

Cons: expensive, bland, slow

Decent food - Edit

This cafe is in the gay district of hamburg near the Aussenalster. Very health selection of food - smallish portions and mostly vegetarian. A lot of the dishes couldn't really be made vegan as cheese, sour cream or cream were major ingredients. The garden patio is very nice as well as the main cafe area. The building is very interesting - translated it is a house for art and design. For those who speak english - there is an english menu but take a look at the daily specials as well.

Return to Hamburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Koppel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4238 times since Dec 2008.