Cafe Happy

• Vegetarian
Contact 425-822-9696

102 Kirkland Ave, Kirkland, Washington, USA, 98033

Unassuming shop in downtown serving noodles, tofu, and soy dishes, soups, steamed buns, stir-frys, some sandwiches, plus tapioca pearl tea and ice cream. Many dishes contain Chinese meat-substitutes.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by RJane

LOVE this place! - Edit

I'm from out of town and often stay down the block from Cafe Happy and always come here for dinner. I love it! The food is soooo good, the staff is super friendly (and great sales people too, I bought so much food and loved every bite) and pretty much everything is vegan but they do put eggs in a few things and milk in some bubble teas, so make sure you let them know you're vegan. They know exactly what vegan is and are more than happy to help suggest items or make your dish vegan friendly!
I can't wait to go back tomorrow night!

Pros: knows what vegan is, friendly staff, great food

LOVE this place! - Edit

Cafe Happy is a fifteen minute walk from my home which is awesome because parking in that part of Kirkland is tough! It's a tiny little restaurant ran by an older Asian couple who speak limited English. The first entree I ordered was Mo Pah, an Asian version of Hamburger Helper with tofu and fake ground meat. I know this does not sound appetizing, but for us Asian kids who grew up with this meal as a staple, it's the bomb! I liked the meal so much, it's the only thing I eat when I visit Cafe Happy, and I've been there so many times, I've lost count. They also make bubble tea with soy milk (or dairy milk if you want that), but I didn't care much for it. The soy milk curdles quickly. I switched to the many fresh made juice combinations they offer. One is with spinach, carrots, and oranges. It's my favorite drink. Each juice is made to order, squeezed on the spot, so be patient because it takes them several minutes to make each one. The space is very small. There are six bar style stools, three along the window, and three along one wall. There is also one large round table that can hold five or six people. A few two person outdoor seats are available on nice days. This is a no frills place to dine. If you're looking for fancy silverware, linens, or waiters with tailcoats, you're not going to find it here. What you will discover is really good food for a very affordable price. You can also take satisfaction in knowing you're helping a charming old Asian couple's small business continue to be successful.

Pros: great food, great price, fresh made juice combos

Cons: no parking, very tiny

Excellent family fare, good boba drinks - Edit

Great for take-out; tasty food and terrific selection. No real seating to speak of, and parking? What parking? I was thrilled to be able to get such good food while traveling in the Seattle area, but I wish the rent wasn't so high so they could get more space.

Pros: Fantastic food, Excellent service., Friendly service.

Cons: Almost no seating, No parking

quaint mom & pop - Edit

Cafe Happy is in the bustling chic downtown of Kirkland. It is very small. There is only one table, plus 2 counters. The kitchen is in view and they have very limited space. The food came out quickly however. They have pictures on the wall of the meals. Be sure to take a look at them, if the plate is without veggies and only a seitan, that's how it will be. You can add veggies for a few bucks.

The sweet and sour wasn't too sweet or sour. The Hot & Sour was just ok, nothing I would order again.

I would be inclined to try some of the sandwiches. The only dairy here is if you add cheese to something (& ice cream, which they are out of til spring or summer anyway).

It is very basic food. Good for if you are in the area and in need of hot food cooked by very nice people. It was ok, I would go again. Perhaps I need to find a more prolific option.

I will update after another visit, but I won't make it a must-go destination. I could do most things at home it seemed. They are super nice folks though, so if you are in the area stop by for something warm to eat.

Pros: mom & pop shop, mostly vegan

Cons: not super flavorful

Tiny, tasty, and honest - Edit

I've been to Cafe Happy 3-4 times and I generally really enjoy the food. It's pretty cheap (around $7 for a meal), and there are a lot of vegan options.
The place is very, very small, and it's a little uncomfortable, but the owners are nice and helpful. Language barriers are difficult, but communication gets done, eventually.
I usually order noodles with veggies, because I'm not a huge faux meat fan. The one time I ordered tofu, it was not very fresh, and hadn't been seasoned really, at all.
People seem to come in mainly for bubble tea.

Pros: Inexpensive, Many vegan choices, Yummy

Cons: Tiny space, parking is difficult, bad tofu

Return to Kirkland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Happy closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3846 times since Aug 2007.