Cafe Blossom - Upper West Side

212-875-2600

507 Columbus, New York City, New York, USA, 10024

Re-open Sept 2014 at this large space; previously at 466 Columbus Ave. Casual chic, certified vegan and parve cafe. Features the Norwalk juicing system. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Delivery, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by condekedar

great date night spot - Edit

Took my wife here and we had a great time. Love the decor and atmosphere of the place almost as much as the food :-). The beer/cocktail selection is great, full of organic selections. The menu is extensive and shows a great range of styles of food. Plus just around the corner from the museum of natural history and some good shopping.

Pros: delicious , atmosphere

3.5 stars - Edit

Great atmosphere, nice service, and relatively good food. I was expecting the food to be a little bit better for the expensive price we paid but it was overall a pretty good experience.

Vegan but... - Edit

I was in NYC for 2 weeks and made the rounds. I love that you are vegan. I was very disappointed in the food. I had the Quinoa Burger, which was cold, barely heated on the grill and sweet potato fries obviously reheated not fresh! All in all luke warm and limp, a terrible meal. The service did not seem at all invested in being vegan, was just a server serving food, and seemed a bit indifferent to my feedback. Would not return.

Cons: Cold reheated food, Apathetic server

the best - Edit

Such a cute place and the best vegan food. I wanted to order everything, but the things that I got were unbelievably amazing. By far the best vegan pizza I've ever had.

A nice place that charges $$$$ for some pretty good food. - Edit

This restaurant, thankfully, had enough seating room in it for normal people to have elbow room -- lots of places in NYC pack people in like the cattle they protect. There are some really creative things on the menu... but, what you get isn't really what you would expect. A cauliflower risotto didn't have any identifiable cauliflower. And had a bunch of stuff I did not recall from the menu. It seems like things are described to make them seem like a high end restaurant with oblique menu descriptions. The food, though, was pretty good. Not sure I would eat there again because it is fancier than I need and way more expensive thanI want to pay.

Loyal customers turned away hungry - Edit

My pregnant wife and I arrived at Cafe Blossom at 10:45 this evening. Having had our wedding catered by Blossom, we were excited and sentimental about visiting one of our favorite restaurant chains. We were a bit shocked when the host turned us away with a vague explanation that they had stopped seating 5 minutes earlier (even though their website clearly stated they were open until 11:00. I asked about local vegan options and the host told me he wasn't "from the area." We were left very hungry and disappointed. I can no longer trust Blossom. Very disappointing!

Cons: They refuse service earlier than they close. Very

No dry tempeh or soggy tofu here! - Edit

I dined at Blossom, an upscale organic, vegan restaurant on Columbus. From the moment you walk through the door, you are greeted with genuine happiness. From the waiters that actually want to be there, to the smiles on the diners faces, there's no way you could be sad at Blossom. I ordered the gluten free creamy Vegan Alfredo. The meatiness of the shiitake mushrooms combined with fresh herbs was delectable. As if that wasn't good enough, I had chocolate ganache for dessert. The rich chocolate paired with a creamy chocolate ice cream was a chocolate lovers dream. Blossom on Columbus was truly pure decadence.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-12

Was not expecting little serving - Edit

I ordered a latte and mushroom ravioli from the lunch menu. When the food arrived I was very surprised that I just ordered 3 raviolis for $14. I think the price should be $$$ at least. The taste wasn't anything to die for, it was just good. This is the only thing I've ordered so maybe they have better options.

