By Chloe - Covent Garden

n/a

Drury House, 34-43 Russel St, Covent Garden, London, England, WC2B 5HA

First UK outpost of US chain opened Feb 2018. A fast-casual vegan cafe serving quick meals and bakery treats. Menu offers burgers and salads, smoothies and brunch foods. Has shepherds pie, tofish & chips. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, American, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, British

First Review by Vegancucc

great food, a must-visit - Edit

Great vegan fast food and lots of choice. Sticky toffee pudding is amazing. Some disappointing details - they use disposable tableware and cutlery when you eat in, which is a shame - but it’s a must-try for quality of food and drinks. Good for non vegan friends too, the burger tastes pretty close to a Big Mac.

Pros: food, lots of choice

Cons: packaging and tableware, weird vibe, a bit disorganised

The best salad I’ve ever had - Edit

My omni boyfriend and I visited by Chloe in London and it was so delicious he asked to go back the next day! There is an extensive menu to take out or eat in and a chiller with cakes, sandwiches and salads if you’re in a rush. There really is something for everyone.

Only okay - Edit

There's a varied, all-vegan menu, and my food and coffee were fine, but it's not cheap and has definite room for improvement.

The mac 'n cheese was tasty with varied textures. Oddly, it was not macaroni at all, but rather conchiglie! The sauce is made with sweet potato, so I shouldn't have been surprised that it was indeed rather sweet. A blueberry muffin tasted good despite a slightly dry texture.

However, the biggest negative factor was the ordering system. After ordering and paying for your food, you have to choose between awkwardly waiting at the counter, or sitting out of the way but also out of earshot. My coffee was made immediately, so that and the muffin were served a little while before the savoury food. Luckily, I'm happy to drink my coffee warm rather than hot...

Pros: Varied, all-vegan menu

Cons: Ordering system , Room for improvement in the food

Overhyped & Overpriced - Edit

Don’t get me wrong, the food was delightful. However the prices are extortionate considering it is self service, and the service that we did receive wasn’t that great. It took us about 10 minutes to explain that we had been given the wrong drink size (payed for a large, given a small), and when they finally understood and made us a new one, they put it on someone else’s tray and gave it to someone else!

I was disappointed with my experience as I had such high hopes. Hopefully the competence of the staff improved with time.

Pros: Great food

Cons: Overpriced, Staff service and competence

Doesn’t quite live up to the hype - yet. - Edit

A bright and fresh restaurant designed in black and white with exposed wooden shelving covered in little green plants, swing’ seats in the window and lots of plug sockets for people to charge their devices.

Loved the pink neon sign, saying ‘Guac save the Queen’.

Lots of would-be customers hovering by the door and around the packed restaurant, waiting for tables to vacate. No indication of what the system is, just staff behind the counter asking “who’s next?” to order. A door person could easily solve this and avoid some of the ‘will I get a table without getting in someone’s way’ anxiety.
I found a table after about a five minute wait and ordered my food - Guac Burger and ‘Air dried’ fries, £13.00 total.
The lady took my name and said someone would call me, I tried to tell her where in the restaurant I would be sitting but there was no way to make a note of this.

After about 6 minutes I noticed a staff member wandering around the restaurant gently calling my name, she showed me the ticket to confirm that was what I’d ordered and I pushed back through the next lot of hovering customers to the counter where my food was sitting, waiting for me.
By the time I got some beet ketchup and chipotle aioli (both delicious) and got back to my table, the chips were lukewarm and the black bean and quinoa burger patty was less than tepid with what disappointingly tasted like a stale burger bun. I wondered what the kitchen set up was and how long the burger had sat on top of the bun before the lettuce leaves, red onion, avo and sweet corn (all very tasty and fridge cold) were put on top of it, and then how long the tray had sat on the side before someone picked it up and sat it on the counter top (not heated) while the sweet - but possibly too gentle - staff member wandered round looking for someone called Anna.

I heard the people next to me discussing that they’d get an email when their food was ready but I hadn’t been given that option. I wondered if I should have waited by the counter but I would have been in the way and possibly lost my seat.

I didn’t enjoy my burger because it was too cold, Indont think it was supposed to be, but I could be wrong there. The chips were tasty and if they’d been hot, would have been delicious with the two dips.

I’m sure these are just teething problems and hope that if I return in a few months, the system might be better organised and if it’s quieter, I hope the food will be hot. At the moment, @bigvlondon still holds the burger crown.

Pros: Fresh food, nice atmosphere, good location, someth

Cons: Tepid food, systems don’t quite work.

nice food, nice place - quite expensive though! - Edit

Love Chloe in New York and was very excited that it was coming to London. Venue is really nice with swing seats and lots of space. Menu is large and varied and food good too! But, I had the shepherds pie and it was really small and just came on its own, no salad or anything so it was way too expensive in my opinion at £7.80 or something!!! I will go again and try the burgers! Also the plastic cups weren't plantware as far as I could tell nor was the tea cup which is disappointing if that is the case!

Quite tasty but won't hurry back - Edit

I went in the afternoon and had a tea and cookie whilst my partner had the meatball sub. You pay for your food and then wait (we were told "maximum 9 mins"), they'll call your name for you to collect your food when it's ready. We luckily got some seats near where the food is handed out so we could relax whilst waiting, but most people just stand nearby which isn't really ideal as it can be a longish wait.
The meatball sub was delicious - although it was almost £10. My partner felt it was worth it as a one off because it was so tasty. My cookie came in a bag and my tea in a disposable cup even though we were eating in - I think this is standard for the place, everything is in takeaway packaging but I didn't realise this beforehand and would have asked them to use my coffeecup had I known. The amount of packaging waste generated here is really high and even though some of it is Vegware (compostable) it would still be easy for them to cut down. The cookie was average tasting and quite expensive.
We went back in the evening to try the £7.80 fish and chips, and I felt this was pretty tasty and not a bad price compared to most other things on the menu.

The place was really busy both times we went, with many customers not being vegetarian or vegan (many wearing fur etc).

Pros: tasty meatball sub

Cons: quite expensive, waiting around for your food , packaging waste

The American chain has arrived at London - Edit

By Chloe is an American vegan fast food restaurant close to Covent Garden. Apart from hamburgers it also offers creative salads, brunch foods on the weekends, tofish and chips, Shepherd's pie, fresh juices, Kombucha, hot drinks, cupcakes, breakfast foods like scrambled tofu, mac n' cheese, soups, sandwiches, frozen desserts and more. Also sells cupcakes and snacks for dogs.
I really liked the idea that you can ask for air baked sweet potato fries or normal fries.
The interior is modern, comfortable and fun.
Unfortunately, my food was cold when I received it. The hamburger bun and the patty were burned. For me the beet ketchup was too sweet. I was shocked about the amount of paper that came with my meal. There are recycling stations though.
The staff was very nice.

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, central location, Exciting vegan menu, Great salad selection

Cons: Lots of rubbish generated with one meal, Food was cold and burned.

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has By Chloe - Covent Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.