Cafe Berlin

Contact 787-722-5205

407 San Francisco Street, Old San Juan (at Plaza Colón), San Juan, Puerto Rico,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers an extensive vegetarian menu that includes appetizers, tofu, soy meat, freshly baked breads, salads, fresh juices, vegan desserts, and beer. Brunch on Sunday. Serves also fish and poultry, no red meat. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Beer/Wine, Puerto Rican, Non-veg

First Review by VeganPike

Best Mofongo We Had - Edit

Cafe Berlin is located in old San Juan, so we planned to go here for lunch while exploring that area.

I ordered the Pastelon - which was a puerto rican lasagna with mashed plantains instead of pasta. It was very good. My boyfriend order the veggie mofongo.

We had a bit of a mofongo marathon while in PR - we had a total of 5 from different places, and this was by far the best. It was the 2nd most expensive though.

Pros: mofongo

Cons: expensive

Great Food! - Edit

Food was so good we had to come back multiple times. Came here for breakfast and dinner twice. We first came here on Sunday for brunch. They did not have the vegan french toast, but the vegan breakfast was very good and worth coming back for another meal. On our second visit we had an amazing dinner with delicious cocktails. So glad we got to try vegan mofongo! None of their desert options were vegan, but they improvised and made us a desert of plantains with a sweet cinnamon maple glaze. It was so amazing we came back again. Great location in Old San Juan.

Pros: Food was delicious, Service was great

Cons: Veg-friendly only

Soooooo many vegan options! - Edit

We were so excited to find CB while walking around Ild San Juan. They had soooooooo many vegan options that it was hard to decide so we ended up purchasing 5 dishes for 2 people and each was amazing. They had vegan breakfast options as well including scrambled tofu and French toast. The special was a vegan Benedict which I really should have tried! The spicy tacos with Caribbean rice were delicious! Definitely hit this spot. If you're short on time you may want to look elsewhere as it did take some time to get our food even though they weren't that busy but we fix the mind as we were enjoying the scenery on their patio. Great spot with something for everyone!

( I would have given it 5 stars but Happy Cow won't let me since this restaurant sells meat.)

Pros: a lot of vegan breakfast, lunch, and dinner option

Cons: a bit of a wait for food but just relax with a pas

More vegan options than expected - Edit

Being it was my first time in Puerto Rico, I was nervous about it lacking cool different vegan options that weren't just rice and beans and platano. This place had vegan mofongo that was to die for. They carry a vegan sandwich and tofu wrap as well. Food does take long, but I think people forget that good fresh food takes a minute to prepare. Reminder: People in Puerto Rico are very laid back (because they're island people) and take their time. Not a negative comment, just something people should consider and understand. But to the point! Highly recommend this place and the yucca mofongo!

Pros: Freshly made food, Food had a lot of flavor, Place is comfortable and cute

Cons: It takes a minute to prepare good fresh food, Prices are a bit high for the portions, Didn't get enough chips with my wrap

Extremely long wait, decent veg options - Edit

I went there for an early dinner when it wasn't crowded at all. There are several vegetarian and vegan options, including a vegan mofongo (traditional Puerto Rico dish), which I ordered. It look over an hour for my meal to come, and each time I asked about the status, the server kept saying 5 minutes. He wasn't even apologetic. Because it wasn't crowded, it was unreasonable for the food to take so long. The food is overpriced, but good.

worth five stars even though not all vegan - Edit

We
Had a wonderful meal here with friends I ends. Pleasant service and comfortable atmosphere. Outside seating on the street was available but we ate inside. They gave a few specialty drinks which were good, but go there for the food. We ate two of the vegan specials, but there are also options for vegetarians and carnivores. We had the guava loaf and the vegan Puerto Rican mofongo.

Pros: friendly , fresh made , vegan choices

Cons: high price

Vegan dishes with local charm - Edit

Very nice local dishes made vegan. Friendly staff. Open air patio puts one in evening breezes. you won't be disappointed

Pros: Several vegan options

Cons: Maybe a little pricey, but food is good

A gem in Old San Juan - Edit

A beautiful restaurant full of charm & character with a very good service & wonderful food( several vegan options & even a dessert!) Perfect for a date or a celebration. A price is a little high( though that's normal for that part of SJ) but the quality of food is well worth it. We loved everything about it!

