Cafe Gratitude

Contact 816-474-5683

333 Southwest Blvd, Kansas City, Missouri, USA, 64108

Vegan except for honey. Plant-based, farm-to-table organic food with appetizers, salads, bowls, breakfast, brunch, plus juices, teas, smoothies, and shakes. Affiliated with the Cafe Gratitude restaurant group in Los Angeles/San Francisco. Mon-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by Justin K.

perhaps the best in KC - Edit

One of my favorite restaurants in the world. In my opinion, easily the best that I’ve tried in Kansas City. They are strong on fresh, local, healthy ingredients and creative, yet simple, recipes. A pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. The restaurant offers a wide variety of well-made bowls, salads, and other dishes. I can easily look at the menu and find a dish with an appealing set of ingredients. In previous visits, they have let me look at complete ingredient lists for a particular dish on request.

I enjoyed a late-night meal at Cafe Gratitude on my last night in town on a recent business trip. I noticed an interesting breakfast scramble on the specials menu and also had a Caesar salad that was excellent. My visit was one of three during the trip to Kansas City. I did not regret any of my visits to this vegan gem.

Pros: excellent, healthy food, friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful wait staff, vegan except for honey

Cons: location remote for some

First of three great Kansas City veg restaurants I tried! - Edit

I recently spent three days in Kansas City - my first ever - with two local resident longtime friends who are perhaps best described as flexitarians. They made a point to research local veg restaurants in anticipation of my visit - and Cafe Gratitude was the first of three they picked for our meals out. I was really impressed - and my flexitarian friends were, too! My friends and I all ordered from the special "Taco Tuesday" menu the day we were there - and all of us were happy with our choices. I had "Taco Option 1" - two corn tortillas filled with roasted potatoes, pica de gallo, avocado and salsa verde; served with a goji chipotle side salad. It was truly delicious! I guess the $12.50 price tag was a wee bit on the pricey side - but in my opinion a good value for the obvious quality and freshness of all the ingredients.

Pros: Fresh, delicious food, Friendly staff, Nice decor

less than mucho - Edit

I was excited to try this location as I have been to the ones in california and enjoyed them. We started with a cinnamon roll for an appetizer. It was dry and had more in common with a biscuit; it was not worth $6. We also had coffee and chai smoothies. They were also good, but not worth $9. Finally, we each had a bowl. The whole and the mucho. The mucho was not a ton of food as the name might imply for the $12. It was billed as spicy; it wasn't. the mucho was beans, rice, guac, pico de gallo, and some sad lettuce. It reminded me of a smaller, less salty chipotle bowl. staff was friendly, and i liked the atmosphere. With both fud and mud pie in the area, I will be skipping this in the future. The other two are much, much better taste and value for money.

Pros: all vegan food, friendly staff

Cons: expensive, meh on the food, parking

Yum Yum Yum - Edit

Cafe Gratitude has become a favorite of mine in spite of prices that stretch a little higher than other local spots with similar fare - for instance, a vegan milkshake that's several dollars more than another local vegan joint. Every dish I've tried has been delicious and filling - not in the bloated, stuffed way, but in the feeling great, satisfied way. Their version of bruschetta is a particular favorite. My only issues, aside from high price points, are the goofy item names (though that's their schtick) and how frequently they run out of ingredients. On three visits in a row, months apart, they were out of eggplants - necessary for several dishes - and mushrooms were MIA on another trip. Those issues aren't anything that prevent us from returning, though, and I leave feeling happy every time we do.

Pros: flavor, satisfying portions, variety

Cons: cost, running out of ingredients

pit stop lunch - Edit

While in San Fransisco I kind of actively avoided going to CG, but when traveling across the country and you hit KC and you want a quick lunch that is more on the healthy side than some questionably vegan options in the plains, CG is your choice. The bowl I got, I don't recall the name, was satisfying yet simple.

Pros: vegetarian

Cons: cult

Good food, never fills me up - Edit

I like Cafe Gratitude... but never seem to leave the place feeling full. That's probably the point, as we shouldn't be over-eating anyway. Good flavors, and some interesting combinations.

Pros: Good food, Great service, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: Expensive for portion size, Never get full :(

My favourite place with raw options - Edit

This is one of my favourite places to eat in Kansas City with a lot of alternatives for those who are not too crazy about raw food since they also offer cooked options. I have been going to this place for several years everytime I stopped by Kansas City and it is the better option for vegans.

When it comes to my favourite food choices, the desserts are amazing! I recomend anyone to try their chocolate or coconut mousse. Maybe some killer prices but worth every dollar extra. However if you compare these prices compared to elsewhere with other organic raw food places it is pretty reasonable. Also it is the first raw food serving place where I actually enjoyed the meals compared to elsewhere. At least when you eat there the place has a great chill vibe and people working there are always nice and friendly.

I also love their inspiration blackboard with a new topic every day where anyone can write something to aspire others with.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 12, 2015

Pros: Selection, Desserts, Atmosphere

Cons: Bland main courses, A pain to find good parking spots

My Most favorite restauraunt of all time - Edit

Everything I have tried on the menu I have loved. The service is friendly and informative without being pushy or overbearing. The atmosphere is very cool and calming.

