Cafe Gratitude - Venice

424-231-8000

512 Rose Ave, Venice, California, USA, 90291

Almost all the food is vegan, with the exception of a few desserts that contain honey (ask which ones). Part of the the Cafe Gratitude brand originating from San Francisco - its second Los Angeles location. Menu features both raw food as well as cooked meals, vegan desserts and raw pies. Trendy, beach vibe and busy at mealtime. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by gr8vegan

Good Food - Edit

These guys have been around for years in the healthy world.
Def a hang out place in the city!

Decent vegan food in Venice - Edit

Food is good and the smoothies are very tasty. I really like their bowls and salads.

perfection - Edit

hands down the best tasting vegan food that I have ever had. Staff is very kind and friendly. 10/10 would recommend.

Pros: friendly staff, amazing food, nice atmosphere

Cons: costly

try the vegan milk shake - Edit

Every time I go to LA I can't help to stop at this place to get a vegan milk shake! Please try it!

Cheesy menu but solid food - Edit

We'd had two mediocre experiences here in the past, so when my husband suggested we go, both of us were still a bit on the fence. We made a reservation for half hour away (easy to get), and walked over just a few minutes before. We were pleasantly greeted and had an attentive server for the evening. I'll say, we're both very into vegan food and trying new foods/restaurants, but it is a bit much with some of the names of the dishes here "I am abundant, I am celebrating" etc. as names of dishes - it gets a bit hokey! However, our food was fantastic this time!

We started with the "I am dynamic" aka yam cauliflower samosa chaat. We sometimes doubt ordering Indian food outside of an Indian restaurants, but the mix of flavor sounded really good on this. Also, it's rare I have a samosa since I don't eat fried, and this one was baked! This was easily our favorite part of the meal. Very generously-sized whole wheat samosa (two of them) stuffed with yam and cauliflower, kale, tomato and garam masala topped with (the best part) coconut mint chutney and tomato jam. It was all sitting in a small pool of chana masala. The flavors were vibrant, and each one truly better than the next. The mint chutney was a fabulous bright green. We were literally soaking every last drop of this up.

The next two dishes came out simultaneously and were specials. One was a warm salad of brussel sprout leaves, spinach, coconut bacon, avocado, tomato and a few other goodies. There was a more subtle version of a vegan ranch that coated the salad well too. It almost reminded me a vegan avocado BLT in salad form, it was really tasty. The coconut bacon was crisp and didn't try to be bacon, instead it nicely maintained its coconut flavor. We also split the Hawaiian pizza (cooked version), which was also full of toppings. It included a nut cheese, the coconut bacon, pineapple and more. The crust was crunchy and satisfying, and all of the flavors were nicely melted together.

We finished with a key lime pie "awakening". This is never my favorite dessert anywhere, but the mix of flavors looked neat (creamy avocado and lime custard - as you'd imagine, not too sweet; coconut meringue - creamy and dessert-like, but, again, missing some sugar; pecan macadamia date crust - strong nutty flavor but the best part of the pie). I'm all about healthier desserts, but this just wasn't awesome. We have had the brownie sundae here before and would likely stick with that again instead of branching out.

Amazing place! - Edit

All organic so you don't have to worry about gmo soy or wheat. Awesome menu!

Pros: delicious and nutritional

Cons: fair prices but not cheap

Amazing! - Edit

Extensive vegan menu with many gluten free/soy free options. Hard to pick just one thing to eat bc u want to eat it all.

On this visit we ordered the Indian curry and the raw pizza along with delicious smoothies and some raw cheesecake to finish. Everything was amazing! From the food to the service. Our waitress was wonderful and very accommodating and the kitchen staff are super talented!

Pros: Wonderful food and service

Cons: Too expensive to be my daily go to restaurant

awesome dining experience - Edit

This is just an awesome LA-area dining experience. The food was really creative and the environment was fancy and fun. I was with a group of vegans and non-veg people, end everyone really enjoyed the food. We ordered a bunch of different stuff, highlights were the autumn bruschetta, eggplant parm panini, and sweet potato wedges with cashew dipping sauce. The mint shake was delicious for dessert. It's kind of pricey but what I would expect for LA dining. I would definitely recommend!

Pros: cool atmosphere , large, original menu

Cons: a little pricey

great food - Edit

Was here for breakfast. Friendly people. Tasty food. The portions were huge

Pros: tasty

Cons: maybe a little pricy

Lovely Menu - Edit

The menu has a lot to choose from and everything looks good. Selections of squeezed juice and smoothies and elixirs. But very expensive. Portions were smaller than I expected. Highlight was seeing actor Ian Somerhalder get seated not 15 feet away. So handsome and quite a distraction.

Pros: Extensive menu, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Expensive , Small portions

I like this place - Edit

I've been to Cafe Gratitude a few times now. I had corn tacos for lunch and they were delicious. The vegan mocha cheesecake for dessert was also good. I asked the server and he told me none of the desserts had honey.

Top Raw Food restaurant - Edit

Outstanding place!

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff

Wonderful Dining Experience - Edit

Cafe Gratitude is a wonderful dining experience. The menu has an extensive selection of dishes - lots of healthy options. The 'I am Whole' macrobiotic bowl was the standout for our table, and the 'I am Cool' smoothie is amazing! The 'I am Awesome' eggplant panini was also delicious. I wish CG would come to Australia - I would love to work my way through the whole menu!

Pros: Extensive menu, Delicious, healthy food, Nice vibe/atmosphere

Cons: Honey in some desserts

excellent food - Edit

Went for dinner and then breakfast the following morning. Good menu and good selection. Location and current menus are online. Will definitely go back next time we are in town.

one of my favorite places!! - Edit

I love this place and come here often.

Great, fresh plant-based food - Edit

We stopped for lunch at this place. The food was delicious. We had a quesadilla, a crepe and a mexican bowl. All were fresh and tasty. The only thing we didn't really like was the over the top LA-vibe. When you order, they respond with an affirmation using the name of the dish. For example, "I'd like the quesadilla" was followed by "You are Generous," which was also repeated when they served the food. Still, it's delicious and worth going if you don't mind feeling like you're visiting a shrink or attending an AA meeting while you eat.

Pros: Delicious, Fresh

Cons: Gimmicky

Honey I ruined the restaurant. - Edit

A great place with a vibrant atmosphere, smart decor, broad range of menu selections and very yummy food. Suitable for both a quick stop or an evening out.

Everything we ordered presented well and tasted fantastic. I generally dislike raw desserts but the raw lime pie I tried here was great too.

This is a place I'd be happy to take anyone to showcase good vegan fare.

The honey is a downer - WTF? Fix that and it'd be pretty much perfect. I so wanna give you 5 stars but can't.

Pros: Great range, Great taste, Smart setting

Cons: Not vegan

Amazing, delicious and healthy - Edit

This place is for everyone, Vegans and Non-Vegans. The food here is absolutely amazing, I highly recommend this place to anyone.

They don't use microwaves or canned food in their dishes, everything is fresh and support local farming. It gets quite busy at lunch and dinner, make sure to call in ahead if it's a party of two or more.

Make sure to leave room for dessert!

Pros: Healthy, Organic

Cons: Service sometimes fails

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Gratitude - Venice closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.