Tao Organics

Contact 604-971-5108

210-150 Esplanade West, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V7M 1A3

Offers raw cuisine using fresh produce, grains, nuts, and seeds. All vegan except for honey. Makes almond and coconut milks in-house. Has share plate options. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Chipkale

A gluten free raw vegan paradise - Edit

As a gluten free vegan I can tell you places like this are rare. You can eat "everything" on the menu.

All food is fresh, the prices are very reasonable and none of the dishes disappoint. Enjoy everything from pizza, nori rolls, wraps, soups or grab a quick smoothie or muffin and stroll through the Quay Market waterfront which is right behind Tao.

The atmosphere is cozy and zen with ample seating. There is a selection of retail items made in-house ready to go encase you enjoyed your meal so much you'll want to stock up..I know I do! Tao also offers online courses on how to make some of their most popular dishes.

Plenty of parking on the street or behind the building there is a parking lot.

Pros: All Gluten-free, Delicious healthy food, Retail section

False Advertising - Edit

They clearly say they are vegan but they sell cow's milk and honey. I had eaten here a few times before I discovered this and the desserts were good but the mains left me hungry. I would keep going but not until they either stop selling animal products or stop claiming to be vegan when they're not.

Should Perhaps Stick with Their Desserts... - Edit

I went here recently with an Omni friend and a Vegetarian friend, and while we enjoyed the food and atmosphere, we found some of them were not fulfilling, as my vegetarian and Omni friend were hungry quickly after - The pasta that they ordered was little more than a large plate of unflavoured raw zucchini with a few rolls of nut cheese... However, the lasagna that I ordered was excellent and filling, and the desserts were amazing! We tried three cakes and a cookie dough, and were blown away by the richness and delicious flavours!
We also ordered some juice, and while a bit expensive, they were good and satisfying. The staff were really friendly and pleasant, too!
I really wanted to enjoy everything on the menu, but the desserts were the only filling and worthwhile part, in our opinion...

Pros: Superior Desserts, Freshly Made, Helpful and Friendly Staff

Cons: Pricey, Some entree dishes not fulfilling

A Sustaining Meal - Edit

The welcoming space and very pleasant team aid in the dining experience. The food is wonderful and easy to order. The preparation is as 'as you order' ensuring freshness. The broad spectrum of healthy foods will leave you feeling full all day.

Pros: Great Food, Easy and Clear Menu, Great Food Value

Wonderful flavours - Edit

We went to Cafe by Tao today for the first time. It is on the other side of the bridge, so not very convenient, but now I know how good it is, we will make the trip again!
Wonderful and friendly service, Tao has a menu board and also a separate menu with photos. Perfect.
We had the soup of the say, which was cream of mushroom - it was out of this world. Very creamy with pieces of mushrooms mixed in. This was cooked though.
Then we had a slice of raw pizza and a portion of raw lasagna and for dessert a trio of crepes.
The lasagna were very fresh and flavourful, and the pizza very tasty but the most amazing part of the meal was the dessert.
The crepes were filled with marinated apples, dry fruit and nuts and had the most amazing coconut/maple cream on top.
They also sell homemade raw supplies so I could not help myself and stocked up on chickpea miso, coconut and maple sauce.
I highly recommend this place if you are in North Vancouver and like raw food.
PS: While they don't cook with honey, they do sell some raw honey and offer it as a sweetener for coffee/tea. They also sell bee pollen but again, do not use it in the food. The food is strict vegan, the shop is not.

Pros: Fresh and organic raw food, Free parking nearby, Friendly service

Just Wonderful - Edit

This place is a gem. Everything there is good, but I suggest trying the raw pizza, the lasagna, the crackers with dill nut cheese, and a couple of slices of their homemade cake (I like lucuma and mesquite the best so far!). Oh, and the kale chips are not to be missed. My non-vegan friends all love this place and it's at the top of their lists of Vancouver restaurants. The owner is fabulous, so sweet and just full of joy. You can also buy a lot of foods to go, such as the vegan burgers, the dill nut cheese, the kale chips, marinated mushrooms, and many dehydrated fruits (for much less than grocery store costs. The only complaint I have is that sometimes the meditative music is just too much, one long chime after another until you're too zoned out to talk to anyone. The days they play this I usually take my order to go and skedaddle. Also some of the other staff is a little reserved.

Pros: Fabulous and healthy mains, Fabulous and healthy desserts, Great foods to purchase and take home

Cons: Weird, disorienting music at times, Some staff could be friendlier

Great Raw Food Restaurant in North Vancouver - Edit

Two of us Turista Foodies - one Gluten-challenged, the other Vegan - tried this delightful restaurant after discovering it on the HappyCow website. The menu was most interesting, and the friendly helpful staff were quick to respond to questions that came to mind. We selected soups - one cold and other warm - followed by Rawkin Pizza, and Lasagna for Entrees, and a side of Kale Chips. Sweets were Lacuma and Double Chocolate cakes. Everything was perfect. Also had an opportunity to chat with Agat the owner/chef "en francais !" We'll be back when next in the city. Highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

Cons: rainy day outside

Go to Lonsdale Quay - Edit

A short ferry ride across Vancouver harbor then walk through waterfront park. Super friendly, relaxed atmosphere, totally vegan, fresh and delicious. Think Gorilla on the North shore. Nothing is too much trouble, just ask. And they have a very cool website.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 26, 2012

Pros: Like home away from home, Super friendly service, Sympathetic to animals

Return to North Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tao Organics closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2826 times since Aug 2012.