Cafe Gratitude

Contact 619-736-5077

1980 Kettner Blvd, San Diego, California, USA, 92101

Part of a collection of organic plant-based restaurants originating from Northern California; this outlet opened summer 2015. Menu comprises raw food as well cooked vegan food. Non-vegan item used is bee products. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by areleous

Best food!! - Edit

I have been to the Cafe Gratitude in Venice as well and this one had a more professional atmosphere. As always the food was amazing! A bit expensive, but worth the price!

Pros: amazing food, beautiful location, good service

Cons: costly

ok not great - Edit

I had high hopes. Really cute decor and ambience and creative menu. But when we ate the food, the taste wasn't there. Semi-cooked vegetables made up the meal. We ordered barbecue tempeh which basically was just ratatouille and then a burrito which ended up being a very salad like meal in a wrap. I like vegetables but not like this. Pass

Pros: great ambience

Cons: bad food

delicious-five star meal - Edit

from drinks to appetizers to our meal and of course dessert(don't miss dessert) the food, service and atmosphere was spot on. Kim our waitress/server was attentive and helpful. Till I come to town again.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: none

Great food and vibe - Edit

Good vibe, taste, and ingredients. This is not a place you go if you're in a rush in my opinion. You sit, you feel grateful and enjoy.

Pros: awesomeness

Cons: slightly pricy but worth , parking

Grateful for Cafe Gratitude - Edit

This is my second Café Gratitude I've been to; the first one was up north in Berkeley. And this one was just as fabulous with a friendly staff, charming interior and amazing selection of delicious food. I always have such a hard time deciding what to order at all-vegan places but I chose something I wouldn't make at home; the "Awesome" Sandwich, which is a breaded eggplant panini with the optional pesto sauce and fresh greens. A refreshing lemonade seltzer with basil leaf was the perfect thirst quencher after a long walk along the boardwalk on a hot sunny SoCal day. The food is not cheap but I feel it's worth it. The only moderate disappointment was the chocolate cookie I ordered to eat later as a snack. It was pretty dry and not too flavorful. I've made better vegan cookies at home so I know they can be better.

Pros: so many delicious vegan options, very friendly helpful staff, clean cheerful atmosphere

Cons: dessert was diappointing, expensive

I am "nourished!" - Edit

prices are a bit steep, but the meal was fabulous. and I am somewhat of a food snob :) "nourished" is a savory French toast with syrup and coconut bacon and soy chorizo on a pile of lovely sauteed kale - delicious. I might go twice in a 4 day trip!

Pros: generous portions, delicious food

Cons: Expensive

Will not be returning - Edit

I'm not sure why you're not allowed to give one star, I would if I could. I gave this place a second shot, even after I was overcharged the first time, with an order that was completely different than the one I ordered. went back to try breakfast anyway, just to be fair. second time around, customer service was still bad, order was wrong again to some extent, and I literally got sick. getting sick from vegan food is hard to do, for me anyway. I was excited about this place, and ended up being really disappointed. the macaroons were good, so maybe the other deserts are as well. this is the only vegan place I can say with certainty, that I will not eat at again.

Pros: it's vegan

Cons: expensive, poor customer service, wrong order, bla

Plenty to be Grateful for - Edit

I am thrilled to have this high end restaurant in our city. A long time coming. I consider it reasonably priced considering the creative, complex dishes and fresh, organic ingredients. I had the Southern plate (I am Resolved) and it was amazing. Blackened tempeh, gingered yams, hush puppy and slaw. Each component was uniquely seasoned and perfect. Be sure to get the bbq sauce on the side. I have eaten here 4 times now and continue to be delighted and impressed. My partner had the Gracious. A melange of radicchio, quinoa, chick peas and kale in a savory sauce. We finished it off with the remarkably creamy pumpkin pie (seasonal). Hard to believe that it was raw.
Con: noisy inside, street noise outside.

decent - Edit

I had the BLT wrap. The wrap was good, but not great. The slaw it came with was bad/bland. I also had the key lime pie. Better than good, and a decent portion. Restaurant a bit "yuppie"? Also, most deserts are soy-based.

Pros: Decent food, Friendly

Cons: heavy soy-base

Excellent. - Edit

Basically, you get what you pay for. The prices reflect the wholesome organic food made with love in a chic setting. I had the macro bowl ("I am Whole) with cultured brown rice, aduki beans, seaweed, house-made kim chee, greens, almonds and sunflower sprouts. Not overly sauced. I could easily live on this food - similar to at home. I also had a warm gluten free cobbler with coco-cashew ice cream (not usually at home!). Server was very kind. Although not veg himself. That will be a real switcher when all the wait service is also veg at these places in the U.S. It's coming!

Must eat! - Edit

I first went to Cafe Gratitude in LA and really enjoyed the food. The menu was very diverse, staff was friendly and the food amazing. Me and my boyfriend went there for our last dinner together during my trip to the US in May.

Needless to say, I was very pleased to find that Cafe Gratitude opened a restaurant in San Diego. The restaurant itself looks even better than the one in LA, in my opinion, it's very spacious yet cosy at the same time. The menu had changed just a little bit since last time in LA, so we had some of the same dishes. We had ceviche as an appetizer, which was really good. My boyfriend especially liked the hot sauce. I had the Whole as an entree, because I'm a sucker for tasty and nutritious meals served in bowls. We also had a dessert, just because, but the dessert menu (served separately) was endless and it was hard to choose! I went for the ice cream, which the waiter explained was raw vegan and home made. Wow!

Cafe Gratitude is slowly but surely becoming my favorite restaurant for a real dining experience, unfortunately we don't have a restaurant like this in the good old Netherlands (even more reason to come back though!). The only "negative" thing I can think of is that it's a bit expensive, that is, if you have a three course dinner. The price of an entree alone is reasonable and either way, it's definitely worth it!

Pros: big menu with lots of options , tasty, original and nutritious food, cosy atmosphere

Cons: a little bit expensive, if you have three courses

expensive but worth it! - Edit

This cafe has everything a whole-food-plant-based person could ever want: Delicious organic farm fresh food served in an open and welcoming environment. Want to detox and distress? Eat here!

Pros: downtown, clean, delicious

Cons: noisy, no parking

Pretty good food, but a little bit expensive. We had a squash dish, a quinoa salad and a smoothie. I like the way you orde, I will let you experience that for yourself. I was under the assumption that it was vegan but the Happy Cow has them as vegetaria - Edit

they have a really nice way of ordering food, which I will let you experience for yourself.

Pros: lots of vegan options

Cons: Expensive

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Gratitude closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.