CLOSED: Cafe Galatea

5a High Street, Glastonbury, England, BA6 9DP

Offers many vegetarian and vegan dishes. Russian vegetable soup, fresh juices, elderflower spritzer, and more. Table service, evening menu, has non-smoking. REPORTED SHUT IN EARLY-2015.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by tinkerbell

The seemingly usual complaint - Edit

No! [edit by staff] The food is good for sure, really good, but the service! I know you can get lucky, and everything might go quite well, but it's not worth the risk. Forget it!

Pros: Food

Cons: No manners, Hostile, Very rude

I quite like this place - Edit

My husband and I have had really good experiences here over the last few years during our visits. The staff we have always been served by have been friendly. Service does take a while, although this doesn't tend to be an issue if you've come out for a nice relaxing evening and are happy to enjoy the ambience. If you are in a hurry then it probably isn't the place for you.

My favourite dish is the enchiladas. My friends have reported good feedback on the sunday 'nut'roast dinner too.

There are a few good vegan options available and usually dessert. The sugar free apricot slice is amazing, expecially warmed and served with vegan icecream. The crumble is vegan and very delicious too.

Pros: Tasty food, vegan options

Cons: A little slow if you are in a hurry

Good hummus - Edit

My aunt and I stopped here for a quick snack once we arrived in Glastonbury. We only had hummus, which was quite good. And we had a cup of coffee (odd combination, I know). We didn't care much for the staff. Not sure what it was about them, they just didn't seem too friendly.

Pros: hummus

Cons: staff

Appalling service - Edit

I've been eating here on and off for the last 18 years. The menu has barely changed during that time. The food currently ranges from mediocre to excellent.

Unfortunately, the service is considerably worse than the food. The staff are disinterested and inattentive. Expect to wait a long time for service and for your food. Don't expect anyone to enquire as to your needs during the meal. The last time we ate here, they forgot the drinks menu, and despite wandering past the table many times, failed to notice that none of our party had drinks. The food was undercooked, and when the owner came to clear the table, she said absolutely nothing when this fact was drawn politely to her attention.

The Galatea's reputation amongst locals is very poor, and its easy to see why. It's a shame, because when they get it right, the food is absolutely excellent. Sunday roasts, for example, are usually superb.

Overall, this establishment suffers from an air of neglect, and its hard to feel that the owners actually have any enthusiasm for it any more. Great though the Sunday roasts may be, the selection of veg never varies, and so even when getting it right, the Galatea manages to create an impression of general apathy.

Pros: Generally good food, Reasonably priced

Cons: Appalling service, Moribund menu, Air of neglect

gone downhill - Edit

We have been visitng here for over 9 years and used to travel to Glastonbury just to eat here,not any more. We have been really disappointed the last few times we visited;and have gone across to the blue note cafe instead.We have waited excessive times to be served; even over an hour just to oreder our food; last time we just left. I too have seen rich middle aged Americans served before us! We now avoid the place, as do many of our friends. It now seems more full of tourists (around Europe in 14 days!) rather than veggies wanting good food and service.

Pros: nice cakes(not homemade!), nice soups

Cons: really slow service, unhelpful staff

Return to Glastonbury Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe Galatea closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1846 times since Aug 2007.