Cafe 821

• Veg-friendly
Contact 804-649-1042

825 W Cary St (at Cherry St), Richmond, Virginia, USA, 23230

Serves meat, vegan options available. Eclectic, homey atmosphere. Veg choices include fried artichoke sub, vegan chili, and buffalo tofu sandwich.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by smylly

Great atmosphere, buffalo tofu sandwich is INSANE - Edit

I love this place - the staff are extremely friendly and there's always a really warm vibe. The Buffalo Tofu sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches in the world. The Vegan Chicken Salad is great and can be added onto other salads for an upcharge. The specials are cool, beer selection is great, and out door seating in warm weather.

Pros: Buffalo Tofu sandwich, Vegan desserts, Friendly staff

Cons: Their "Chicken" is kind of rubbery, Could always use more veggie options

Good stuff - Edit

Fairly good number of vegan options, good service. This place is a cool joint. I liked the thin pasta. However there should be more gluten free options.

Pros: choice, pasta, service

Cons: not enough gluten free

Excellent vegan Selections, and They Deliver - Edit

I stayed at a hotel downtown and decided to try this place because I am vegan, and they deliver. I ordered the Buffalo Tofu Sandwich, which was so good that I ordered it twice. The first time I opted for onion rings, where excellent, the second time I asked for fried artichoke hearts (as a separate side), which were unbelievably good. The herbed orzo was a disappointment (did the job, just not amazing), but overall, if what I ordered is any indication of the quality of the other vegetarian items on the menu, I will definitely order from this place again if I am ever in Richmond.

ACTUALLY... I was just informed that the Buffalo sauce AND the onion rings are NOT vegan, but I am certain the fellow I spoke with over the phone when I was there said they were vegan. So if you're vegan... BEWARE.

Finally, I am extremely grateful that they deliver. If you are staying downtown, there is almost nothing for vegetarians (many restaurants downtown don't even have a single vegetarian dish on the menu, although most will make one if you ask), and many places either close early or open late or are not opened at all on the weekends, so the fact that they are one of the few vegan-friendly places that deliver is hugely helpful.

Pros: Good Value, Friendly Staff

Cons: Need More Veggie Meat Analogues, Staff about vegan selections, Not vegan

Tahini Garlic dressing of my dreams - Edit

I seriously have dreams about this Tahini Garlic Dressing! It is that good. Hubby is omni and he loves to come here with me so this is an easy date night choice for us.

I have had the black bean burger, the "chicken" salad sandwich and the "chicken" satays. All were quite good, but I prefer the last two items the most.

The pace of service is not always what one would prefer, but everyone is more than friendly.

Portions are also pretty good.

Pros: Price, Portions, Tasty

Cons: Water takes a while to get

Oldie But a Goodie - Edit

Awesome place to eat with omnivores and vegans alike - it's hard to find breakfast places like that!

When I went to VCU, I lived a block and a half from 821. It's since changed addresses (it's at 825 now), but the food is still just as good and it's now much cleaner.

Tips:

1) a must order: Rosemary Potatoes. Do not forget to order the rosemary potatoes.
2) Tofu Po Boy, Breakfast Burrito, & Tofu Scramble are my faves. Good grits, fresh fruit... They have sriracha and are good about coffee refills and knowing what's vegan and what's not. (their biscuits are not vegan, btw)...
3) Sometimes they have delicious vegan desserts! They are posted on the walls with the day's specials on a chalkboard on the front window (hard to see at times).
4) expect a wait on the weekends if you go after 1015/1030am
5) speed of food delivery is hit or miss. I've been in there with two other tables and haven't received my food for half an hour. I've been with a packed house and received my food in 10 min. Worth the wait though.

Pros: good atmosphere and vibe, usually friendly staff! , Great place for people of all diets.

The place to go for breakfast - Edit

Their new building is much newer and cleaner. They have a really good vegan breakfast menu. Everything I've tried was great. The service is good too.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Good selection

Cons: Serves meat:(

Favorite vegan breakfast in Richmond - Edit

Although they serve meat and cheese, they still have the best vegan breakfasts! The vegan breakfast burrito is awesome. They also serve some vegan cakes from Blackbird Bakery that are pretty tasty.

Pros: good vegan food, good service, nice atmosphere

Cons: a little small/can get crowded

Return to Richmond Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe 821 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4050 times since Feb 2010.