Cafe Gratitude

• Vegetarian
Contact 831-427-9583

103 Lincoln St (at Pacific Ave), Santa Cruz, California, USA, 95060

Part of a collection of restaurants specializing in vegan raw and cooked cuisines. Uses produce from the owners' farm. Everything is vegan except for honey by request.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Raw, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by KamrynWilliams

Very delicious food - Edit

I haven't done any background research about the restaurant or the owners, as others here did, but the food is really yummy and delicious. The service was also super nice.

The owners are religious and ill in the head! - Edit

Their food is ok but just ok, and overpriced. And the owners are religious and not vegan. They slaughter cows they "own". Someone posted on their page recently "the cow's sacrifice has been ordained" uhhhhh creepy! and they're religious! they think it's "god's plan for us to eat animals" So sick ! they're sick in the head! and they're pretty old too! maybe older generations are a lost cause! but this people are sick! and they own "cafe gratitude" too. creepy folks!

BOYCOTT these shameful animal killing hypocrites! - Edit

These hypocrites are not vegan, please boycott their business, use your money to support real vegans not crazy cult members that kill animals.Here's how they how they use God and pseudo-science to justify killing:Perhaps I’ve e failed to explain adequately why I would pursue the path of eating flesh after 40 years of vegetarianism. The answer is non-violence but non-violence to the whole system, all species. Agriculture is most violent destructive force on the planet. It has caused the extinction of more species then any other activity. Earth balance margarine is made from Canadian canola. Organic or not this product required a plow to destroy Canadian prairie an act of violence against burrowing owls, ferrets, prairie dogs, dozens of insect and bird species. If that prairie had been maintained in grassland with well managed cows or buffalo those species would not be killed or displaced.30% of the world’s surface is grasslands, Grasslands need herds of ruminants to thrive, when they are removed, the grasslands degenerate into desert. Desertification is violence against all species including humans. The conflict in Syria and Iraq can be easily tied to desertification, mismanaged soil. Herding ruminants are our best tool to restore fertility to the earth, keep the earth covered, and reverse desertification and climate change. If I knew of a better or even another solution, I would choose it. We need cows to keep the earth alive, cows make an extreme sacrifice for humanity but that is their position in God’s plan as food for the predators. Cows maintain the grass, predators maintain the herd by culling the weak and sick. We can be part of that sacrament. Sacrifice is part of life. As in the passion of Christ, we all have to spill our blood for humanity to know the Father. The cow’s sacrifice was been ordained, ours we must...

Cons: Hypocrites, Use your money to kill animals, Crazy cult that blames God for their sin

great and original vegan food - Edit

Food and drinks were all very original and very tasty. Read someone's review about small portions; well let's just say I would't want to be (in) his/her shoes... Portions were big enough varying to huge... Loved it! Drinks were on the expensive side though. Would definitely recommend.

Not worth the money, but its gluten free vegan - Edit

I would never come here if I wasn't a gluten free vegan. The prices are outrageous and each time I end up spending enough money for two people and if I eat with someone? Its always over $40, yes $20 per person to eat here. And I don't even get a drink haha. Amazing tasting food, great atmosphere and friendly staff. I would recommend going here only if you can afford it as I have never left feeling full (this goes for others I have gone with or spoken with). I feel like I always regret coming here when I randomly do (because of the money and small portions)

Pros: great tasting food , yummy deserts!!, friendly staff/manager

Cons: PRICES OUTRAGEOUS, SMALL PORTIONS, feel like I'm getting robbed

Delicious vegan food, nice staff - Edit

We ate here as a family last summer before our move out of state. The food was incredible. My husband had the BLT sandwich,I had the taco plate, which they very nicely changed to accommodate my inability for spicy foods, and my son had the pad thai.Everyone raved about what they had ordered.My tacos were incredible,fresh, zesty and really delicious.We tried the ginger lemonade which was terrific and very surprising. The desserts were heavenly. Husband got the strawberry cake, son got the key lime pie and I got the apricot torte. They were all outstanding. Prices are a bit stiff, but I have yet to meet good vegan food that wasn't expensive. Don't mind spending the money as cooking vegan has given me a new appreciation for the incredible amount of time spent producing this labor intensive food.Highly recommend this restaurant and the sister one in San Francisco, Gracias Madre.

Pros: Food was delicious, Staff was friendly and helpful, Atmosphere was calming

Cons: Portions could have been larger

good - Edit

I stopped here for a few mins to pick up a smoothie and desert, Its not quite up to the standards of the LA locations and I have to say I had had pieces of something hard in my smoothie, I think they must have put a dates pip in by mistake.. But the smoothie was actually really good other than that..

Pros: tasty, great staff , good location

Cons: not the best vibe

Great Food AND Service - Edit

This has to be one of the best dining experience I've ever had. 1st of all - we were greeted by someone at the counter was more than multitasking but yet still had a very friendly disposition and was able to give us menus and told us to choose our table. Our waiter Mark was as perfect as a waiter can be..

The food (cleverly titled with positive affirmations) was sublime, clever, tasty and ohhhhhh so fresh. If anyone had an experience less than five stars I would pay for them to go back myself - that's how much I believe in this place. I wish them many years of great and healthy success.