Pros: Service is good, Food is amazing, Earth friendly

Delicious! - Edit

Our family of 5 ate here today. I had a dish called Warm Hearted and it was amazing! My son got the grilled cheese, he's not usually a fan of vegan cheese but said this was the best grilled cheese he's ever had. It is expensive but you can tell the ingredients they use aren't cheap. The desserts were insane! It is a great place and makes me wish I lived closer to Kansas City. I would be a regular.

Pros: delicious food, nice atmosphere, fresh ingredients

Cons: expensive

Contributions +394

Pretty Good - Edit

This location is pretty cool. I looks like an old industrial building inside. The staff seemed very friendly and provided a great service. The reason I gave this place a 4 star is because of cost and some foods not being offered. The typical plate averages around $12-$14 which is kind of steep and for that you don't really get a big portion. For me I also need things like tempeh to fill up and this place doesn't over vegan proteins.

Pros: Cool location , Friendly staff

Cons: High price

Wonderful - Edit

Cafe Gratitude is perfect. I was recently diagnosed with celiac and the challenges of that while being a vegetarian can be difficult, but Cafe Gratitude makes it easy. Almost everything is vegan AND gluten free. The only problem is overspending on all the wonderful items on the menu!

Pros: food, vibe, drinks

Cons: price

what makes my heart sing? cafe gratitude! - Edit

What makes my heart sing? every new city I arrive, beaming while wandering aimlessly taking in completely new scenery, I find a badass veggie power saloon to refuel my spirit and charge my soul!!! They holler like they have polite turrets syndrome , calling out beautiful names of the meals when ready! I love this place. I would move to this city just to live inside this love temple

Pros: love, life , peace

Wonderful! - Edit

Our first visit was on Thanksgiving Day. The volunteer wait staff (regular staff had the day off) and owners were very friendly and welcoming. They offered just one dish (veggie burger with gravy, mixed greens salad and pecan pie ball) that was delicious and free (or a free will donation)! We returned 2 days later and ordered from the menu. There were so many choices that looked amazing that it was hard to decide what to order. We chose the I Am Warm Hearted, a polenta dish, and I Am Transformed, tacos. Both were outstanding. We finished with key lime pie and a chocolate coconut cookie. Wish we lived closer so that we could frequent this restaurant on a regular basis. Wonderful, delicious food.

Pros: Outstanding vegan food, Very friendly staff and owners, Great atmosphere

Absolutely Fabulous! - Edit

I've heard nothing but great things about Cafe Gratitude and so when I made the trip to Kansas City this weekend, I was so excited to try it. I wish I could have gone for lunch or dinner, but breakfast was so wonderful! The vibe of the place is great--beautiful space that is well put together and lots of very friendly staff.

I had the I am Bonita, which is a mexi-themed breakfast dish. It was phenomenal; the nut-based nacho cheese was delicious and added a nice touch to the brown rice, black beans, tomatoes, and avocado. I devoured it. I also had the I am Energized, an alkalizing green smoothie full of kale, celery, jalapeno, avocado, and other things. It was a tad spicy, but nothing that I couldn't appreciate it. It was VERY green and VERY yummy. I had a bite of a friend's breakfast special, which was a cashew crepe stuffed with banana and apple, and topped with coconut yogurt and maple syrup. Heavenly. Can't really regret my order as it was so satisfying, but wow-creative and tasty.

I can't say enough good things; my biggest disappointment was not being able to try more on the menu! The food was so good and I hope I can make it back to KC and stop by Cafe Gratitude for lunch or dinner--I want to try the raw pizza!!

Also, I loved that everything was 100% vegan and appreciated things were marked as gluten-free--or how to make them gluten-free. It is so nice to be confident that what you are ordering is vegan!

Maybe open a place in St. Louis? Please? :)

Pros: Delicious and healthy food, Fabulous space, Lots of great vegan/gluten free options

A local FAV - Edit

I love the place. I have taken my wife here twice and a good friend once, and have had nothing but good experiances. The food is amazing, and my wife and I have made it a new tradition to eat dinner here before heading to the performance hall to catch a ballet.

The names they give all the dishes are hokey, and do nothing to discribe the content of the meal. But, it is part of the charm of the place. If you can get past feeling dopey while asking for an "I am .", then you will love what they bring to the table.

Pros: Amazing food, Local top-shelf ingredient, Great staff and presentation, Generous hours

Cons: A little pricy, but worth it, Dish names

One of my favorite restaurants in Kansas City! - Edit

First off, the restaurant itself is beautifully put together with tall ceilings, hanging lights, a couple of raised dining areas, and stools down the center for large groups. (The benches along the side could use a little help leveling, though. I felt like I was playing on a teeter-totter whenever other customers would stand up or shift.)

