Cafe Flora

206-325-9100

2901 E Madison St, Madison Valley, Seattle, Washington, USA, 98112

A vegetarian restaurant with a pleasing upscale ambiance. Serves international cuisine with vegan options. For lunch, vegans can order the fried olive and hummus platter, the spicy Carolina BBQ sandwich, the blackberry endive salad and the peach fennel salad; some of the other items can possibly be made vegan upon request. Vegan items for dinner are the blackberry endive salad and most of the starters; almost all the others are vegetarian, of which some can be made vegan. Brunch offerings for vegans are biscuits & gravy, peach and blackberry waffles, chocolate rosemary almond muffins, cinnamon rolls and all of the morning squeezes and libations; again, others could possibly be made vegan. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-2:00pm, Sat-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Miso Vegan

Delicious brunch, beautiful atmosphere - Edit

An omnivore Seattle resident friend treated me to brunch here on a recent visit.

My friend had the seasonal breakfast platter, which he chose to order with eggs and cheese - though the dish can be made vegan by ordering tofu and potatoes instead. I had the southern platter which is vegan if you order it with tofu instead of eggs. Both of us thought our food was delicious!

We had heard mixed reviews about the service, but our server was both efficient and friendly.

The location is really beautiful too - with plants everywhere on the exterior and interior of the building, lots of natural light, and a small rock garden with waterfall in the center of the main dining area.

I will definitely want to eat at this place again - either at this location or when they open in Seattle Tacoma International Airport which is planned for 2017.

Pros: delicious food, many vegan options, beautiful atmosphere

Pricey but yummy - Edit

Had our first visit to Café Flora yesterday. After some initial confusion (the greeter had disappeared for a few minutes), our brunch experience there was great. Started with a cherry almond hemp nog, which was a bit on the small side but delicious. Our main courses were a carrot & fennel scramble with roasted potatoes (good), raspberry French toast (very good), and blueberry pancakes with lemon curd (awesome). The scramble was also a bit on the small side, but the pancakes were good-sized. The prices are fairly high, as others have mentioned, but not outrageous. Overall we enjoyed the food and service, and I'm sure we'll be back.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Somewhat expensive

potential - Edit

Used to love this place for many years. Unfortunately, lately the food quality (especially breakfast) is not as good and some staff seem permanently grumpy and one feels as though your presence is an inconvenience. I went in earlier this week and waited over 5 min for someone to seat me while I listened to the staff talk about their families just behind the wall of kitchen behind the espresso bar, if anyone had stopped for a moment and looked out they would have seen they had a customer (and the restaurant only had a few tables filled at the time)...I finally just left as it didn't seem anyone was going to come out anytime soon and I had a limited time for lunch. Still lots of nice folks here, but a noticeable change after many years of great food and service. Hope the greatness this place once had will return!

Okay choice - Edit

The restaurant is in a nice building with lots of windows, plants, and a fountain. Unfortunately, the food doesn't live up to the setting. We had a seasonal tofu scramble and the forager scramble. Both tasted about the same except that one had more soy and the other had a few tiny slivers of mushroom and squash. Both had an abundance of salt, if you like salty foods. According to the receipt, our server was also a manager. There were only two other tables being served, and she seemed put out to have us there as well.

It also bothers me that they charge an extra dollar for tofu instead of eggs. Unless they are getting really cheap eggs, tofu isn't that much more costly to serve.

If you are in Madison Valley and need a place to sit down and eat, this does the trick. The food won't be inspired, but it is filling, and it is vegetarian or vegan, depending on your wishes.

Pros: Nice setting, Vegan options

Cons: Uninteresting food, Uninterested server

I love the seasonal selections! - Edit

The food was so tasty and fresh!! What impressed me most was how they embraced the season with their offerings. Very original and creative dishes!

Great Decor, Decent food, amazing dessert - Edit

I love the place, it has a lovely feeling to it and the indoor garden area is beautiful.

Food wise: I had the vegan quinoa cakes and they were really tasty and well prepared. My friend (omni) had the vegan version of the ravioli following my advise, but I have to say they were a little tasteless for my liking. The cashew cream wasnt that espectacular and the filling of the ravioli was a little bit poor. The quino cakes were far superior.

Now, hands down for the dessert. I had the vegan chocolate raw cake and it was amazing. So, so, creamy and delicious - the best part of the meal.

Definitely a nice spot for a date, family or friends meal.

Nice interior. Unusual selections.Strange flavors. - Edit

I've been twice in several years, and each time the food flavors were pretty unusual to me, and I go to a lot of restaurants.

The interior is probably nice enough for a date.

A few weeks ago I had:
Grillled Flatbread 2.5/5
Oaxaca Tacos 2.5/5
Plum Pistachio Pizza 2.5/5
Zucchini Fritters (too salty) 2/5
Heirloom Melon & Shiso Salad 2.0-2.5/5 (but the frisee lettuce I gave 1.5)
—shortly before closing.

Updated from previous review on Saturday January 03, 2015

I Like It - Edit

I've been pretty happy here. The food is good. I think it's a little better than Plum Bistro. The interior is lovely. It's a great date spot. I haven't had the service problems other reviewers have. I agree that they could be more vegan friendly. About half the menu is or can be made vegan. Unfortunately, not the Portobello Wellington.

Pros: Good food, Nice decor

Cons: Expensive, Could have more vegan options

Great dinner - Edit

We had dinner here two weeks ago .. unfortunately we live way out of the area, so unable to provide a lot of repeat business. Vegan options are available, along with a wider range of vegetarian dishes. The food, service, and layout is top notch. If we had not had lunch at araya's a block away the next day, it would be my top choice in Seattle, but still an excellent choice.