Pros: Everything is vegan, Many options

Cons: Expensive, Small portion size

nice place to eat fresh vegan dishes - Edit

Service and foods are well in a great place

Lovely vegan meal - Edit

If was such a welcome treat to go to Blossom. The restaurant was big and still nearly booked on an early Friday evening (happy we made reservations!). They have a main menu and a seasonal menu as well. We had the mushroom scallops from the seasonal menu and they were delicious and uncannily like scallops. For mains, I had the seitan scaloppini which was basically like seitan piccata and delicious. With 4 pieces of seitan, I don't know how anyone wouldn't think this was a lot of food (plus truffled mashed potatoes and kale). The seasonal pasta dish with peas and a lemon, mustard miso sauce was a lighter option for my partner. Split the (tiny) cheesecake for dessert and it was lovely. Highly recommended

Blossom on Columbus - Edit

Our family of six came here for dinner after an afternoon at the Museum of Natural History, and we all enjoyed it. They have a separate menu for the kids, and the vegan grilled cheese with fries was loved by all. We ordered the two seasonal appetizers of trumpet mushroom scallops and spinach cashew crepes to share ~ both were amazing, and I think, the highlight of the meal. We also really loved the fettuccine Alfredo, which was a kid favorite as well. For desert, the kids enjoyed the chocolate cake, but the adults far preferred the chocolate ganache. Next time I would try a few of the pizzas, which looked loaded with great toppings, and the salads.

Pros: Kids menu, seasonal menu, pizza menu, bar, and loa

Cons: Desserts could use some work.

A Great Lunch - Edit

I ate here over the Christmas holidays and it was perfect. It wasn't busy and the server was very attentive. We all shared the nachos and nearly licked the plate clean. The fettucine alfredo I had was so filling and rich, I enjoyed every bite. We had a chocolate cake at the end of the meal which was just ok. Overall the experience was excellent, and I thought the prices were perfectly reasonable for the portions.

Pros: delicoius, great service, reasonable

Happy and disappointed at the same time - Edit

I came here with my husband. We knew Blossom from our previous trips to NYC. My husband had a soy bacon cheeseburger... Very good! He was happy and delighted. I had the savory seitan... Such a disappointing dish! Nothing special, small serving, the same dish I cook once a week home... And it was expensive. NOT a restaurant dish for sure! The vegan chocolate cake was amazing though. So... Good burger, amazing dessert, very bad main dish.

Pros: dessert , soy burger

Cons: seitan savory dish just bad , expensive for what you get sometimes

I've loved it! - Edit

I've really loved this place, it is small, with just a few seats, but the burgers are awesome and the shakes are from out of this world.
There's gluten free bread option.
Try the quinoa burger and the butterfinger milkshake (with almond milk).

So bad - Edit

Was so disappointed. Have been to other Blossom Resturants and they were so good. This one had very bad service, the food was not great at all as it always used to be. We came a long way and after this no more Blossom for us. this restuarant did not even looked clean

Sunshine on a cloudy day :) - Edit

My partner and I really like vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli, and so when planning our trip to NYC, we looked to her website, to see which restaurants she recommended. Cafe Blossom was on the list and close by to our hotel. What a great place! The menu was full of interesting choices (I wanted to order everything)! I ordered the vegan grilled cheese and tomato soup, so yummmmmmy! The hand cut fries are amazing too! My boyfriend ordered the southwest seitan sandwich, also tasty! It was a rainy, cold day in NYC and Cafe Blossom delivered comfort food by a friendly staff in a great atmosphere... made our sunshine for the day!
Updated from previous review on Monday December 22, 2014

Pros: friendly service, menu variety , atmospheric ambiance

Great dinner! - Edit

After a long day visiting NYC we decided to treat ourselves to a dinner in this beautiful cafe. It was quite late so we were happy they were still open. Amazing seitan scallopini and salmon tofu entrees followed by a tiramisu to die for. One memorable night. Very friendly staff.

Pros: Great food, Very friendly and professional staff

Not enough ingredients made in-house - Edit

I ordered bacon cheeseburger and the burger tasted like a frozen patty, the bun ok but not very fresh. For the price of the meal, I thought everything would have been made fresh.
My friend ordered a Port Wine Seitan. I tasted it and it was more like very fatty pork than a steak, and the wine wasn't cooked down enough. He thought the seitan was too soft and only ate the mushrooms on top.
Our appetizer of eggplant parm and Caesar salad were both very good.
All in all, ok for food but not for the price.

Pros: Flavors, Not Too Salty, Nice Atmosphere

Cons: Price, Food Prep A Bit Odd

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Blossom - Upper West Side closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.