Cafe Affenbrot

Contact 0451-72193

Kanalstr 70, Lübeck, Luebeck, Germany, 23552

Extensive breakfast menu, a lunch special for around 5 euro, sandwiches, coffees (with soymilk option), and non-vegan desserts. EC cards accepted. Mon-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food

First Review by Elven

nice veggie place in Lübeck - Edit

I travel to Lübeck quite often as I have family members living there. Going to Café Affenbrot has become somewhat of a tradition, since it is one of the few places in Lübeck that serves vegetarian and vegan food. I would recommend it, it is very nice and the food is delicious.

Pros: delicious food, veggie and vegan

Cons: sometimes too noisy

Classically good food and good attitudes - Edit

I ate there serveral times and I´ve always ordered the burger menu with fries and salad which is classically good! The dish is served in a loving nature, the atmosphere is nice and personal. Love their political attitude shown in "refugees welcome"- stickers and so on and that they use mostly organic and local products.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere, good attitudes

Cons: can be crowded sometimes

loved it, would eat here every day - Edit

Went here today - a lunch time Sunday. This is a large cafe with indoor and outdoor seating. It feels typically green/eco/veg/alternative. Staff were friendly. I had the vegimenu burger...super tasty and a very generous serving. Ordered hummus on the side tho and this was not so good, just tasted like mashed chick peas. But overall I loved it so much it gets 5 stars from me. The burger patty was absolutely delish.

Pros: burger, size of serving, staff and venue

Cons: hummus

Nice - Edit

Nicely located, you can sit outside as well. The menu changed in-between: It's vegetarian, but vegan options on request. In the past there was a vegan chapter on the menu.

All in all more extended snacks then dishes, but tasty. Coffee and other beverages are organic.

Friendly staff.

Pros: Quality, Price

A small haven for vegans - Edit

It is really rare to find a place that takes the time and attention to prepare 'true' vegan food, and this cafe surley does that. they have 5 special options for main dishes which are 100% vegan, all are delicious, plus a soup and salads. also great cakes with some vegan options. In short- we kept coming almost each day of our vacation to Haffenbrot, which sums our positive experience there. really recommended

Pros: delicious 100% vegan options on menu, good value, friendly staff

Good food, great service - Edit

Four of us enjoyed our dinner at this restaurant. Two of us had their veggie burger meal, which came with great fries and a small green salad. It was filling, tasty, and totally worth the price. One of us had a salad for dinner, and she was pleased, the other also had a burger. If we find ourselves in Lubeck again, we would definitely return to this restaurant!

a nice candle-lit meal without meat! - Edit

it has been some years since I found a really inviting location to enjoy veggie food so Cafe Affenbrot (Monkey Bread!) was a great surprise. The Menu included a lovely fresh pumpkin soup with wholemeal (monkey?) bread and some really yummy tempura vegetables with a delicious sauce. There is also a midday offer with a different special dish every day The candlelight made it all the more special of course. As soon as it gets warmer will be back to sit on the very inviting terrace.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 29, 2011

Pros: great atmosphere, lovely food, friendly service

Cons: none I noticed

really just vegetarian - Edit

I thought it could be easy to have vegan options for a vegetarian restaurant but the Cafe Affenbrot just offered two vegan dishes - when I've been there...

The taste was ok but nothing special and too expensive for not getting filled.

I decided not to go there anymore...

Cons: few vegan options, pricy, nothing special

2 stars - Edit

when I read "vegetarian" I think of healty food but it's not what I've found in the cafe affenbrot. there were seitan and tofu (which I didn't find elsewhere). I don't remember the name of my plate, but there were only arugula and fried tofu. there are endless ways to cook tofu and seitan. fried, is the worste. and it's unhealty. the plate was poor and I was still hungry. my girfriend was unhappy as well. I spent about 18 euro for.. nothing. I ate better at the last floor of the karlstadt (centre of lubeck). a self service restaurant with vegetarian soup, legumes, fresh vegetables, pasta.. there was also meat and fish, but there were many vegetarian choice. and it was cheaper than cafe affenbrot.

Nice and friendly vegetarian bistro, vegan options - Edit

A very nice vegetarian "bistro" type restaurant with a food selection of vegetarian small dishes. Of course there could be more vegan dishes and it would be great if those were specifically marked on the menu, but there was a decent selection and the dishes themselves were quite tasty.

The waitresses were friendly and the time it took for the food to arrive was also ok. Prices are fair. Definitely a place that can be endorsed to fellow vegans who happen to come to the lovely city of Luebeck.

