Atma

+44-2920390391

Unit 20, Capitol Centre, Queen St, Cardiff, Wales, CF10 2HQ

Hare Krishna run ahimsa vegetarian cafe and lifestyle lounge. Serves a range of burgers and wraps, along with more traditional dishes and vegan desserts. Wi-Fi available. Relocated from Church St. Open Mon-Sat 12:00-18:00. Closed Mon.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Western, Take-out

First Review by julianne

jaharris363

Points +22

14 Nov 2019

Amazing burgers - Edit

Relaxed atmosphere, tasty food and very friendly.

MikeDavies

Points +119

16 Jul 2019

Such a lovely place in the city centre - Edit

Lovely service great food and reasonable price.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices

KB

Points +381

13 Jun 2019

The Best Way To Keep Body And Soul Together - Edit

Stepping into Atma from the busy streets of Cardiff is like walking into a peaceful, feel-good, spiritually-uplifting pit-stop on the road of life. A calm place to re-fuel by consuming some great food, while reflecting on who we are, where we are going, or whatever else you want to think or talk about. The staff are friendly and courteous, and there's a nice atmosphere that immediately makes you feel comfortable, whatever the day is doing outside. There's a wide range of vegan (clearly marked or otherwise indicated) and vegetarian fare on offer, including (importantly for me) some super cakes. I've been here several times before, and learned that the Heavenly Spiced Chai (vegan version) will instantly improve my consciousness. For my meal I chose The Supersoul Special, consisting of the curry of the day (spinach, chickpea, and aubergine in a tomato sauce), dahl, basmati rice, salad, and a flat bread. For dessert I had a delicious slice of cake. I was fully satisfied with my meal, relaxed, and ready to continue with my day. Thank you, Atma. I'll shall return!

Updated from previous review on 2019-06-13

Pros: Plenty of vegan options. Any dairy is ahimsa., Comfortable, relaxing environment; great staff., Plently of really delicious cakes.

jon_howes

Points +44

13 Jan 2019

Great find - Edit

Lovely place with a lot of vegan options.
Very reasonable prices

Pros: Friendly staff

Frogalina

Points +560

16 Dec 2018

Tasty food and a chilled vibe - Edit

This was the perfect stop for us at the end of a day out Xmas shopping in Cardiff. Nearly everything is vegan. (They serve their 'ahimsa milk' products which is from a herd of cows they feel are treated ethically). Our wraps were really delicious and the mango lassie was awesome. They also sell vegan chocolate which was the best ever - wished we'd stocked up while we were there. It's got a relaxed vibe and the staff are lovely - a real gem.

kiiabby

Points +275

18 Nov 2018

Quiet little spot in the city centre! - Edit

This is a lovely little place for lunch in the city centre. It’s normally super quiet and calm in there so a perfect break from the busy streets. I opted for the daal and found it to be really lovely and had that homemade feel to it. I also adored the vegan mango lassi they offer so definitely grab a glass of that when you visit too!

pacmantoo

Points +34

26 Aug 2018

Very nice curry and burger - Edit

We shared two meals. One was a pea and brocolli green curry with a hint of coconut, brown lentil dhal and rice. The other a homemade pattie in bun, salad, nachos and hummus. The curry definitely the better dish. The hummous slightly lacking in oil (a bit watery) Rooibos chai and soya milk lassie - both slightly too sweet for me.

Pros: Good basic vegan grub, Free water, Take away available

Cons: Drinks are set - and bulk produced in advance , So they can't make a rooibos with soya milk :-(, Not solely vegan (being Hare Krishna, into dairy)

CatharineMarie

Points +504

18 Aug 2018

Nice option in the city centre - Edit

Cafe Atma has changed loads over the years. Originally on Crwys Road it was a great place for coffee and cake (with savory options too). It then moved into the city center but the staff was really hit or miss and borderline rude. Food was also sometimes great sometimes not. It’s now in the Capitol and I’ve been twice there now. Had the super soul special both times which was really good. Cakes and cookies look really good but I haven’t tried them yet. Staff has been great both times so hopefully they are over that hiccup now! Atmosphere is lovely and cosy. The one thing that bothers me is that they go on about their “cruelty free milk” on social media which as we (most of us on here I guess) know isn’t a thing. But it’s worth a try if you’re in town!

