Cafe Hangmattan

Contact 031428820

Karljohans gatan 16, Gothenburg, Sweden,

Re-opened early-2015 after move from Sodermannagatan 10, this is a vegetarian cafe with a strong Brazilian flair. Offers a large lunch buffet. Makes smoothies and shakes. Lively atmosphere, cultural happenings in the evening. Mon-Tue 11:30am-8:00pm, Wed-Thu 11:30am-10:00pm, Fri 11:30am-5:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-5:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Brazilian

First Review by maryeng1

Superb Lunch Place - 5/5 stars - Edit

My Opinion:
Though I work far from the City, When given a chance, i do not miss on landing at Cafe Hangmattan on weekdays, merely of its Wide-ranged delicious Buffet food.. truly a delight....

Mix of both Warm and cold dishes, hot soup and bread.... all are fantastic......

Important to note: Keep 2 hours blocked to have lunch here.. because you will like to fill yourself with one dish after another....

Must-taste Item: Falafel, Lasagne, Chickpeas, rather all :)

Cost: 90-100 SEK/For Lunch Buffet (Mon-Friday) - Reasonably priced for the big sortiment

Highlight: Being a restaurant in a Music House, some of the days, there could be live events ongoing. I like that...

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-03

Pros: Wide-range of excellent food, Friendly staff (EN/SE), Musical place, few days could be event days

Cons: Bit Old-school, but I love it...

Best Buffet Ever - Edit

I usually only eat a buffets because I eat so much food. So I've been to a lot of them. This is by far the best place I've ever eaten at. From the quality of the fresh vegetables to the homemade falafel and hummus everything tastes absolutely amazing. The personal is nice and the cafe is really pleasant to dine at. Definitely worth coming to Gothenburg just to try this place. I hope they keep the same quality next time I come because I'm looking forward to it.

Pros: quality , buffet, pleasant

Good vibes and good food - Edit

I went to Cafe Hangmattan last summer whilst visiting Stockholm and wandering around the area.

Really liked the atmosphere of the place; alternative, relaxed, inviting. Unfortunately, they were all out of the main dishes and only had salads/sandwiches left, so I went with the owner's suggestion and it certainly didn't disappoint. Hearty portion size and really healthy and filling. The smoothie I had was awesome and the crumble for desert was heavenly. Big thumbs up.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Great food, Friendly owner

Cons: They were all out of main dishes..., ...but my fault for arriving a bit late

Great Place! - Edit

My husband & I ordered take-away lunch here last week during a visit to Stockholm. The owner was super nice & spoke English pretty well, although we weren't entirely sure what we were getting after his explanation. We knew it would be vegan though & didn't worry about it too much. We were not disappointed in the least! We had a salad & an open-faced sandwich. Fresh, flavorful, & filling. The presentation of the food was nice too, even jn the take-out containers. We would definitely return.

Pros: Delicious & filling , Good prices, Nice staff

Cons: More of a lunch type atmosphere

great alternative place - Edit

I visit often there. A place has Brazilian roots, but not only South Americans visit this place, as it is open to every kind of initiative, so that now and then you can see some alternative band playing there, a meeting for some NGO or a lecture being held, etc. - this attracts activists and alternative folks, and all in all this place gets really good vibes, despite being so small and simple in their interior design.
The food is simple and good, often great vegan options on menu.

Pros: very liberate and alternative, great vegan options, location

Cons: small

Funky little place - Edit

My BF and I were walking around SoFo and decided to try out this cafe for some grub. We ordered a salad and a sandwich that also came with a side salad, both of which turned out to be HUGE. Two soft drinks were included in the price. All for SEK115 only. Water was free as always, but there was also a homemade, cold (what I think was) elderflower blossom tea to boot. The owner is a very kind man that puts a lot of heart in this place. I also liked the laidback atmosphere and the eclectic decor. Perfect for a lazy afternoon.

Pros: tasty food, good value, very nice owner

amazing vegan cobbler - Edit

very amazing books coffee music cobbler art niceness super nice people, super delicious

very oldschool noncorporate artistic feel, with love, very happy, cant wait to return

Pros: wonderful

Return to Gothenburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Hangmattan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4772 times since Jan 2011.