Pros: Great food, enjoyable atmosphere

Cons: got to be early or wait

over it - Edit

So when asked to have something garlic-free and vegan they bring out barely cooked unseasoned tofu. They seem lost, and still rude though you can tell at times some are forcing a trying to be nice thing. We won't be back, nor do I think hey want vegans there anyhow.

Cons: freezing in the cafe, service was bad, uncarved block

Always try to stop by when we are in Seattle - Edit

While it would be nice if there were more vegan options on the menu, the servers have consistently worked with me to come up with something that is both vegan and delicious. Last time I was there I had a lovely, fresh salad with seasonal greens and their summer polenta for my main course. I wasn't sure I was going to like the polenta, but it was delicious. We sat out in their beautiful garden in the sunshine and had wonderful service from a young lady that was such a sweetheart, we almost wanted to hug her when we left. Will definitely continue to come back here whenever we are in Seattle.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 25, 2014

Pros: Beautiful setting - inside and outside, Food is delicious and seasonal, Friendly, efficient service

Cons: Would like more vegan dishes

won't be back - Edit

I was pretty surprised at how difficult it was as a vegan to work with their menu. Most of the options are vegetarian, not vegan, and then the few that can be made vegan have a little star by them... so when I asked my server how certain ones were made vegan, it was usually just by leaving out a certain ingredient, without providing a substitution. After a lot of figuring out, my fiancé and I settled on a black bean burger and tomato vegetable soup (the only vegan soup they had...)
The food itself tasted good, and the interior design was absolutely gorgeous -possibly one of the prettiest restaurants I've been in. But honestly, with how poor/slow the service was, and how expensive the food was (for such limited options!) we won't be back. Maybe it's easier for vegetarians. (although I did read another review talking about how their cheese has rennet?)

Pros: beautiful interior design, food wasn't bad

Cons: not as vegan friendly as you'd think, very slow/poor service, expensive

Needs vegan improvement - Edit

I can't really comment for vegetarians, who have way more options than vegans on the menu. Maybe it is because there are so many better vegan restaurants that Cafe Flora is not trying hard enough with vegan options?
Most vegan options are actually vegetarian selections that can be veganized. I don't like that, it makes me wonder how often they screw up.
Anyway, went there, struggled to find anything exciting as a vegan and will not plan to go back because of the other options in Seattle.

Birthday lunch - Edit

I went here for my birthday- I had their vegan Caesar salad and bloody mary. It is a vegetarian restaurant- some items are vegan or can be veganized, but a lot of the choices seem to be vegetarian. I really like the interior. I think it would be a good place to go with family and non-veg friends.

Pros: Good food, big spacious restaurant

Cons: only some items are vegan

Cafe Flora is a Treat - Edit

This was my first vegetarian stop during a recent trip to Seattle and it did not disappoint for a second. It's an attempt at top drawer veggie cuisine in a very cute, quaint, artsy decor. Unfortunately, we didn't get to sit in the beautiful sun room dining area.

We had a wonderful server and bypassed the interesting assortment of starters and ordered our food. My wife's Portobello Wellington was much enjoyed and cooked excellently. The vegetables, as I recall, were a delight.

Personally, my Lobster Mushroom Polenta was phenomenal. This dish is a testament to the near-perfection attained by the cook staff. I adored it.

We saw the desert tray when we walked in and made sure to save room for the delicious-looking white cake. In fact, the coconut layer cake was outstanding and a wonderful, sizable way to end our meal.

All in all, I left with nothing to complain about. Service was prompt, decor was great, servings were appropriate, food was delicious and good times were had. The only thing that hurt (a little) was the price tag. Overpriced? Maybe. But I'll take a hit from time to time in order to take in special places like Cafe Flora.

Pros: Great food, Nice ambiance, Good service

Cons: Prices could come down a bit

I loved the dining area - Edit

First time at cafe flora. I was there for brunch on a sunday afternoon. The dining area is bright, plenty of windows, nicely decorated with wall art and plants, though probably could use more textiles to help absorb some of the loud noise that can't be avoided with large amounts of people in a closed space. They have a greenhouse-like dining area as well, which looked bright and cozy, though I did not sit in that area.
I only saw the brunch menu, so I can't comment much on the dinner menu. I ended up ordering the Rancho Colorado scramble, which was supposedly spice, but I tasted none of the spice. I had real eggs, but they offer the tofu option as a vegan alternative. Potatoes were tasty, though overall, the dish was nothing out of the ordinary.
I'd say this place is a bit overpriced, but worth the trip based on the available food options, dining atmosphere and good service.

Pros: Great ambiance , Friendly, prompt service, Large menu, with plenty of vegan options

Cons: Overpriced, in my opinion

Great Food and Atmosophere - Edit

The food was great, even my father who hates anything labeled as vegan or vegetarian liked it. We sat in the greenhouse-like seating area, and it was very beautiful and peaceful. Although it's on the pricey side, so I don't frequent this place much, it's worth a try.

Cute patio area and pretty good food - Edit

I enjoyed sitting out on the patio and there seemed to be a lot of interesting food choices on the menu. We ordered a fairly wide variety of vegan offerings (apps, mains and desserts). There were certain offerings that were better than others and overall I would say the food was pretty good (but not great). If I lived in the neighborhood I'd probably eat here again but if I had to drive out of my way there is other better vegan fare in Seattle.

Pros: Cute patio/outdoor seating, Wide variety of veggie/vegan foods, Creative menu

Cons: Food is only ok and it should be great.

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Flora closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.