Pros: Inexpensive, Nice curries, Good selection of cakes and cookies

Cons: Advertise cruelty-free milk on social media

tadaa718

Points +71

28 Mar 2018

very nice - Edit

Had the curry and daal here and liked both very much. All dishes are vegetarian and can be made vegan. Mango Lassi was delicious. Very nice staff as well

justcallmeeej

Points +67

Mostly Veg
14 Dec 2017

Nice veggie lunch spot - Edit

Great range of vegetarian and vegan dishes at a good price. Healthy food and great location in town.

Pros: Healthy food, Great central location , Reasonable prices

Cons: Quite dark inside

VeganBenson

Points +40

22 Nov 2017

Lovely food, big shop - Edit

I was looking for somewhere to get a hot drink and a cake, and I’m vegan so that’s often easier said than done! I actually stumbled across the cafe, which was lucky as the Capitol centre has fairly low footfall. I chose the special drink, which was a chai sort of thing which was quite spicy, and really nice. I then chose the chocolate cake which was nice, but had a little too much buttercream. It wasn’t the cheapest coffee and cake I had ever had, but seemed to be reasonably priced. There was a wide selection of hot lunches, wraps and cakes available, and also a small selection of cruelty free products to purchase.

The staff were friendly and chatty, but I had come in to listen to a podcast and make notes, I didn’t really want to be interrupted as a staff member tried to speak to me to ask me to promote the cafe. I can’t hear well at the best of times, and I didn’t hear her for a while (because of my headphones) and it made me feel awkward when I realised she was talking to me. I get the impression that it is a very friendly place, which is fab, so I probably shouldn’t be complaining.

The shop is really large, which means there is loads of space, but it can feel a bit impersonal. I don’t think they have been in the unit long though, so will likely spend some time doing it up over the next few months. One door opens out onto the street, and it was draughty. I wouldn’t have wanted to sit close to the door.

I would definitely go back if I were in Cardiff, and would have liked to have been hungry enough to properly try lunch. The lady at the counter said that everything was either vegan or had a vegan option, so loads of choice!

Pros: lots of choice, friendly

Cons: large draughty shop

Xeni

Points +47

02 Mar 2017

very Nice vegan Indian food - Edit

cute, cozy, simple delicious lunch place

Pros: most on the menu can be veganized, good service an

harlekwin42

Points +277

06 Feb 2017

great place - Edit

I go to this place every time I visit Cardiff. The food is made with care, served with smiles. Its very reasonably priced, nutritious and most importantly it's delicious.

Pros: great food, welcoming staff, reasonably priced

bovinelover

Points +61

25 Jan 2017

Friendly but chilly! - Edit

I ate here in mid-January and sat on the settee at the front of the restaurant. The door doesn't close properly and every time someone came or went the area got colder (this might be an advantage in summer!)
As usual with hare krishna run places the staff were very helpful and the food was cheap and the [vegan] pie, chips and salad that I ate were excellent.
If you go in winter, try and sit near the back of the restaurant!

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-25

Pros: Friendly, cheap and committed to cows, Nice vegan food available

Cons: Draughty and layout could be better, Rather slow service

suzycourage

Points +81

13 Dec 2016

Great Vegan food available - Edit

Calm, gentle atmosphere offering also vegan selections, centrally located near The Castle and shopping area.
Excellent vegan selections of ample amounts !

Pros: Wonderful "beet burger" best ever..., Nice group of gentle servers, The best "french fries" ever..

aphextwin2002

Points +29

30 Nov 2016

awesome burgers - Edit

The Seitan burger was brilliant. Very reasonable prices, great location, very close to the centre, castle and university. Highly recommended.

