Cafe Equator

Contact 504-888-4772

2920 Severn Ave, Metairie, Louisiana, USA, 70002

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai cuisine daily for lunch and dinner. Menu includes a large vegetarian section where the food is prepared with vegetable stock, no meat, or fish products.

Category: Ovo, Thai, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by arcfjss

Great place for vegans to dine with omnis - Edit

Cafe Equator near New Orleans is a Thai restaurant that is very veggie friendly...I'm usually hesitant to go with Thai cuisine because fish/oyster sauce seems to pop up in many dishes. The restaurant gives this note on the menu: Vegetarian items on this list prepared with vegetable stock, no meat or seafood products (ie. fish sauce, or shrimp paste) unless specified. I ordered the basil eggplant with tofu from the large vegetarian section of the menu. The veg was so tender with the delicate flavor of basil imparted in every bite and the tofu was fried and perfectly crispy. The portion was very generous and it came with a side of rice so I left with a full belly. Yum

Pros: Excellent food

Cons: Parking, A little expensive

Very good - Edit

I was happy to find a restaurant to serve vegan friendly options. I enjoyed the food. The place felt warm & relaxing, enjoyed the low music playing in the background. The service was very good, waitress was very kind. Enjoyed my experience there & plan on going back.

Pros: excellent service , good food, vegan friendly options

Cons: wish there were more food variety options

wonderful! (but beware the iced tea;) - Edit

First time here and really enjoyed the food. Very happy to find another vegan friendly place. Pickens are slim in Nola! Love that they segregate their menu into a veg section. But beware when ordering iced tea. If you do not specify, you will get some sort of Thai tea w/cream in it!
We had the tofu soup, Vegetarian Delight, Ginger Veg and the Basil Fried Rice. The Basil Fried Rice is good enough to stand alone as a meal (SO YUM!) and the Ginger Veg was delicate and sweet (another instant fave).
I highly recommend this place to all hungry vegans!!

Pros: vegan , delicious, nice ambience

Cons: iced tea has cream in it

Great! - Edit

we went here on a saturday evening and the place was full of people. The waitress was really nice and quick. A lot of vegetarian food on the menu and i choose a really simply dish with veggies, tofu and soyasauce! But it was great!

It's healthy, full of fresh vegetables and also a nice place! Go!
Compare to the other thai restaurants we went ( And we go often!) it's a good deal!

Cafe Equator , the worste - Edit

Worste service ever. We went with our Service Dog, ADA approved , she looked at us from head to toe, made us wait and gave us the worste table by the kitchen, from then on, it went from bad to horrible, when we asked for dessert she said the kitchen was already close, according to the web we still had an hour. Too bad they have people like that working at a restaurant, we ll never go back there.

Cons: Service, Bad manners, Horrible

Delicious & VERY veg-friendly - Edit

I found this place on HappyCow today because I wanted something new. It's close to my office and my bf gave up meat for lent so he has been eating wherever I want. Veggie rolls for an appetizer were delicious. We had the pad thai with tofu and the basil eggplant dish with rice and they were both AMAZING. The server even asked if they could use egg. Tons of vegetarian and vegan options and it is delicious. Perfect portions - I left full but not stuffed. We were also shocked to see that it was only $24 for both of us for lunch!! Will be going back again very soon.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy Options, Good Portion Sizes

Cons: Small Parking Lot

Sooo Delicious! - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here on our first night in New Orleans. Great atmosphere, awesome food. I got 3 Seasons Veggies (you MUST get this if you like pineapple:) and my boyfriend got vegan Pad Kee Mow. As our appetizer we ordered Equator Veggie Rolls which came with a scrumptious sweet and tangy dipping sauce I could not get enough of. I would have loved to go back, but this restaurant is in Metairie and the next day we made our way to Mid City and the French Quarter(on vaca with no car). Will go back if in town again!

Excellent Food and service - Edit

Cafe Equator has a large selection of vegetarian dishes. My wife and I shared two of those entrees and our taste buds were treated to one of the most savory and intricately spiced Thai dishes we have had in a very long time. The menu clearly identifies which entrees are vegetarian and, to provide reassurance, explains what the dishes do _not_ contain. There also is a separate section of Authentic Thai entrees that, at first glance, appear to be vegetarian, but the creator of the menu has taken the time to explain that they are not so as they contain fish-based products, e.g. fish sauce, that can not be eliminated.

I highly recommend this restaurant not only for the high quality of the food, the large selection of vegetarian dishes, but also for the thoughtfulness of the creator of the menu. I look forward to eating at Cafe Equator again later this week!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, knowledgeable waitstaff

Return to Metairie Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Equator closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2237 times since May 2010.