Cafe Gaia

Contact 819-503-1030

103 Frontenac Street, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada,

Small, casual vegetarian cafe with hand-painted art decorate the tables and the colorful walls. Menu usually includes a daily soup, salads and sandwiches, a main hot plate, weekly specials, and desserts. No alcohol. NOTE: Their other location at 47A boulevard Montclair shut down in early 2012. Open Mon-Wed 11:00am-8:00pm, Thu-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Take-out, Canadian

First Review by jedzen

Doesn't top La Belle Verte - Edit

I wanted to try a new veg restaurant so I went there with my mom (she's not vegetarian or vegan).
There weren't a lot of vegan options. I ordered the burritos and my mom ordered some pasta/vegetables/gratin dish.
Both of our meals were cold and they weren't even freshly made, they were left overs that were simply reheated. It was alright.. something you can easily make at home to be honest. When we were finished, it took a good 10-15 minutes before someone came to our table. The other 2 customers were blabbing about how good the food was.. Anyway, I'll stick to La Belle Verte.

The worst vegetarian restaurant in Gatineau - Edit

Go to La Belle Verte instead. Seriously.

Food was bland and pricey. Service was slow, specials were missing and very little effort was made to understand either English or French.

Plus, there are hardly any choices for vegans. The concept of non-dairy milk seemed to be beyond the wildest imaginings of this place.

We wanted to make an event of this place but ended up skipping out and going to La Belle Verte for dessert. Don't make our mistakes.

Hippy Alert, Eat HERE! - Edit

Cafe Gaia is great. The service and food are just like the old days when veg was just coming in. This place is the "real deal." On our list for sure. I think there are 2 places in Gatineau, one on Laval and the other not too far away. It's just lovely.

Pros: Great food, Good service, People care/nice patio

Cons: none

not bad- a bit pricey for what you get - Edit

I ordered the brown rice with veggies and tofu, and ginger sauce for $14. Ten minutes later they came back and said the only veggies they have left are carrots and red cabbage and would I like something else. So I changed my order to the moussaka for $14. It was good with lots of cheese. It came with a side salad which was very fresh.
My spouse had a sandwich with pesto, olives, cheddar, mozzarella and tomatoes for $9. As you can probably see in the photo it would be easy to make at home and seemed quite pricey considering.
My son had a sandwich with Brie and apples and tomatoes. Once again it was good but not outstanding. My daughter had the veggie burger for $9. It doesn't make our list of best veggie burgers.
The restaurant was very small and the service was slow. The outside was a bit run down. La belle Verte, a nearby vegetarian restaurant, is much better.

Pros: organic, fresh

Cons: slow service, bit pricey, small

Good food, good service - Edit

I went once with my boyfriend and we had a good experience. I ordered something really simple : a salad. There was greens, sprouts, nuts and seeds, tofu and figs on it. It was colorful and tasted fresh. My boyfriend had steamed veggies with coconut/peanut butter sauce, and that was really good. We had glasses of wine also. The choices for vegan desserts are limited. They had raspberry-oatmeal cookies or date squares. The guy working there was really friendly and seemed to be alone to do the service and to cook. When we asked about the menu he seemed to know a lot and was really helpful. All of the plates were vegetarian but some of them were not vegan, like lasagna and other food, but it's also easy to ask for vegan options. There was not a lot of people so the service was rather quick. I have nothing wrong to say about that charming, colorful little place.

Return to Gatineau Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Gaia closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2418 times since Oct 2007.