Cafe Botanika

Contact 2727091

7 Ulitsa Pestelya (at near Mukhinskoye Arts Institute), St Petersburg, Russia,

One vegetarian restaurants in St. Petersburg. Menu is in Russian and English. Offers tabouleh, hummus with red pepper, arugala salad with balsalmic dressing, tomato soup, and more. Has Wi-Fi and a children's play area. Mon-Sun 12:00pm-11:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Beer/Wine, Middle Eastern

First Review by Sapphire

Nice place to relax and enjoy food - Edit

This is a very nice café with a large selection of dishes from all over the world. Vegan options are clearly marked. Unfortunately there aren’t any Russian vegan items. The food tastes good. Staff is friendly and speaks English. During the day nice place to spend some time and recover from sightseeing!

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, lot's of choice, tasty food and drinks

Lovely cafe - Edit

This is one of the nicest cafes in St Petersburg, very homely and relaxed. Has a great menu (plus one in English) with a good selection of Russian, Italian, Asian or Mediterranean dishes. It might be limited on vegan desserts but in addition to the brownie it does have Figgy Delights! - little cakes made with figs and dates which are really tasty. Nice to have with coffee for afternoon tea. Staff are very friendly and always ready to help. Highly recommended!

Nice and neat, food is good and service friendly - Edit

Located just a few minute walk from the Mars-field Botanika stands in a really good place. Service was fast and friendly despite the rush hour I went. I have a gluten-free diet as well and waitress was kind to help me find food. Menu was in Russian and I ordered in Russian. Botanika offers Indian food, salads, soups and hummus and a lot more. I ordered some indian which was tasty and good. Homemade limonades are worth trying out, with honey or sugar. Atmosphere was warm and nice. I will totally visit again espesially during summer time the terrace offers a great place to eat out.

Pros: Friendly and fast service, Food is good and tasty

Cons: Not the cheapest one

Not good value for vegans - Edit

I understand that this is St Petersburg's old and traditional vegetarian place, but it's not good value for vegans. There are only a couple vegan options and they're nothing special. Only the almost only vegan dessert - chocolate brownie - was good.

Pros: location is pretty

Cons: not good value for vegans, not enough vegan options, food is nothing special

beautiful botanika - Edit

Botanika is one of the older vegetarian cafes in the city and it's an old favourite of mine. In the winter you pull back heavy velvet curtains and enter a cosy yet light space, round tables, delicate plants painted on the walls. The selection of teas is extensive and they are all quite remarkable. Glass teapots are balanced over candles keeping your tea warm. A huge menu of vegetarian and vegan dishes of various cuisines gives you so much to choose from! The food is DELicious, the curries, the carrot patties, the raw cheesecake!
The staff are young and lovely. There is a charming play area for kids.
In the summer they open up the terrace and you can sit in the sunshine admiring the church opposite. Botanika is located in a lovely area near the Fontanka river.
I love sitting here for hours on end with friends or even on my own.

Pros: excellent food, great atmosphere, no smoking

Cons: mostly vegetarian rather than vegan

Good atmosphere and very good food - Edit

The place is situated not far from Summer Garden in a nice area. Relaxing interior, good music and friendly staff. Food taste great, but the portions became a bit smaller, than a year or two ago. Not cheap, but fair money for the place. Brilliant kid's zone. Call for booking a table.

Pros: Well decorated interior, Friendly stuff, Good food

Cons: Once we had wi-fi problems here

A real find in St. Petersburg. - Edit

On a recent trip to St. Petersburg my friend and I were fortunate to find Botanika. It is conveniently located, not very expensive with a lovely atmosphere. It even has a play area for young children. I travel with a non-vegetarian who was equally happy with the cafe.

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, kid's play room

Super food, great service, relaxed atmosphere - Edit

This is a fantastic little place about 5 mins from the Summer Gardens. Wide choice of food, great quality when it came, healthy portion size and very tasty. Would highly recommend this to vegetarian/ vegans struggling with the general lack of fruit and veg in northern europe. Service was very good.

Pros: healthy global cuisine, nice atmosphere, good service

Good food! - Edit

I was here last summer. I have been to this restaurant 3 times, as I really thought it the best place in St. Petersburg for a vegetarian meal. The staff are very helpful and friendly and speak English. The food is good. Simple and tasty, and there's plenty of choice.

Excellent Choice for Vegetarians - Edit

One of the few bona fide vegetarian restaurants in the St Petersburg metro area, and easily the best meal of my visit. I had 4 small blini with honey (delicious), a bowl of borscht, and a soy wrap sandwich. Cost for the three dishes was 660 rubles (about $24)--not cheap, but it kept me full for the day. The interior decoration was hip and modern, and there was a separate two-level play area for kids. This place could relocate to California and compete there successfully.

A Jewel in this Crown City - Edit

While working aboard a cruise ship we stopped overnight in St. Petersburg for 8 nights, not consecutive. Each time we ported I beelined for this restaurant. My first time there a private wedding was taking place and the attendants were dancing and singing Krishna's praises. They invited us in to join and sing. Lovely tattoed Russian Hindus? sang and chanted together while we watched and then ate cake. We were delighted! Each visit was charming and brought more delights to our palates. Wonderful environment, delicious food and friendly staff (no English) made this a treasure on our Baltic itinerary. As a vegetarian with dairy and wheat allergies, they were able to deliver substantial and inviting food options. A MUST for St. Petersburg Vegan visitors.

Pros: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Raw

lovely refuge for cold days in April... - Edit

it's pretty hard to find decent vegetarian food in St. Peterburg. Though many restaurants have veggie options for cheaper prices this restaurant was our favorite. Lovely made dishes with lot's of regional food, nice teas and a friendly alternative atmosphere. The portions could be way bigger for their value on the other hand. Your best choice, if visiting SPB.

Pros: cosy, friendly stuff, central

Cons: no cheap, 2 small portions, no much alternatives

Tasty food and friendly people : ) - Edit

I really enjoyed the food at Cafe Botanika. Everything was fresh and tasty and I had a big choice of vegan dishes. I ordered Borshch and a falafel wrap with mint sauce and had tea - everything was cozy and nice. Only the prices were a bit high I found (paid around 18€ for everything), but that's just St. Petersburg I guess. Would definitely go there again.

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: not inexpensive

This has to be one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants anywhere. We enjoyed it so much that we ate there for lunch three times. I loved the Bohemian ambience of the place with olive green velvet sofas instead of chairs and reggae or New Age music playing in the background. Cafe Botanika has an English menu with vegan options clearly marked. Their offerings are international (e.g., Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, etc.). They have a wonderful selection of juices, too.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

Cons: can be hard to find

A real find in a city without many vegan options - Edit

A lovely little restaurant, nice food with a fair selection of vegan dishes (and many things that can be made vegan on request), good wine list and decent beer. Nice atmosphere and friendly staff. Definitely worth a visit.

Excellent Restaurant - Edit

This restaurant was so good we went back again. It had a nice atmosphere and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

There was a really good choice of food from different countries including local Russian cuisine. There are menus written in English and they list the ingredients which is useful in case of allergies. The prices were reasonable. We had a 2 course meal and a very large beer for under £20 for 2 of us.

The restaurant is about 15-20 minute walk from the main street Nevsky Prospekt but well worth making the effort.

Return to St Petersburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Botanika closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4613 times since Dec 2007.