First Review by A.Z.P.

Marketplace and Cafe - Edit

There are 2 DiCocoa's, and the previous two reviewers seem to be confused. They are actually reviewing the Bakery and Market, not Cafe DiCocoa. The Cafe is only open for the "Gentle Dining" series for 12 weeks in the winter, and for in-house catering, and cooking classes in the summer. The Bakery and Market has pre-made meals, heat & eat foods, baked goods, coffees, teas, gelato, soup, etc., but it is not a Cafe.

For the real Cafe experience, you'd need to make reservations for one of the "Gentle Dining" evenings, which is a really fun dinner-party-like experience. Each week is a different cuisine to explore!

I might go there to get Sorbet.... - Edit

The actual cafe is quite cute and has outside seating as well as indoor.
I felt awkward as I entered the cafe I was unsure if you seat yourself or they seat you. I stood there for about two minutes without staff acknowledging me. I had to wait until a local came in and observed them ordering and then seeing you ordered at the counter got in line behind him.

The food available was from a deli case or a cooler. I asked for a mexican wrap without cheese. They said they only have the premade ones. I ended up getting a hummus sandwich. There were not a lot of vegan options there, overall food choices were limited.

They do offer gelato, sorbet(which was the best part), and coffee.
There are a few shelves of retail items for sale as well.

Pros: sorbet was great, cute decor

Cons: staff more friendly to locals, not many vegan options, food premade so no way to get w/o cheese

Decent Small town vege offering - Edit

When we heard about Cefe DiCocoa we were very excited as that part of southern maine does not have alot of vegetarian options. We drove about 40 minutes and what we found was a small country style bakery with a few tables for lunch. The cafe offers a large variety of baked goodies as well as a few daily hot entrees, some standard wraps, and home-made salads. It is open until 3 on weekdays and 4 on sunday. In all honesty this is the kind of place which would never last in a big city, but is important for vegetarians and healthy eaters from around a small town like Bethel. The place seemed well frequented as patrons walked in and out pretty regularly throughout the time we were there. The best thing we tried was the spring rolls, while the worst was the "Asian" tofu salad, Which was ridiculously mislabeled as it only had 3 miniature bits of tofu in it, (also besides the microsopic amount of tofu, there was absolutely nothing asian about the salad). We also tried the marinara basil pizza which was pleasant, but not great. The Tortellini salad was well made and quite tasty, yet the mexican wrap was subpar. All the food was fairly inexpensive as it came to under 20 dollars for a meal for two including multiple appetizers. I would recommend if you live within 20 minutes of Cafe Dicocoa, that you should definitely check it out, but if you have to drive a half hour or more, I would recommed staying at home and cooking in your own vege kitchen.

Pros: Affordable, Only game in town

Cons: Staff was much friendlier to locals, Food is average, Not alot of choices for vegans

Return to Bethel Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe DiCocoa and Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1076 times since Aug 2007.