Cafe Juicy Lotus

Contact 514-508-6268

5568 Monkland (at Old Orchard), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H4A1C9

Veggie cafe and deli, formerly Cafe Lotus-Sante Vous Bien. The deli case displays each day's prepared dishes, and you choose what you'd like. Also offers vegan cooking classes. Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-6:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Western, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Lissabath

Great burgers and pies - Edit

I went there once and had a very good experience. I took a vegan burger that was really good (among the best I've had in Montréal), a salad and an apple pie to take away. Everything was really tasty. I'll be happy come back again. It would have been great to be at the city center!

Pros: great burgers, vegan options, friendly staff

Cons: not central, small

Not for me thanks... - Edit

Don't see what the fuss is about here. We tried several salads and dishes and nothing was particularly good. My bean and rice burrito was one of the worst vegan dishes I've ever eaten. It was, effectively, beans and rice - unseasoned - in a wrap. Didn't even finish it. Salads were mildly better but hardly worth the trip.

Absolutely sensational!!!!!! - Edit

Besides having the best veggie burger I've ever tasted in Montreal, this cafe has the most flavourful hot sauce on the island to boot. I love everything at this cafe, I've been back several times and every time I leave licking my lips, enjoying the unique tastes left tingling on my tongue. The food is made with love and served with a beaming smile by owner/cook extraordinaire Jessica Watters.
Also, Montreal Canadiens enforcer George Laraque has eaten there, if it's good enough to fuel professional athletes, it's good enough for me!

Pros: everything!!

Cons: there is only one!

Overpriced - that is if you can find prices - Edit

Don't you just hate going to a restaurant or store where there are absolutely no prices? Especially as most homemade items are ridiculously overpriced and lack ingredient list and nutritional information on the packaging. However, price is of no consequence if the food is really amazing which it is not. So, overpriced and average. Too bad this area of the city could do with a really cool vegan and vegetarian venue.

Cool, worth checking out, not amazing - Edit

We just went here for lunch. My companion had "the best veggie burger in montreal" and received an ok, dry, lentil based burger. I had a lentil-loaf which seemed to be the same stuff as the burger but mine was coated in a delicious spicy tomato sauce. Of the two of us, I definitely lucked out.

Now check it out, they have five or six great looking salads and when you get a meal, you get a salad on the side. *But you don't get to choose it!* That's right, we asked for a specific one and they just chose another for us. When we asked why, they said "oh, normally you just get a random salad". I guess that is fine but I really felt like veggies and not like boiled kamut. My friend got beet salad which is great, but some people don't like it. I don't know, do they give you the cheapest ones? It just seems weird.

I don't know where the "outdoor seating" was, I didn't see any but we had a nice little table inside. I would have tried out some of the drinks they have in the big cooler or one of the delicious looking desserts but they had no prices on them and there was no indication if they were vegan or not. I wasn't hungry enough to hassle with asking prices and ingredients for everything.

Overall, I think it's a cool little place, the lentil loaf was great and some of the salads look good - too bad I couldn't try any of those, guess you have to be lucky. I would skip on the veggie burger unless you like yours dry and virtually toppingless.

They should really price and label their things, and allow their customers to choose their food.

Pros: Neat, Lentil Loaf

Cons: Can't choose salad

Delicious food for eat-in or take-away! - Edit

This cafe has "Sante Vous Bien" on the sign, so be sure you don't miss it.

The veggie burger sandwiches are delicious, with roasted red pepper tahini (homemade) and the best fresh veggie burgers ever.
The salads are always great, and change daily. The raw veggie salad, risotto tabouleh and ginger tofu are my faves. I hear the owner is going to start baking healthy treats soon as well...I look forward to the muffins and cookies...oh my!

The people there are very friendly, and you're definitely welcome to eat in, although there are only a couple of small tables. I had a carrot apple juice as well, which was really refreshing and a very sizeable portion for the cost.

Take the trip to Monkland village, as it's worth it!

Pros: great food

Cons: cafe sized, so no huge dining area

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Juicy Lotus closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4109 times since Feb 2008.