Pros: Good food, friendly staff, wide selection of coffees/teas

Cons: most dishes include dairy/eggs, surcharge for soymilk instead of cowmilk

Nice vegetarian bistro - Edit

Nice and easy restaurant. After reading the reviews, we were expecting a 'bistro' kind of place, not some fancy Michelin-restaurant, and that is what we got. Service was friendly, maybe a bit slow. Place was cosy. Toys for kids both inside and outside. Food was quite good, and well worth the money. My husband is vegan, and it was not a problem to prepare his food dairy free; tomato soup was served without cream. (Most dishes did contain cheese or other dairy products.)
Tofuburger was quite small, but that was mentioned on the menu, and it cost only 4 €, so I it was not a supprise. The burger was a little 'dry'.

Excellent. - Edit

I live in Denmark and any time I'm passing even anywhere near Lübeck I will make sure to stop just to go to Cafe Affenbrot. I've always found the staff incredibly friendly, the food good, large portions and the prices fair. They don't have many vegan options though. An English menu is available on request.

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff, Hearty food

Cons: Few vegan options

Crafts Fayre Atmosphere - Edit

Wasn't expecting much based on reviews but a train trip to beautiful Lubeck was essential whilst in Hamburg. The cafe is fairly easy to find at the other end of town to the Hbf (train station). It's accessed either through a small shopping centre or at the main entrance on the other side. Staff are OK, not overtly friendly but not unfriendly. The menu is quite extensive with daily specials, burgers, pizzas, salads, omelettes, baked cheeses, hot and cold drinks, wines & beers. The tofu burger was very small (2 spicy balls in a small bun) but tasty. The mushrooms in white wine sauce with salad and garlic bread was satisfactory but more like something you'd get as a vegi option at a wedding perhaps. The atmosphere here is a bit like a boring crafts shop, people coming and going and just being functional. Glad I went but wouldn't go back.

Pros: soya milk

Cons: limited vegan, pricey, atmosphere

Disappointment - Edit

My husband and I walked 25 minutes in the pouring rain to this restaurant, I was so happy to find a vegetarian restaurant in this small town. We walked in to find the walls vibrating from the punk concert next door. I would have tolerated it but the rudeness of the server and the atmosphere of the restaurant turned us right off. We decided to leave and head to the Italian restaurants across from the Holstentor Gate where we had to eat for the 3 days that we were there.

Cons: Atmosphere, Rude Staff

Not very vegan friendly - Edit

The only vegetarian place we knew of in Lübeck, they don't have many vegan options, and what we did have was fairly bland. The portions were too small for a proper meal, good (but expensive) for a snack. The staff were a bit rude as well.

cheese, cheese ,cheese! - Edit

I have tried this place a few times in the hope it would become more vegan friendly. They eventually brought in soy milk which helped but they became less and less accomodating when it came to the issue of cheese. The last time I visited I recieved nothing but contempt from the waitress when I simply asked if it was possible to leave cheese off the meal. They have recently updated their menu and it seems that the portions have gotten smaller and the price higher. I will not be going there again. It is a good vegetarian restaurant, but there are other places in the city which are alot more vegan friendly.

Pros: perfect for cheese lovers, Soy Milk

Cons: not vegan friendly, not friendly

Affenbrot - Edit

This place is easy to reach on foot when exploring the historical centre of Luebeck. Vegan dishes are rare and the tofu sandwich I had was not very spectacular. The vegan soy milk shake was great though! For such a big place it is surprising that the toilet is shared with the neighbouring shops. To visit the toilet you need to pick up a key from one of these shops.

Pros: nice atmosphere, great vegan shake

Cons: not many vegan choices, average sandwich

Monkey's bread - Edit

.. that's what the name of this extraordinary place means. Hidden at the back of Luebeck's old city center, it has a nice menu offering a large variety of dishes. The burgers, omelettes, sandwiches, soups, pies and quiches might not exceed "fastfood" or "snack" status, but the food is good and fresh, and the portions enormous. Vegans will be disappointed because nearly everything is smothered in grilled cheese ("ueberbacken", typical German-style). This also makes the dishes rather heavy on the stomach. Also many fresh juices and ice-cream. Nice and friendly service and the only vegetarian option in Luebeck.

Pros: Nice environment, Lots of choice, Giant portions

Cons: Nothing vegan on the menu, Too much cheese

Return to Luebeck Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Affenbrot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2107 times since Aug 2007.