Excellent for Vegetarians - Edit

With a very clearly marked vegetarian/vegan area of their menu, and an expert staff, this is a highly recommended place. Outside seating overlooking a town square, great drinks, and good service benefit Cafe Berlin.

Pros: Vegetarian menu with great choices , Friendly and very knowledgable staff, Gorgeous and clean outside seating

Cons: A little pricey , Vegans beware- not always vegan breads , Not many gluten-fee options

Good vegetarian options - Edit

Cafe Berlin has a large & well marked vegetarian menu & staff are knowledgeable. Located in Old San Juan, it is close to things to see & do. We had Spicy Tacos, Criollo Tofu & a mojito, & were satisfied with the service & food. Prices are slightly on the high end. I recommend dining here.

Pros: good variety of food, good service

Cons: expensive

Great Food, Great Atmosphere - Edit

Loved this place, perfect date night place. The ambiance is very nice and the food is great. LOVED the zucchini, lime, mint drink. There are a lot of vegetarian options on the menu, I was impressed.

Pros: Food quality, Location

Wonderful! - Edit

We ate here three times during our stay in Puerto Rico. The coconut-tomato tofu was delicious as was the Mofongo. Also had the vegan breakfast and the vegan French Toast. Superb! First night I had the vinaigrette tofu sandwich. Also good, but nothing compared to breakfast and the coconut-tomato tofu dish.
Everyone was well versed in the vegan options and if they didn't know they asked the chef.
Last night eating here we wanted the vegan carrot cake to celebrate our anniversary. They were out; however, the chef was kind enough to make a special vegan crepe with fruit, dark chocolate and delicious coconut whipped cream.
Highly recommend! Great location too and about the only restaurant in Old San Juan that's open late and consistently throughout the week and weekend!

Pros: Vegan Options, Knowledgeable Staff, Food! Taste & presentation were superb!

Cons: Can be slow if busy.

A Must Destination in Puerto Rico - Edit

As an extremely selective customer I am not easy to wow however, Cafe Berlin did.
Excellent service, exceptional food, in an old spainsh world town. it is hard to beat.
From plate presentation to taste the food was wonderful. Well worth the time searching for a parking spot.
Go and experince for yourself the fusion of tasty Puerto Rican spices with healthy entrees'.

Pros: Food, Service, Ambience

Cons: Parking

Few, but Tasty - Edit

There are a decent number of dishes (at least 6 entrees) in the Vegetarian section of the menu, but some elements may be non-vegan - you'll have to ask. Fortunately, my waiters on both visits were fluent in English and understood "vegan" so was able to identify these for me.

I enjoyed their dinner and lunch (once each) - would've eaten there more, but was staying out on a resort near Luquillo, a bit far from Old San Juan.

If you want to try vegan versions of traditional Puerto Rican foods (e.g., mofongo), this is the place for you. I had a Veggie Guava loaf and one of the tofu dishes (I forget which), which were both tasty, along with at least one substitute for non-vegan side. The atmosphere is nice, kinda artsy & relaxed, and it's near the center of town, including a square that features frequent performances.

FYI, if you're vegan and you want to eat out (especially if your Spanish is bad), this is a great option to have, as the island is not very vegan-friendly.

Note: this is from my visit in September, 2013 (getting to this review late).

Pros: atmosphere, nice, vegan-knowledgeable staff, tasty, traditional dishes

Cons: parking is tough (Old San Juan)

Vegetarians like tofu, right? - Edit

The veg section of the menu is mostly marinated tofu dishes. The one we got had uninspiring slices of soft tofu in a VERY good sauce. (I prefer tofu with more texture.) The bean & rice side was nicely seasoned - I could have eaten a whole bowl of that!

We also got a wrap which was full of subtle flavors, none of which I could taste after the first bite, which included a large piece of very strong raw red onion. :(

We got a piece of vegan banana cake, too. It's not a sweet cake with icing; it's more of a moist spice cake. It was a fairly small piece, but reasonable pricing given what I've spent on other vegan treats, and better tasting than many.

Maybe it's not a go-out-of-your-way destination restaurant for vegans, but it is a good place to eat when you're in Old San Juan.

Pros: Convenient tourist location, Good flavors

Return to San Juan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Berlin closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.