Pros: healthy, fresh organic vegan food, clean restaurant and bathroom, friendly happy environment

Cons: none

yum!! - Edit

Just enjoying my breakfast take out. As always the order was ready when promised and everything tastes wonderful! I am Peace, I am Home!

Pros: amazing value, outstanding quality, informed staff

Great food; Great People - Edit

Try the home style potatoes with the spicy cashew "cheese" sauce, oh, and the BLT - amazing. If you're looking for something a bit more healthy, try the beans, rice and kale. I love this place.

Pros: Great food, Healthy food

Cons: Slightly pricy, Somewhat difficult to get to (if not downtown)

Well Worth The Drive - Edit

I have always heard wonderful things about this location but never made the time to drive over the Santa Cruz mountain until now... wish I had no waited! The food was delicious, atmosphere very welcoming, and the staff very happy. Will be making this trip again soon. And just. So happens to be a farmer's market next door.

Pros: Very Reasonably Priced, Options, Large Portions

Cons: Limited Street Parking

Rude service - Edit

This place has really rude staff with high ambitions. We ordered two tacos and the waitress heard me very well, but she bring just 1 dish without apologies. Even more she said to my husband: "She can shares her food with you". Black bean tacos were truly heavy and greasy. I can't recommend this place and will be avoid it next time in Santa Cruz.

Cons: Rude staff, Heavy and greasy dishes

Best vegan in town - Edit

It's been described as "pricey", but it has high quality organic food and an interesting selection of raw dishes. It's menu is creative and portions are large, so given the prices of other good restaurants in the area I would say the cost of eating here is fair. Also it has a dish that is "FREE" for anyone who can't afford it. This may seem like a cultural gimmick for proudly progressive Santa Cruz but i saw a man come in and say he couldnt afford the menu and asked for the free meal. He was treated with dignity and just like any customer. I've eaten here 10 - 12 times and have always been pleased.

Pros: Creative, All vegan, Local produce

My favorite place to eat... - Edit

I absolutely love the food here. Everything I have had has been excellent. I usually go at lunch time and like to go with someone who will split a meal with me. The portion sizes are on the large size. My favorite are the tacos, they are off the menu now but done as a special from time to time. All the desserts are fantastic so save room or get one to go. I have had a lemon honey drink there that was excellent but I ususally just drink water with my meals. Everything is vagan so I don't have to inquire about anything on the menu and it is all fresh, organic food! The staff is friendly and the place is very welcoming. Might seem expensive but price for quality works out pretty well.

Pros: fresh, organic, delicious, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: ? large servings, parking

Too expensive, food not worth it - Edit

My husband and I have been to the Cafe Gratitude in Berkley a few years ago and recently went back while were in Santa Cruz.

I had remembered liking the food from our first time there, but all my husband could remember was it being expensive. After visiting again I tend to be more on my husband's side. The food was decent and I liked everything we got, but for the prices I would have liked to get a LOT more food and top notch quality. I understand high prices with raw items because of the time they take to prepare, but my husband's sandwich (he got the BLT with coconut 'bacon') served with a small salad was $12! I think that's a ripoff.

I got the raw enchilada with sprouted seed filling, spicy mole, cashew sour cream and scallions served with a spicy Mexican coleslaw and salad. It was pretty dang good but, again, for $14 I don't think it was worth it at all. ONE enchilada, a cheap coleslaw and then mixed greens with a dressing filling up almost half my plate? I don't think so.

ALSO the service was horrible and they were out of half of the things on their menu. So, even though their food is good and they are 100% vegan I can really only give them a 3/5. I honestly wouldn't go there again if I had another option, and there are so many better options in Santa Cruz and Berkley!

Pros: All vegan, Raw

Cons: Expensive, Food isn't good, Terrible service

Only 100% Vegan Choice in the area - Edit

not sure why this is listed at Vegetarian because it a mecca for Vegans who just want to eat in a restaurant without having to navigate and tear apart a menu. This place has a reputation for being cultish but I have never experienced any weird vibe. The food and drinks are delicious, a bit pricey but such a treat. Staff is friendly, bring our kids here, drive from san jose a few times a month to eat here. Its a blessing to have in the community.

Pros: 100% Vegan, friendly staff, delicious food

Cons: pricey

Don't waste your time!!!! - Edit

I was so excited to find out that we had a new vegan restaurant in SC. I came in about a week or two ago, and it was a terrible experience. The food is overpriced for what they give you. I ordered a raw "pizza"- it was a very small piece of "dough" with a white creamy blob on one side and a red blob on the other. It tasted exactly like cheap bruschetta in a very sickingly way. The "pizza" was very small, smaller than a CD, and it cost ~10. They put a "salad" on the side (spinach with almost no dressing). They never got us our water even though we asked three times. The waiters did not pay us any attention which was odd since there were a few of them and its a very small place. The cooks forgot to make my "pizza" so we waited about 45 minutes for our food!! My friend said her food was "ok", nothing to come back for.
Terrible service and terrible food. I'll stick with Saturn Cafe and Dharmas!

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Small portion, Bad service, Not delicious

Return to Santa Cruz Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Gratitude closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6073 times since Sep 2011.