Busboys and Poets - Langston Lofts

• Veg-friendly
Contact 202-387-7638

2021 14th St (at V St), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20009

Serves meat, vegan options available. Flagship location opened in Sept 2005, in the Langston Lofts residential building in Washington's historic U Street Corridor. It's funky and artsy with an independent bookstore inside, lots of murals, political activism, night time open mic. Offers many vegan choices, marked on the menu, including vegan brunch eggs and egg wrap, soy yogurt and granola (for brunch), vegan pizza and calzone, quesadilla, falafel, hummus, portabello sandwich, veggie burger, PB & banana sandwich, baked tofu cake, vegan dessert. Has Wi-Fi.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by prettykitty

Just fantastic! - Edit

I love everything about B&P! I have been to this location, as well as the 5th & K one and the new Brookland one. They are all excellent, but this one is just uniquely bustling in a very cool neighborhood. They are a social justice / arts / civil rights mission-driven business, with fantastic food and drinks. They very clearly label many, many items vegan. Some of my all time favs are the coconut-crusted tofu bites (divine!!) and the vegan cobb salad (I think it's called that). It gets really crowded for weekend brunch.

busy spot but great food - Edit

I visited this location of B&P once over inauguration weekend. It was busy (a 35 minute wait), but the brunch menu offers some great selections. My husband and I are both vegan, and there are good vegan options always available.

He had the wheatberry and spinach salad, with a side of tempeh bacon. The salad was a great contrast of flavors and textures, and the bacon was nice and smokey. I tried the tempeh panini with fruit on the side. The sandwich was tasty and the fruit was fresh.

The environment here is great, and they seem to be able to handle big groups as well as just a couple people. The menu has a vegetarian and vegan selections, but is mostly meat, so this would be a good restaurant for a group where everyone will want something different.

We went back the next day, as we wanted to try something off the dinner menu, and the wait was about 90 minutes! I called the other 5th Street location, and they noted they only had a 30 minute wait. Something to keep in mind if you are hungry and/or don't want to hang out in the bookstore for a long time.

Pros: location --easy to access, great food for mixed group (veg and non), prices are okay

Cons: can be a long wait, staff seemed very stressed

My Favorite DC Restaurant - Edit

My favorite DC restaurant!!! I live in NJ and sometimes I think about making the drive south to come eat here.

A great place for vegetarians and vegans to take their meat eating friends...they get their cooked flesh and you get some great vegetarian food.

Also, the Vegan cheesecake is the best I've had. The first time I had it I asked the waitress to double check that she gave me the right cheesecake.

There are three locations and I prefer the two in DC but the U Street location is my favorite.

Pros: Great to take meat eaters, nice staff, bookstore

Delicious vegan food - Edit

It took me awhile to try this place, but I was so glad that I did! I had tried the pan-seared basil tofu with risotto, and then went back the next day with a friend and got it again! It is one of the more expensive things on the menu (~$11?) but well worth it. There is a great atmosphere and lots of seating.

Pros: Extensive vegan menu, Cozy atmosphere

Great place, Vegan Treats desserts - Edit

Went here twice while in DC and had a fantastic meal both times. There are plentiful choices for vegans, and it is a good place to go if dining with non-vegans. On my first visit, I had The Vegan pizza - delicious, and they got the cheese to melt! On my second visit, I had the pan-seared basil tofu with risotto, which was even tastier, and a more authentic vegan dish (no "fake" anything, just great food). The ambiance was nice and the service was good. But the best thing of all was the desserts. They are supplied by the legendary Vegan Treats (the bakery in Bethlehem, PA which also supplies many of the NYC outlets). I had a chocolate brownie with ice cream which was to die for, and a fabulous raspberry cheesecake. Both were sumptuous. If I had had more days in DC, I would have gone again, and it will be a priority if I ever go back. Check it out! (I would give the vegan food 5 stars, but the maximum allowed is 4 stars because the restaurant is not entirely vegetarian.)

Pros: Fantastic food, Laid-back atmosphere, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Not all vegetarian

Eclectic and Fun - Edit

This is a bookstore and restaurant and is a very big place. We went for lunch and it was packed except for one room so we got a pretty quiet lunch. We didn't get to see any poetry readings but the stage looked fun. We both had pizza. I had one called The Vegan and it was very good. The server was friendly. They also have couches where individuals were working on their laptops. Our taxi driver told us this location was bigger than the 5th Avenue one and the Metro is nearby. Definitely glad I went.

Pros: Fun, Delicious

Cons: Serves Meat

Artsy cafe - Edit

This resturant serves vegitarian and vegan options although it is not 100% vegitarian. There is an amazing book store inside and plenty of art work. I am in to art and enjoy eating there. My suggestion is to check it out for yourself.

Pros: Vegan options, charming, picturesque

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Busboys and Poets - Langston Lofts closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2545 times since Aug 2009.