Cacao Tree Cafe

Contact 248-336-9043

204 W 4th St (at S Main), Royal Oak, Michigan, USA, 48067

Vegan restaurant specializing in raw foods and detox cuisine using local and organic ingredients. Daily soups and salads, wheatgrass shots, desserts, juices and smoothies, handmade raw chocolates. Modern & natural space. Open Mon-Sat 8:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar

First Review by Keith_Thode

Tucked away in the corner of the street - Edit

Had the unchix sandwich and a beet juice drink. Very tasty "chix" made from sunflower seeds on a wrap. Gingery beet juice was just the drink on a hot and muggy day.

Had a nice picnic area out back, next to the parking garage. Lots of trees, a picnic table. Ate outside and was protected from the humidity for some reason ;0

Pros: Nice sized portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Bit overpriced

Quesadilla Was Okay - Edit

I got the quesadilla and I was pretty "whatever" about it. Not sure why they insist on keeping it in "quesadilla" form because it's served cold... I ended up rolling it up like a wrap to eat it easier. It was very filling I'll give it that! I only had half of it and saved the rest.

I also got a small chickenless salad to try. It does taste like chicken salad! Texture is obviously way different but I liked it. I also tried the raspberry cheesecake square... that was yummy!

This place is pricey so get ready for that. What else would you expect from a niche restaurant in Royal Oak?

Pros: Friendly Service, Interesting options, Enough food for leftovers

Cons: Expensive

Oh Boy - Edit

The only thing better than the food was the service. I got the quesadilla and am still dreaming about it. Everything there is vegan and gluten-free, so I was in heaven. The three ladies working were SO fun and friendly. I'd live there if I could.

Okay raw food, cute location - Edit

I am vegan, but not raw. I don't generally go for raw restaurants because my husband is allergic to raw cashews and raw carrots, and raw food leans heavily on those ingredients. We had their quesadilla and farm hand salad with ranch because we were passing through town and hungry for vegan options.

Quesadilla was pretty good. It was folded in half and the ingredients spilled out a little, probably because it was raw so the nut cheese couldn't melt and work as glue. It had a little spice, which I always like! Nice flavor. Salad was fine, but nothing special. They were out of avocado that day, which was kind of a shame, for both the quesadilla and the salad. The food menu here is small (several salads and wraps). Might be nice to see them offer more in the future, and get a little more creative than only salads, juices, and wraps.

My favorite thing was actually this little dessert we picked up on a whim on our way out. It was like a thin crust with chocolate and maybe coconut and peanut butter on top. I'm not sure what was in it, and it was $5 for a couple little bites, but I enjoyed it!

It was a cold and snowy day in Michigan so I think the raw food just wasn't cutting it in terms of comfort. But that's my problem, not Cacao's.

Ambience was cute and pleasant. The people working there are friendly and helpful. Overall, if you're into raw food and in the neighborhood, I'm sure you would find this to be a great option.

Pros: ambience, desserts, friendly employees

Cons: smaller menu

A Haven - Edit

I relatively recently adopted a vegan diet. This week I have gone out several times to restaurants and friends' houses. And honestly, before coming to Cacao Tree Cafe, being socially vegan left me feeling not just hungry but like an outsider. Cacao Tree Cafe is a welcome change. I had the Heart Strong juice, Thai curry, and pumpkin square dessert. Each was delicious. The curry was just perfect. Warm and comforting and filling. I actually felt full and had left overs to take home. The best part, after the food, is the staff. They are welcoming and knowledgeable and really made the experience that much more special. I highly recommend Cacao Tree Cafe.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Convenient parking

Raw in Royal Oak - Edit

Was really stoked on this place on my first couple visits, but am sad to say that it has gone downhill. Still has a nice menu for elixirs and smoothies, fresh juices etc, but I feel that the quality of a lot of their other options has declined. They used to do really good daily specials, and they didn't have one this time. I asked the girl at the counter and she said they weren't doing them anymore. Bummer. The desserts were my favorite part of the menu before, and that is where I felt I saw the steepest droop in quality. Not a bad option, but not as good as I remember it being.

Pros: Good location, Healthy rawish veg food in Detroit area, Friendly staff

Cons: Desserts could be, and were better, Small menu, limited options, I prefer Inn Season, but I'm not raw

THE BEST - Edit

This is our favorite restaurant when we visit Royal Oak. Inn Season is delicious, but Cacao Tree nails it. The food is innovative and healthy, the staff is knowledgeable, friendly and not-elitist AT ALL, and the ingredients are incredibly fresh. We are vegan but not raw, so we typically start off with a cooked soup, then have an entree and try to save room for a homemade, fresh dessert. ANy special with the zucchini noodles is awesome. So is anything served with the nut taco meat.

Pros: fresh, innovative, friendly, incredibly kind staff

Cons: expensive, hot in the summer, not exactly kid-friendly

Simply the Best - Edit

This area was ripe for this type of restaurant, and with the competition from other types of good restaurants in the area, it has to be great. Even if there were other Raw, Vegan restaurants in the area, Cacao Tree would probably still be the best. Wonderful, helpful waitstaff, friendly, cozy atmosphere, soups, salads, wraps and sandwiches area all great. And, if you're a chocolate lover, well.......go experience it for yourself.

If you're not familiar with the area, it may not be the easiest to find, but word of mouth about this place is spreading fast and those in the area have discovered it. Those outside the area will find it worth the search. The easiest way to find it is to park in the large public parking structure (free until 5pm). Walk out of the south end of the structure, and the Cacao Tree is right in front of you on the right.

Return to Royal Oak Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cacao Tree Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6534 times since Nov 2010.