For an appetizer, we ordered the Live Nachos (called I Am Honoring) made with sunflower bean pate, guacamole, salsa fresca, and nacho cheese. The cool, creamy, and spicy cheese was served in a mound with homemade crackers. The cheese was wonderfully rich with a kick of heat. It felt alive in the mouth and whetted my palate for what was to come.

For my entree I had I Am Pure, which is a kale salad made with avocado, cucumber, carrots, cilantro, basil, and green onions, topped with teriyaki almonds and sunflower sprouts, and tossed in a ginger-tahini dressing. It was a large enough serving to easily cover a couple of meals, especially after sharing an appetizer. I enjoyed the kale salad, especially the whole teriyaki almonds and freshness of the vegetables, but I wouldn't say that it was anything extraordinary.

My husband's Indian bowl, I Am Humble, came with a layer of brown rice (quinoa is also an option), raw spinach, and mounds of spiced red lentils and potatoes that were mashed together. This hearty, stick-to-your-ribs bowl was wonderfully satisfying and a tamarind sauce gave a lift of sweetness to the dish.

The next time I was there, I ordered the Pad Thai-style dish called I Am Terrific. This vibrant and flavorful dish comes with carrots, shredded kale, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, and scallions. It's topped with teriyaki almonds and sprouts.

My husband ordered I Am Extraordinary, a CLT made of chipotle-maple coconut bacon, romaine lettuce, tomato, and avocado on a seeded bun. I'd heard about coconut bacon in the past, but this was my first experience of it. The smoky flavors of bacon are very mild, and the taste of coconut flakes stands out on the sandwich, giving it a somewhat tropical flair. It comes with a creamy cashew aioli, which is the star of the show.

I can't recommend Cafe Gratitude highly enough. It's definitely worth a visit!

Pros: delicious food, varied menu, lovely atmosphere

Great atmosphere , friendly staff and awesome food. We ordered black bean soup, Cesar salad and tamales. For dessert we had vegan ice cream! Not to be outdone by the hazelnut chocolate cream pie. Two thumbs up to everything here! Thank you Cafe Gratitude, we are grateful for you!

Pros: atmosphere, vegan ice cream, question of the day to discuss at the table

Cons: none

In the shadow of meatpacking a ray of sunshine - Edit

Read the full review with pics on my blog, Marty's Flying Vegan Review:

Kansas City, the words are almost synonymous with meat. Beef. Stockyards. Amazing that there are 3 vegan establishments here. Fud is not open for dinner during the week and Mud Pie Vegan Bakery wasn't what I had in mind for a dinner, so what turned out to be a good choice was made by default.

But first, KC you do have your progressive shite together. Rentable bikes that you can return to different locations than where you rented them from. These automated kiosks caught my attention in a double take and I pulled over to take a few pics. The only question I have is what if you're taking a bike to a place that is full. Then what, since you're charged by the hour while you have the bike. The clock apparently stops when you bring it back and you can take the bike as many times as you want during the period you paid for. Interesting concept.

Now just to give you a feel for the place, here's something you don't see in my neck of the woods everyday ... but it's one of the first things I noticed at MCI, the big airport:

And one last thing. Here's the view from my hotel. Actually not a bad looking city:

Now for the food part. I made you wait. I'm sorry. No I'm not. But here:

The interior is a warm brick and wood interior with a bar running about half way down the dining room. I found the environment very relaxing.

I don't really like when dishes have cute names and every dish here does. As a newcomer to a menu I just find it just a bit harder to decipher. Here are a few shots of the menu. That being said it is a pretty extensive menu and you do have lots of options and cuisines to choose from.

The conversation sounds like this, "Did you want to be comforted or are you connected?"
"I don't know, I just want the potatoes."

I got the I Am Comforted as an appetizer.

I Am Transformed is their best seller and since I'm still on a quest for the world's best veggie burger I tried that too. I Am Magical. "poof."

Just so you know, I put gluttony aside and took home half of everything I ordered. Except dessert. That didn't make it back to the hotel room.

Natalie the owner asked me if I liked chocolate and mint as she put this in front of me. I LOVE chocolate and mint. This was a shake and although I thought it was cool and refreshing and enjoyed the crunch of the nibs I think the mint, from fresh mint leaves, was a bit too "green" i

Pros: Great space, Friendly staff, great tacos/dessert

Cons: Silly food names, parking is a pay lot across street

Delicious Meal - Omni-Friendly! - Edit

Went to Cafe Gratitude tonight and didn't realize it was KC First Friday until arriving downtown. The place was packed and all the food looked great. Staff was pretty quick on getting us seated and attentive at the table. They were out of a couple of things on the menu but they are still working on rolling out the full menu, and with how busy it was tonight (and apparently every day since opening) that's to be expected. The bowls were very filling, tasty and healthy, the chocolate "I am luscious" knocked my socks off.
Definitely going to go back, omni-friends said they want an invite.

Pros: friendly knowledgeable service, tasty healthy cuisine, filling

Cons: out of several items, lighting over dimmed

Return to Kansas City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Gratitude closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7720 times since May 2012.