Cafe Below

+44-20-73290789

Cheapside, St. Mary-le-Bow Church, London, England, EC2V 6AU

Serves meat, vegan options available. Formerly all vegetarian but no longer Nov 2011. Located in the heart of the city and has a separate coffee/tea bar. Resides in the crypt of an old church that was rebuilt after the great fire of London in 1666. Well presented food. Offers a hot main dish each day, plus soups, desserts, and large salads. The prices are reduced for take away orders and if you dine-in at off-peak hours. Breakfast until 11:30 each day. Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-10:00am, 11:00am-2:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Non-veg

First Review by veganmiss

No longer veg friendly - Edit

I went to Cafe Below last week for lunch with my work colleagues. Veggie options were not marked in the menu so I asked if any was vegan. The waiter seemed a bit annoyed and pointed me to the veg casserole. None of the 4 starters or desserts was vegan. Their star dish was lamb, which was sold out.
The veggie casserole was over cooked and watery. Just don’t go. This place should no longer be listed here.

Pros: venue

Cons: only one vegan option when I visited, options not marked on the menu, bland food

AMAZING location, perfect date set up with vegan options - Edit

Beautiful amazing place! You're underneath In the old church, but they had great light, dimmed but not too much and serving was good. It's a perfect place to go with your meater (meat-eater) boyfriend for a romantic dinner. They have a vegan and a vegetarian starter (vegan is gazpacho and vegetarian is flatbread with syrup and something else) 2 main courses, a hummus falafel plate or a curry. I had the curry and the food was okay, not that amazing. It tasted fine, but no more. It's a fine meal, but they could advance it and make it more special, it's pretty basic I'm glad I went because it was a cosy and beautiful experience, with a nice and helpful staff. It's very romantic and a PERFECT date place.
For 2 persons with a starter and a main dish, plus water it was 50 pounds.

Pros: the venue , the staff , the experience

Cons: food could be more advanced , only 4 starters, main dishes and deserts

Veg Options in a Crypt - Edit

A really interesting find is Cafe Below (formerly The Place Below). It is in the crypt of a church, St. Mary-le-Bow. Lucky me, I was taking an architecture class and my tutor took me right to the church! No searching for me. Anyways, it's a vegetarian cafe/restaurant in the crypt of this very old church. Creeppy! Guess we should not praise seitan then, huh?

Their menu changes daily, so get ready to be surprised!

For a completer review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2009/03/veg-london-part-two.html

Pros: vegan friendly, amazing atmosphere

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Below closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.