Cafe Deux Soleils

• Vegetarian
Contact 604-254-1195

2096 Commercial Dr (at East Vancouver), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada,

All vegetarian as of May 2010. Some items contain eggs and/or dairy; limited vegan options. One dessert item, the rice crispy square, may use marshmallows with gelatin. Casual atmosphere. Live music on weekends. Not affiliated with Cafe du Soleil. Holidays hours are 9 am-12 am.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out

First Review by philjdomm

Burnt fries again.. :( - Edit

I've been here MANY times because a lot of my friends actually perform here a lot on open mic nights and poetry slam. I really like this place for these reasons (sometimes they will charge you up to $10 cash when someone is playing there). It is a very noisy, crowded atmosphere during these nights, meaning less service and VERY hard to order food. Lots of pot smokers and smokers in general outside at this time as well. It is very nice to see the talent here though.
I noticed that even on days when these events aren't happening, I still disliked the food. First of all there are almost no vegan options and if there are, it's not really good. I have gotten burnt fries 6 times in a row from there and I have yet to get a decent batch... :/ Maybe I'm just unlucky..

Pros: The events (open-mic-night/poetry), Spacious seating on non-event days, Good food for vegetarians for brunch

Cons: Bad food, Almost no vegan options, Slow service on event nights

Good value for money, but not vegan-friendly - Edit

Cafe deux Soleils is a dark and rustic joint. It is not very vegan friendly, although I did find that my tofu scramble was quite tasty and offered good value for money. I also saw that they had smoothies made using vegan alternatives to milk.

Not a brilliant experience overall, but my food was OK.

Pros: good value for money

Cons: not many vegan options

ugg, no - Edit

a vegan dinner companion got some real cheese in her supposedly vegan salad, gross!
So was that incompetence or carelessness? either way, it sux.
My chili was decent, but unspectacular
I abhor hipsters, especially when their stereotypical apathy affects my vegan food
and its accompanying inattentive customer service
Shoddy vegan selection
My first, and very likely last visit as a vegan.
For vegans, don't bother; vegetarians, ok, I guess.

Cigarette smoke everywhere - Edit

I liked the vegan chili, though the place was cold, service was terribly slow, staff inattentive, unfriendly and apathetic and what should have been an enjoyable meal, was spoiled by all the smokers who stood right outside the front door or by the patio which had open windows, so all the smoke wafted inside the restaurant. This happened to me on three occasions and I definitely won't be going back!

Pros: Tasty chili, Free parking, Good location

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Poor service, Smokers everywhere

Terrible food, bad service - Edit

I have eaten at many restaurants in Vancouver and Toronto, and this one was one of the worst I've been to yet. Two friends and I went on an open mic night, and there were only two severs to take orders at the tables, rings in orders, serve the lineups at the counter and look after everything else the cook wasn't doing (when he was actually around). From time to time that staff would disappear somewhere, especially when we were waiting for a forgotten bits of our orders to be brought to our table.

Our food took more than an hour to get to our table, and that was after we were told several of the dishes were were interested in weren't available because they'd run out of the ingredients! When our food did arrive, it was cold, half-cooked, and poorly plated. The "French fries" were partly raw, slimy and tastelss paper-thin strips of potato. The plate of nachos chips we ordered came with a huge pile of chips with only raw bell peppers and onion tossed on them and tiny 1/8 cup containers of salsa and guacamole, which they had the nerve to charge us extra for despite us asking for no cheese on the chips. There were a couple of labeled vegan options on the menu, but the selction is very slim and disappointing.

It was also quite cold in the place and most people were wearing their coats and/or scarves and hats at their tables.

The only positive aspect I can think of about this restaurant is that it is a decent space for small events.

It has been around for a while, and I have heard that the brunch is not too bad. But it's far too expensive for the poor quality of food and service. I would rather go without eating than ever go back to Cafe Deux Soleils.

There is another Cafe De Soleil at 1393 Commercial Drive, and I hear it is a decent vegetarian restaurant (Cafe Deux Soleils serves meat) that I think may be confused with with Cafe Deux Soleils.

Pros: Large space

Cons: Terrible food, Bad service, Too expensive for such poor quality

Well, I suppose they knew what a vegan was! - Edit

After spending some time around Canada, I was relieved to see that I didn't have to explain what a vegan was. Finding a vegan option, well, that was a little bit more difficult! Fancy having vegan burgers, with non-vegan bread! Very disspointing options, salad anyone? I found the service was friendly, the food was good, but I wouldn't recommend it to fellow vegans.

Pros: fresh salad, service

Cons: not many options

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Deux Soleils closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3339 times since Aug 2007.