MillieBirch

Points +100

14 Oct 2016

lovely little gem - Edit

lots of vegan options. the atma burger is the best burger in town. portions are huge. the interior is a bit sparse and not like their previous cafe. but the food is absolutely delicious. staff are wonderful and always happy to help. great to have a vegetarian place in the town centre!

Pros: vegan food, big portions, delicious

NicholaCharlotte

Points +16

06 May 2016

Wonderful people and food! - Edit

I live in Cardiff and this lovely cafe has lit up a corner of Cardiff for me. If you fancy delishious food and a warm easy-going atmosphere I could not recomend it more!

Pros: Lovely staff, Tasty food, It offers more than just food

blossominggaia

Points +40

26 Apr 2016

lovely! - Edit

The staff here are so kind and lovely to talk to. The food was good and serves quickly, just what you need when you're hungry and on the go. The restaurant is large but cosy with Hare Krishna books for sale and yoga/meditation.

konlish

Points +3184

22 Dec 2015

Nice Burger - Edit

We had the Vegan Babu Burger, Chips and Noodels. I liked the burger patty it's quite nice. The chips were good too. I did not like the noodels. It seemed to lack flavour.

The cafe is spacious and cosy.

Pros: Vegan Options, Spacious and Cozy for a Café

Cons: Had dairy products

Alyson

Points +568

20 Nov 2015

Tasty and simple - Edit

Branded as 'street food', this is a very central venue. I was served quickly, and I think all, or nearly all, the main meals were vegan. The menu was: curry, noodles, burger, veg skewers, quesadillas (sp?), dahl etc. Plus a selection of cakes. The carrot cake was vegan and yummy.

You can eat in or take away. My own small issue is that even if you eat in the food is served on (compostable) single-use trays and cutlery. What's wrong with plates, or the lovely stainless steel that other HK places use? Probably more environmentally friendly than throw-away stuff.

Pros: Range, Tasty, Central Cardiff

Cons: Throw-away trays

uuiiioo

Points +35

19 May 2015

Fantastic! - Edit

I've only been once so far, but I'm in love and will definitely be back! They have a good rage of vegan food available and it's all delicious!

It's right next to a bus stop on a busy road, so it's easy to get to.

Pros: Excellent food & great value, Friendly staff & lovely vibe, Easily accessible

claire lille

Points +64

13 Sep 2014

Great vegan cake - Edit

Lovely place to eat with friendly people. The dinner was good but cake wonderful.

Pros: Great cake, friendly staff, Nice inside

DinahDinah

Points +22

01 Aug 2014

My favourite place! - Edit

I cannot recommend Cafe Atma highly enough.
All dishes are vegetarian with no egg, and almost all can be made vegan.
Really good value for money too.
Best veggie burgers around!

Pros: Lovely staff, Wonderful dishes, Low cost

Rachelsmum

Points +29

25 Oct 2013

Veggie and vegan paradise - Edit

I've had two meals in Cafe Atma and they were both fabulous! The staff are really friendly and there is a lovely atmosphere. They are open Monday to Saturdays and have meditation and other activities in the evenings. It's a great place to meet like-minded people.

Ilse1973

Points +24

24 Oct 2013

Best veggie burger ever! - Edit

I've been eating veggie burgers for 20 years now and sadly I've had some of the meat variety before that, but these top them all. Scrumptious, moist, delicious!

We had the Atma meal, the veggie burger meal and I could not resist and had some cake. We polished it off. We had no plans to come back to Cardiff any time soon, but we will now, just to stop by Atma again to have something to eat.

The opening hours have changed though. From the top of my head it's 11:00 - 20:00.

Pros: Brilliant food, Ever so friendly, Good price

julianne

Points +44

14 Mar 2011

very zen!!! - Edit

Cafe Atma is really cute and well designed. I had the indian wrap and then a cheescake and some cookies and hot chocolate. I was hungry!! They were all really great and cheap too. I really recommend this place. There is internet and the staff are friendly, helpful and let you chill!!

Pros: food, decor, atmosphere

Cons: opening hours

Return to Cardiff Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Atma closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.