Burma Superstar

415-387-2147

309 Clement St (at Richmond District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94118

Serves meat, vegan options available. One of a few locations, this one is in an intimate space. Offers a traditional Burmese menu with a vegetable & tofu section. Well known for its tea leaf salad. Does not accept reservations and gets crowded so expect a wait. Note: Reportedly uses MSG in many items. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-3:30pm, Mon 5:00pm-9:30pm, Tue-Sat 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:30pm.

Categories: Beer/Wine, Take-out, Burmese, Southeast Asian, Non-veg

First Review by AshleyLorden

a 5 star for me - Edit

This place is fenomenal everything we ordered was amazing from the ginger lemonade to the leaf salad, the noodles and the eggplant ... Dreamy as it can be. Even if is not fully vegetarian or vegan restaurant, it does have all the variety and great vegan options. For me it was a party on my mouth every bite ! This is a 5 star !

Pros: lots of vegetarian vegan options great unique tast

Cons: a little pricy but totally worth it waiting list

Excellent Burmese Food - Edit

Burma Superstar was a great experience - each dish included simple flavors executed extremely well, combined with very friendly and attentive service. We went for lunch, which turned out to be a good idea, as they said the wait could be 1-2 hours during dinnertime. The menu was huge and really had something for everyone - vegetarian, carnivore, spice lovers and not.

Drinks- I had ginger lemon iced tea and my boyfriend had a mango lassi. Both were great - they give you a mini-pitcher of tea when you order the iced tea, and it was great - the ginger and lemon were combined in a perfect mixture without being overwhelming and also had a pinch of sweetness to it. The lassi was filling and sweet, like a mango milkshake!

Food- After surveying the menu, we planned on ordering the tea leaf salad and eggplant/tofu curry. However, our waitress also mentioned that most people come particularly for the samosa soup - while we knew it'd be a lot of food, we didn't want to miss out! The soup came out first, served piping hot. It was full of a lot of flavors - samosa, falafel, onion, cabbage and a hearty broth. The samosa and falafel both had many components to them, and the serving was more than enough for two people - we were each able to have two bowls-worth. The salad came out before the soup was done, each component was served up separately on one large dish and tossed in front of us. The salad looked rather uneventful before being tossed, but each of the flavors complemented one another so nicely. The tea leaf dressing pulled everything together, and there was lots of crunch in this salad and all the vegetables were quite fresh! At this point, we were already getting full, when a rather large eggplant dish was brought out. The eggplant was particularly tender and the curry served with it had quite a heat! The tofu tasted like it was marinated in a bit of a sweet sauce, which gave at least a bit of a reprieve from all of the heat!

At this point, we were both extremely full. Our waitress had checked up on us many times to make sure we were satisfied and happy, without being overbearing. While there are very few (I'm not sure there are any!) restaurants I'd wait outside for two hours for (they don't take reservations), all of the food was very quality. Definitely a bit pricey, particularly for a lunch time meal, though servings were very generous and you could easily have a bowl of cereal or very light meal for dinner.

Lots of vegan options! - Edit

I was impressed. I'd never had Burmese food before, and this was really good. Ordered a bunch of things to share with a friend, and everything we tried was delicious.

Good service, fresh ingredients, and great food.

Pros: LOTS of vegan options, Delicious

Cons: Serves meat

Great spot, be prepared to wait for table - Edit

San Franciscans fawn over Burma Superstar and its tea leaf salad, and I have to agree, it's probably the best salad I've ever eaten. Arguably the most famous and most upscale of Burmese restaurants in the city (the others are mostly hole-in-the-wall), the food, service and ambiance are all very good here, while still being an informal place to relax over a meal with friends, family or a date.

The downside? You'll almost certainly have to wait outside the restaurant (there's a bench if you can get a spot) for your table unless you time a visit exactly right, as it's always crowded. You'll also be sitting close enough to the people around you that it's not a good place to have a private conversation. Try sending someone ahead to get on the list while you park (you'll probably need to circle the surrounding streets), or wander through nearby Green Apple Books while you wait. Be sure to wear layers if it's cold!

The upside? Fresh, healthy, colorful, delicious food. The tea leaf salad with tea directly from Burma is unmissable. There's a good selection of vegan dishes (some are spicy, be careful if you don't like it hot!). There's a happy, buzzing vibe and eating here will make you feel good.

Prices are moderate and well worth it.

We brought my rather close-minded parents here who don't normally eat any Asian food except American-Chinese, and they loved it and can't wait to go back.

Pros: Healthy, Delicious

Cons: Waiting, Not around good public transit

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Burma Superstar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.