Cafe Below

Contact 020-73290789

Cheapside, St. Mary-le-Bow Church, London, England, EC2V 6AU

Serves meat, vegan options available. Formerly all vegetarian but no longer Nov 2011. Located in the heart of the city and has a separate coffee/tea bar. Resides in the crypt of an old church that was rebuilt after the great fire of London in 1666. Well presented food. Offers a hot main dish each day, plus soups, desserts, and large salads. The prices are reduced for take away orders and if you dine-in at off-peak hours. Breakfast until 11:30 each day. Open .

Category: Lacto, Ovo, English, Non-veg

First Review by veganmiss

AMAZING location, perfect date set up with vegan options - Edit

Beautiful amazing place! You're underneath In the old church, but they had great light, dimmed but not too much and serving was good. It's a perfect place to go with your meater (meat-eater) boyfriend for a romantic dinner. They have a vegan and a vegetarian starter (vegan is gazpacho and vegetarian is flatbread with syrup and something else) 2 main courses, a hummus falafel plate or a curry. I had the curry and the food was okay, not that amazing. It tasted fine, but no more. It's a fine meal, but they could advance it and make it more special, it's pretty basic I'm glad I went because it was a cosy and beautiful experience, with a nice and helpful staff. It's very romantic and a PERFECT date place.
For 2 persons with a starter and a main dish, plus water it was 50 pounds.

Pros: the venue , the staff , the experience

Cons: food could be more advanced , only 4 starters, main dishes and deserts

Veg Options in a Crypt - Edit

A really interesting find is Cafe Below (formerly The Place Below). It is in the crypt of a church, St. Mary-le-Bow. Lucky me, I was taking an architecture class and my tutor took me right to the church! No searching for me. Anyways, it's a vegetarian cafe/restaurant in the crypt of this very old church. Creeppy! Guess we should not praise seitan then, huh?

Their menu changes daily, so get ready to be surprised!

For a completer review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2009/03/veg-london-part-two.html

Pros: vegan friendly, amazing atmosphere

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Below closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3122 times since Dec 2011.